The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad News, looks like the Korean Surplus is gone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Beezer Beezer wrote:

I got an email today from Classic Firearms, they must purchase from RTI because they are selling gunsmith refurb carbines and cans of Korean ammo. Hurry, only 1 can left.  Ha

Yikes Dead $1500 bucks for a import marked Inland? I'm ignoring a Saginaw at a LGS right now I can inspect for $1300 bucks, and I think if I offered $1100 I could get it since it's been there awhile. 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 7:51pm
To All,
I just searched and found the Korean for$449.00 @ Palmetto (says in stock) don't know shipping cost. But cheapest I seen while searching today.

If I own 1 M1 carbine, I consider the cupboards bare @ 1,000 loaded rds.
This is my rule of thumb for each arm I own. Minimum is 1,000 rds per arm.
Except shotguns, they take up too much space. And except black powder muzzle loaders.

Below are the only calibers I reload for my household:
I always keep enough components to reload in excess of 10,000 carbine rds.
And about 1/4 that amount (more for some, less for others) for: .25ACP, .32ACP, .38 spl, .357, .45 ACP, .45LC, .223 / .556, .300 Win mag, .270, 30-30 and .308.

I do reload for 9mm but do so just for a couple friends. I don't use or own a 9mm.

Buy everything bulk:
Misc size/type primers, powders and bullet tips. Costly at first but pays for itself in the long run. Worth it to not have to worry at times like this and possibly the future.

Can't reload Rimfire, So I pull off Bulk buys of .22lr in multiple 500 count bricks up to 5,000 - 10,000.
Smaller lots when trying a new to me brand.
When I can catch the best deals.

Also have a limited stash of older rimfire ammo like .32 rim for some early revolvers and rifles. And .25 rim for a few early Stevens rifles.
Which reminds me of my Fathers collection of old Rolling Blocks and Falling block I haven't opened up in years. IIRC he had a few Remingtons, Stevens, Sharps and Browning along with some others I can't remember. Those are in the 'Never Shoot Locker'.
Maybe this winter I'll get some pictures of them if anyone is interested in seeing them.

I fear the day 'They' decide to limit or ban supplies for reloaders.

Sorry a bit Off Topic, got to reminiscing.

Buy while you can and Good Luck,

Charle-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 7:56pm
Oh my!
I'm a little short on ammo then.
I'd need 25k rnds of carbine and only have 4 or 5k.Cry
Don
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 8:26pm
Looks like the Classic JRA refurbs are selling well. As we say in WI, pricey.. I'd seen their email earlier in the day and they had all MFG on the page above but Rock-ola was crossed out I think. Watched the video, they spoke of the manufacturer "National Fork and Hoe" again, now that's one I don't have (and I suppose will elude me till the end of my days).
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

Oh my!
I'm a little short on ammo then.
I'd need 25k rnds of carbine and only have 4 or 5k.Cry

It's like therapy loading.
I figure 1k rds per carbine is ok. No different than buying a can of Korean.

Pre Obama I got caught low on supplies. Told myself I'd never let it happen again.
But to be honest after reading back thru my post......... I believe I'm a Hoarder !
But when the Wife and 2 grown kids along with my DIL head over to shoot, you can sure go thru a lot of ammo in a afternoon. Doesn't help that my Rifle club is a 8 minute drive away.
Maybe cheaper to move ?

Safe Weekend To You,

Charlie-P777
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

they spoke of the manufacturer "National Fork and Hoe"

I have a WWII Army dated 44 American Fork and Hoe pick axe.
I used it for years as a door stop in the barn (no handle) until cleaning it up and oiling it one day and seen the markings. Gotta find a handle some day for it.
Wonder how it would look displayed with that super rare National Fork and Hoe Carbine !!

Good Weekend To you,
Charlie-P777
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 9:17pm
I've 4800 rounds .30 Carbine right now for 5 Carbines so in theory I'm short 200 rounds Confused  The Korean I'm using for range ammo for the next few months until it's gone and then I'll have to see how the ammo situation is. I run through that I've 3000 rounds so we'll see

I got got short on my ammo stash post Newtown shooting and that got me "out" of Carbines for a couple years (I had 400 rounds .30 Carbine that week and 2 Carbines back then....they sat for a couple years)

Thank God for .22. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 10:12pm
Don,
Our range days are quickly winding down, most out there now are knocking the dust off their Deer rifles as gun season starts Sunday the 15th. Unless our Governor decides to lock us down again. I'm not much for shooting more than a 100rds or so when it gets below freezing with a couple feet of snow.
This becomes my reloading season until (or if) the lakes freeze over for ice fishing.

But on to the indoor range and yes thank God for the .22 and pistol calibers.
It helps but nothing beats the ping of the plates!

I dream of attending a gun show. Haven't had a show this year, State has so many restrictions the usual promoter of shows in my area cancelled all their shows this year, with nothing planned so far for 2021.
I've only been to a couple swap meets at the club. Same guys.... same stuff. I nearly bought a S&W Model 19 in .357 before I realized I was the one who sold it to him 3 or 4 years ago Confused

Cheers,
Charlie-P777
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 10:26pm
I'm scaling back myself with cold weather getting closer. I "plan" on 2-3 more outdoor sessions before the end of the year as I get time off for the holidays, so I figure that'll take 400-600 rounds of .30 Carbine.

Come spring that'll give me 1000 rounds Korean, hopefully something will be back in stock by then.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2020 at 8:38am
Geez, some peeps can really burn through ammo. Thats cool if thats what you need do to enjoy your carbines. As for me, I'm generally happy emptying 2 50rd boxes at the range. But, I generally bring other range toys to shoot as well. So I might go through another 50 to 100rds of some pistol ammo. That said, I'll probably be backing off on the range trips to conserve my ammo supply. I think I have about 1.5k of 30 carbine stocked. Included is a untouched can of Korean ammo.Wink

I do collect my 30 carbine casings as I may start reloading that caliber.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2020 at 9:26am
I run 100 rounds minimum every range session per gun, and normally take 2-3 guns a trip. Last couple trips have been purely M-1 Carbines so that's 200-300 rounds a day, it adds up quick
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2020 at 6:00pm
Painter! You sound like me! Anything under 1,000 round in a caliber is an empty cupboard! And I load for about the same number of calibers, although a few a different like .30-06, 8mm, .300 blk, 7.62x54 and 9mm. Most of the others, I have and load for. Also load for 12 ga., 16 ga., 20 ga. and .410. The 16 and .410 are the only ones I allow to got down to 500 rounds. I just don't shoot them that much. As for carbine, I keep around 5,000 as a minimum. 
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2020 at 6:14pm
 My sons and I are having an impromptu Veterans Day shoot at the outdoor range tomorrow.   I was going thru my stock.  I still have 2 cans of Korean .30 cal.  I’m low on .303 british, only 200 rnds left, 7mm and 8mm Mauser 500 each and 7.62x54r I have 700 rnds with another 500 on the way.  All them silly guys at the range won’t know what to do when they hear a “real” rifle go off.  95% of the shooters have some sort of AR variant.  I’m leaving mine at home.  It’s time to let the big guns bark.  Man I’m excited like a kid on Christmas Eve.  
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2020 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Beezer Beezer wrote:

My sons and I are having an impromptu Veterans Day shoot at the outdoor range tomorrow.   I was going thru my stock.  I still have 2 cans of Korean .30 cal.  I’m low on .303 british, only 200 rnds left, 7mm and 8mm Mauser 500 each and 7.62x54r I have 700 rnds with another 500 on the way.  All them silly guys at the range won’t know what to do when they hear a “real” rifle go off.  95% of the shooters have some sort of AR variant.  I’m leaving mine at home.  It’s time to let the big guns bark.  Man I’m excited like a kid on Christmas Eve.  

My AR's have been parked for a couple months now, I hate cutting into my ammo stash for those. I figure when my stash of Korean is gone we'll see what the market is doing on ammo.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 1:05am
Four carbines here, and I got one of the last cans of Korean from Widener's a few days ago. So I have that and 200-300 rounds loaded and stored, which is plenty. Since I have a range at my house I shoot carbines frequently, but that is done with cast bullets loaded to the same level as the original military load, so the jacketed stuff is rarely if ever fired. 

I have hundreds of pounds of wheelweights, enough to cast bullets for all my handguns and rifles from now on. Plenty of powder, primers, brass and .22 LR.

One thing I'm careful about is if I'm checking or adjusting sights, or testing a new load, I find no need in burning through an excess amount of ammunition. Even when I just want to shoot, I'll usually limit myself to a couple of 15 round magazines at a time. 
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 10:02am
"Even when I just want to shoot, I'll usually limit myself to a couple of 15 round magazines at a time. "

That makes sense to me. I may shoot several different things during an outing, but usually with a purpose - like sighting in, checking a modification or repair, or a "new" to me firearm.

Don
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 11:10am
National Fork and Hoe???? I know Union Fork and Hoe of Columbus, Ohio and American Fork and Hoe of Geneva/Ashtabula, Ohio, but not National. I have a bayonet and hatchet from American Fork and Hoe of Ashtabula. I grew up 2 blocks from that plant in Ashtabula. Where was National?
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

The real question is whether ammo shortages are going to get worse before it gets better and for how long?

I can't answer that directly but the choke point is lack of primers.
The authors of two articles I looked at contacted at least some of the manufacturers but had not delved deeper.
The bottom line is that there are four US manufacturers and one, Remmington, had financial issues which in turn effected their ability to purchase materials.  So that, plus things already discussed here such as increase in demand far greater than normal production, reduced work staff, and possibly disrupted transportation, has dried up what was available.

So the answer to when depends on whether overseas shipments (if any in quantity) plus US manufacturing will start to refill the backorders and rebuild normal stock.  I suspect either industry newsletters or business papers would be the most likely news sources with insight on these. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 3:45pm
@ Smokepole
There was a video of the Royal Tiger Imports (RTI) carbines. I believe an individual in the video stated
National Fork and Hoe as a rare M1 carbine manufacturer.

Maybe someone can link that video.
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 4:18pm
@New2brass I think it was the crate unveiling from Classic Firearms where they referred to National Fork and Hoe.  

I have a bayonet with UFH on one side of the blade and AFH on the other.  I got em both covered.  Maybe the scabbard is NFH. Ha

They mention it at about the 1:03 mark in the video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>