The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad News, looks like the Korean Surplus is gone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Beezer Beezer wrote:

@New2brass I think it was the crate unveiling from Classic Firearms where they referred to National Fork and Hoe.  

I have a bayonet with UFH on one side of the blade and AFH on the other.  I got em both covered.  Maybe the scabbard is NFH. Ha

They mention it at about the 1:03 mark in the video

CF recently started selling JRA refurb carbines using some of the rifles acquired from RTI. Pricing starts @$1499. 7:35 in they again mention the "National Fork and Hoe" though they seem a little uncertain at that point in naming manufacturers. Well, they got a few of them right, and capture some of the essence of what makes collecting them cool.

https://youtu.be/OjpxGF_WprA
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 6:06pm
yeah, I got that email last week and watched the video.  I cringe whenever those two do a review. It’s like Laurel and Hardy
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 6:25pm
I wonder if they meant National Postal Meter?
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 6:46pm
they mentioned National Postal Meter before they said “some farm equipment company”.  They just clueless Gun sellers.  I try to avoid people like that at shows and gun stores.  Buy the gun not the story but make sure it’s not a National Farm and Hoe gun
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2020 at 9:53am
HOLY PRICE JUMPS BATMAN

$637 a case now. Looks like I'll be mothballing my Carbines when I use up my stash of Korean.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

HOLY PRICE JUMPS BATMAN

$637 a case now. Looks like I'll be mothballing my Carbines when I use up my stash of Korean.

Ditto that! A month or so ago I paid $400 with free shipping from Midway and wondered if I over paid. Now I'm shocked to hear the rapidly rising prices and planning to conserve the ammo I'm lucky enough to have. Who knows how long this ammo famine will last.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2020 at 8:22pm
That's quite a price jump!

I bought a case from Widener's about 3 weeks ago, cost a smidge over $400 with shipping. Other than the few dozen rounds I used for the "review", I don't plan on shooting any, at least as long as my reloading components hold out.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2020 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

Who knows how long this ammo famine will last.

It's hard to gauge.  Depends on continued demand and how much, if any, foriegn made supply is available and exported to US.   
That said, looks like into next year.  Vista Outdoor's CEO stated at the most  recent earnings call that they currently have over a years worth of orders.  I dont know if that includes the Remmington ammo or just the Federal.   I do think it is based on standard production levels, but that's just based on the logic that he would have phrased it differently if it meant running overtime or around the clock.
He specifically stated he would not normally report on this each quarter but he wanted to include this important indication of the long term strength of the business.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2020 at 8:32am
Lookin' around this morning I see it appears Bud's Gunshop dropped the Team Membership requirement for the Korean Surplus and upped the price by $20 to $409.99.  Figure about another $75-$80 for shipping and taxes.  

AmmoMan and BulkAmmo both show it in stock but both at >$500 with taxes and applicable shipping.

Has anybody tried Creedmoor Sports .30 Carbine110GR FMJ on CMP estore?  It's $178 for 250. ~$0.71/rnd.  Half-again more than Bud's Korean final price  ~$0.45/rnd.  Perhaps just wait and hope PRVI comes back into the 35 cents/rnd range?
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2020 at 8:52am
I was at the north store last weekend and the helpful guy behind the counter said the Creedmore is better than the Aquila .30 carbine ammo they sell.  They have a lot more listed in the store than on the e-store.  
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Beezer Beezer wrote:

I was at the north store last weekend and the helpful guy behind the counter said the Creedmore is better than the Aquila .30 carbine ammo they sell.  They have a lot more listed in the store than on the e-store.  
^The mostful tip of the day! Thanks Wink
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2020 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Lookin' around this morning I see it appears Bud's Gunshop dropped the Team Membership requirement for the Korean Surplus and upped the price by $20 to $409.99.  Figure about another $75-$80 for shipping and taxes.  

AmmoMan and BulkAmmo both show it in stock but both at >$500 with taxes and applicable shipping.

Has anybody tried Creedmoor Sports .30 Carbine110GR FMJ on CMP estore?  It's $178 for 250. ~$0.71/rnd.  Half-again more than Bud's Korean final price  ~$0.45/rnd.  Perhaps just wait and hope PRVI comes back into the 35 cents/rnd range?

I ordered a case when it was $399 for team members, it ran around $38 bucks for both. 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2020 at 10:20pm
Overall I think this ammo a good deal at around $400 per can. If one wanted you can recoup roughly:
Brass - .10 x 1000 = $100
Bandoleers w/stripper clips - $15 x 9 = $135
Ammo can = $10
$245 per can

One never knows, but I'll bet we don't see .30 carbine surplus again for a long time. My personal favorite was when CMP received the pristine 1350 round cans of LC a few years ago. $520 per can IIRC.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2020 at 10:37pm
Just ordered one more can from Bud's.
$479.35 delivered including 7% sales tax = $0.444 per rnd- still a bargain!
JMHOThumbs Up
Don
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2020 at 9:23am
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

Just ordered one more can from Bud's.
$479.35 delivered including 7% sales tax = $0.444 per rnd- still a bargain!
JMHOThumbs Up

I must of have lucked out, they didn't charge me tax. 
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2020 at 4:05pm

Earlier in the year TN didn't get charged unless they had a store in TN. That made for a better deal.  Looks like those days are gone.   But that's OK, TN isn't in the red like some other states.  
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Earlier in the year TN didn't get charged unless they had a store in TN. That made for a better deal.  Looks like those days are gone.   But that's OK, TN isn't in the red like some other states.  

What surprised me is I'm in Ohio, you think a KY based store would have charged taxes
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2021 at 3:34pm
Not the greatest price but not the worst either, SG Ammo is selling 200 round packs of Korean Surplus ammo for $124.95.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2021 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Not the greatest price but not the worst either, SG Ammo is selling 200 round packs of Korean Surplus ammo for $124.95.

Interesting this configuration is the 50 round boxes which look just like the USGI boxes except they have one side in English and one side in Korean like the cans and crates they ship in. Pretty cool. I'll bet they made 1350 round cans as well and some of those were imported along with the 1080 round cans on strippers/bandoleers. I have not seen the 50 round boxes at other dealers, I wonder how much of it there is and if it's being held.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2021 at 8:31pm
It also has a different head stamp than the other Korean Surplus ammo (P S 7 8), I bought 5 of the 200 round packs, seems to shoot about the same.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123