Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drill and tapped holes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drill and tapped holes
    Posted: Oct 14 2020 at 11:10pm
Just looked over a post on the CMP forum. Needless to say the OP isn't happy.
Anyone have any idea what these holes would have been for ?
I'm not sure, but also appears that the Gas cylinder may have been crushed down, maybe while in a vice ?
I have no idea. It's a shame because it's a Hand Stamped M1 later Inland.
Any thoughts....

Post Link with more pictures:

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2020 at 11:42pm
Total guess here Charlie, but I wonder if that barreled receiver was once used with one of those Calico Gatling Gun Conversions, no idea how they were put together, just a thought.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 12:23am
Wayne,
Good guess, I'd forgot all about them.
I've been looking at pictures but would need to see assembly instructions to see how they went together.
I thought about side mounted off set scope rings but the holes don't line up for those.

Another Mystery...

Charlie-P777

ETA: I see the Calico Gatlin set up used muzzle flash hiders with a sight blade between them. That might explain the scars behind his frt sight, but IDK.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 6:10pm
Wayne,
You nailed it buddy ! Thumbs Up

The owner followed up looking over Calico's and found a Auction link that shows a Allen head screw right where the hole is in the bottom of the receiver.

If you open this link and zoom in on the first picture. The right side, at the heat shield over the op slides you'll see in the back left slot a partial view of that screw.

I was gonna take FULL CREDIT for figuring it out...... but, man it sucks having a conscious .

Thx Buddy,
Charlie-P777
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 6:39pm
Like I said Charlie it was just a guess, just goes to show that every now and then even a blind squirrel finds an acorn!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2020 at 1:10pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2020 at 7:47pm
Anybody here remember Rube Goldberg?

Maybe that belongs in Fibber Magee’s closet.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2020 at 8:12pm
Was he a cartoonist that had the gadgets that looked complicated doing simple things?
If so some of his drawings reminded me of things a kid would build out of a erector set and misc attachments.

Hey did we just describe a Calico Gatlin gun (s) set up ?

:- D

Charlie-P777
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2020 at 1:30pm
I’m at a gun show now and a fella is selling a Calico Gatling with an inland and a rockola   He’s asking $3500.  I’m gonna work on him to see how much lower I can get him before I buy this thing of beauty.  

Update—— I am still trying to add a photo but all the ones I have are in HD and not under 500kb in size.  I was able to take the receivers apart as much as you can in the mounts.  The Rockola receiver has a flat bolt and the inland a round.  The gun has not seen oil or grease in probably 40 years.  I could hear the metal on metal just pulling the slides back.  I have his card and may still purchase if I can get the price much lower.  He admitted he has never cleaned or oiled it since he got it many years ago.  So I may have that as a bargaining chip on getting the price down.  I’ll keep y’all posted. 

Edited by Beezer - Oct 17 2020 at 4:22pm
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 12:15pm
I saw that "gun" at the Berea show too. Asked him about it and he didn't want to go down on the price for me. I think it was because I was the first one to ask. I shook my head and walked away. I think he might have gotten the message that he wanted too much.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 4:05pm
Jim,
Seems it would be hard to own a set up like that and not shoot the hell out of it.
You know your friends would have to try it out.
Be curious as to how the chambers and bores measure.

Ch-P777
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 7:14pm
I doubt that it has been shot for a long time. He's had that thing at the Berea show off and on for years. I thought he might be willing to go down on it since he has been trying to sell it for so long. Guess he's still trying to get back what he overpaid for it.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 8:07pm
He told me that he had a second one but sold it not that long ago.  He said that one had 2 Plainfield receivers on it.  I asked him if he’s shot it or taken it apart.  He said he has not.  I could tell since there was no oil on any parts.  I almost bought it just to give it some love and oil it up.  And of course let anyone shoot it that wants to.  
 Post Reply Post Reply