Royal Tiger Underwood - Range report 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Royal Tiger Underwood - Range report 2
    Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 9:42pm
I 1951 Standard Products and Underwood had rebuild contracts for 400,000 each.

So that is only 800,000 of 6 million carbines meedi g rebuild and updates. So imagine how many the arsenals were doing.

Then look at the overhaul procedures 

And the 9 known rebuilders plus FN overseas doing overhaul.
If the each did 400,000 that brings us to 4,800 000 rebuilds.
Then again some arsenals have rebuilt carbines that were previously rebuilt.
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 9:35pm
Parts always got mixed up during rebuilds. The guys who did the rebuilds didn't care who made what, as long as a functional weapon was produced at day's end.
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
tonyevans56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyevans56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 7:05pm
My Underwood from RTI jammed at least once every 10 rounds (I was loading from 10 round Korean surplus stripper clips) on my first trip to the range. Accuracy was pretty good for a well used carbine with a 2/44 barrel. I did the following and had a range trip today with zero malfunctions. It went bang every time.

I bought a bolt disassembly tool and took the bolt completely apart.  It was interesting that my bolt that was made by an underwood sub-contractor  (SU) had an extractor was National Postal Meter and the firing pin was Quality Hardware.  Was it common for these parts to get mixed  when the carbine was re-arsenaled?  Mine has a Red River Arsenal (RRA) stamped on the stock.

I replaced the springs (ejector, extractor, slide, hammer, and sear) with parts bought from Fulton Armory.

My Quality Hardware slide was so worn that it easily popped out of its groove so I replaced it with an Underwood NOS.  I also replaced the extractor with an underwood NOS and the ejector with the one that came from Fulton on the new spring. My recoil plate was also very loose and worn so I replaced it as well. The original was unmarked but I went ahead and replaced it with one marked Underwood.  I didn't start out trying to make more matching.  The worn out parts just happened to be available.  I still have a trigger group that is marked Inland and have no plans to replace it.

The gun now is extremely reliable.  I kept all the old parts.  I don't have enough experience to be able to tell if all my new parts are legit. I just know they work. I do hope that they are legitimate Underwood NOS.  That is the way they were advertised on Gunbroker.

I did notice that my trigger is noticeably harder to pull.  Perhaps I should go back to the old hammer spring? What do you experienced folks think?
Tony
MSgt USAF Retired '95
Retired High School Teacher 2020
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply