Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

See A Problem ? Inland 5,526,xxx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: See A Problem ? Inland 5,526,xxx
    Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 10:42pm
Stumbled on this Inland tonight in a RIA auction.
Was interested thinking it might be a serial number over run in to Winchesters block, but checked my serial # card and seen it wasn't a X model.
Plus read it had a Underwood barrel.....
Then while looking over the pictures I seen something odd.

Look at the pictures of the left side of the receiver rail.
Any thoughts to what may have been done or happened ?

RIA Link:

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 11:01pm
I doubt this is likely, but could it possibly be made from a demilled receiver or a demilling attempt?
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 11:05pm
IDK,
But after posting this I think I can see that the front receiver ring has the markings buffed off.

Reading the description.... Say's no broken parts.
Nothing about missing parts of the parts.

Geeze

Ch-P777
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2020 at 1:36pm
That left receiver side looks really strange; I think bubba had his way
with it.Confused
Don
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2020 at 1:43pm
No guesses from me on that one Charlie, but I bet whoever buys it is gonna be pissed!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2020 at 6:34pm
This gives a better view of the Damage receiver's left rear rail.
I can't think of a out of battery incident or anything like it doing this type of damage.
I can't see any signs on the receivers right rail of being welded.
If you look at the ragged edge on the rear, Wouldn't you think this was from a Torch cut ?
Maybe the start of a Torch cut that was called off ?
Or possible this one was laying near one being Torch cut and caught some of the flame ?
Maybe 1989LX is on to something.
I just can't think of any reason this would have been intentionally done to install a scope bracket or something misc like that.

Also from what I could see with a zoomed in side view there are no markings on the front receiver ring.

BTW, 1st picture I've ever been able to pull from a web site as a .PNG. Boxed it in zoomed, Cropped and saved on a desktop file so I could load it in my picture hosting file here. But I know I've already forgot how I did it.

Charlie-P777
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2020 at 9:03pm
If it truly is a called off demill, I sincerely hope whoever buys that either pays very little for it, or has the decency not to fire it as I can't imagine a cut there is the safest thing in the world. If I had something like that, I'd only use it for parts or a wallhanger and nothing else.
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2020 at 9:51pm
The rear left side of the receiver looks like it was machined downward- to remove the broken section- the dark parkerizing looks like it is missing from this area.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2020 at 10:01pm
Many "torch demils" were not cut through, some had a little notch, some one side cut , or most any combination one can think of.

That one looks like a small torch burn that was cleaned up with a round mill to smooth up the melted edge, leaving what we see in the picture.
Don
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 12:01am
Appreciate your thoughts all. I just get curious about these things.

Good Weekend to all,

Ch-P777
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 5:24pm
contact the auction company and ask for pictures out of the stock
ingram View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2020 at 3:03pm
I have talked with several people that work there, all are very helpful. Call or email them. If you have an account you can ask a question through the website. Obviously there is something going on with that spot. I would certainly want to know before bidding on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply