Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CMP M1 Carbine in cosmoline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CMP M1 Carbine in cosmoline
    Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 12:10pm
How many early 2000's CMP carbines came packed in cosmoline? This was hand picked from the Camp Perry store years ago. Thank you.

shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 2:24pm
mine came packed in cosmoline. it was a little later i think that the cmp bought a machine that washed them all clean.   if i remember correctly?
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 2:28pm
Thank you for your reply shumba....

Did the CMP receive these in cosmoline from the Army? I assume the Army packed them for long term storage and simply handed them over to the CMP. ???
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 3:08pm
I've seen one, an M1A1 owned by a member that is packed in cosmoline and some kind of fiberglass material. Not sure if it is from the CMP or not, but it's way beyond preserved into the rhealm of embalmed or encased.

Don't know much about CMP rifles with cosmo, but the OP's looks pretty cool (and well preserved), none- the-less.
shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 4:51pm
the cmp carbines came from italy if i remember correctly.  so the cosmoline is most likely italian cosmoline.   i don't remember if the greeks sent any carbines or not.
shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 4:53pm
don't depend on 70 year old cosmoline to protect from rust.  remove it and replace with new cosmoline.  and sometimes the cosmoline was slathered over old rust anyway.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 1:23am
Just some side notes about removing Cosmoline,
I've heard of a few methods at removing it.. to include in a black trash bag in the hot sun.
I've used mineral spirits / regular paint thinner in a capped PVC pipe that I could shake around with good luck. Made the tube just long enough to fit a carbine barreled receiver. But needed to oil right away after the final finish cleaning.

A older Korean War vet told me about using a heat gun or blow torch with the wood removed.

My Father said they unpacked crated Carbines slathered with it in the Philippines. They'd hang them up where the sun could warm them up then pull the stocks and dunked the actions in barrels of either Diesel fuel or Kerosene. Said he'd of tried Gasoline but it was too hard to come by. Some would hang the actions near a camp fire to melt off what they could, sorta like a pre-cleaning. They got in trouble burning the crates because of the black smoke and complaints about the smell. He often complained about how much work it was and would have loved to have got his hands on the guys who packed them.  Heard those stories often when setting around looking at his War Gun hanging on the wall. Those childhood stories you don't forget.

Back when the CMP was releasing some like this I read about a guy using vegetable oil in a turkey fryer in the backyard. I remember because I asked how his next turkey tasted Big smile

Another used his kerosene salamander space heater.

Anyone heard of other methods or options ?

Good Luck Ricci1165 Cool

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 8:22am
I've had a few different milsurps come slathered in cosmoline. I find the cleanup process quite enjoyable! I start by using rags to wipe off whatever I can, and I have a plastic tool with a wedge scraper on one end and a point on the other that works good for removing hardened stuff and getting into tight spots without scratching. I mostly use Hoppes #9 on patches to dissolve anything really dried on.
Few weeks ago I picked up a late Inland handstamp that I'm sure was a CMP Italian return, never cleaned from storage. Couldn't even move the flip safety or mag catch the cosmoline was so dried on. Took a couple of evenings work to get her in shape.
shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 9:05am
i used a mechanics parts washer tub with solvent and a brush.  i haven't used it but i have heard of an industrial detergent called simple green works real good also.   plain old dawn and hot water work good also.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 11:46am
Used spray carburetor cleaner on some of mine that were really gunked up from the CMP, worked great, oiling afterwards is a must.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 11:58am
I just take the metal out of the stock and set it to soak in a shallow tub of Kero. Takes a little longer but it works well and you don't need to oil it afterwards.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2020 at 11:41am
I've soaked some cosmoline caked magazines in gas, brushes right off with a toothbrush after a good soak.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2020 at 4:45pm
In 2007 the Italian Returns were at the CMP for sorting. Several Club members went to help with the arduous task of sorting and checking.
Here are pictures and details from Ron Dalhamer 

They came from Italy zip-tied in bundles of five. Stacked like cord-wood on pallets. I can’t remember how many carbines per pallet.  They had to be one at a time checked for serial number, damage and for M2’s for then inventoried into numbered boxes for storage. When they were on pallets they couldn’t be stacked without damage. In the numbered boxes they get stacked to the roof.

CMP 2007 Italian carbines  shipped bolt-less slathered in grease, bolts sent separately. Bayonets were delayed slightly (HA! HA!)

Pull them out of the stock, wipe off as much of the goop as you can, disassemble and wipe off more goop, push 18 inches of goop from bore with cleaning rod, clean trigger group and check for full function,  select correct bolt and check headspace, assemble then CMP staff takes over for safety check and test fire.

Seems to me at this point in sorting there were a decent amount of IP bolts!

And check out the tiger stripe on this potbelly

Notice the serial numbers stamped on some of the stocks. The Israeli also did this seen forward of the slingwell and linear to stock. I do not know if the Israelis stamped this way as well.

I think the serial gives the carbine a bit of "I was there" provenance!

Thanks to Ron for sharing!

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2020 at 5:18pm
And you wonder where those op slide handle dents came from on the left side of your stock.

Thx Ron

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Bubba-7 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 7:57pm
I was there four days with Tommy P.  Each pallet had a serial number list and we checked serial numbers and put them in a cardboard box.  None of them had bolts.  Bolts shipped separate.  We did not undo the ties.  
One thing was the Italians must of had them in serial number order in their storage racks because the five tied together would usually be the same manufacturer and in order and close serial numbers.
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 8:49pm
If it is of any use, when it comes to cosmoline I just take it apart and wipe it off. I haven't had to deal with old or dried cosmoline, yet.
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2020 at 10:17pm
Not too long ago I picked up what I believe is a CMP Italian return, late Inland handstamp M1 [as mentioned above]. It had a healthy covering of grease all over the inside as pictured in New2brass's post above. The receiver and trigger group were caked with dried cosmoline underneath, so much so I couldn't move the flip safety or mag catch. I should have taken "before" pictures, but here are some "after" - she cleaned up real nice. Couple nights worth of work. I took the sticky gunk off the stock but left the patina and applied a few coats of RLO. A great shooter too, no adjustments needed and it shoots a tight group. I love the FAT stamp, it's complete with a rack number which is also stamped into an aluminum tag hanging off the front sling swivel. Barrel has the tiny FAT stamp as well.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

It had a healthy covering of grease all over the inside as pictured in New2brass's post above.

My post on behalf of Ron Dalhamer.

Note the boxes of bolts. I have heard people say the Italians were bolt-less. I am unclear if they sold them without bolts.
The CMP received the carbines without the bolts installed. They were tagged with a partial serial number. The CMP did not match the bolts to the carbines by the tags. The bolts had the tags removed and the bolts were sorted by manufacturer.

Here is a picture of the tags courtesy of Ron.

Post Reply Post Reply