The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Post, New Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pschuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Post, New Member
    Posted: Sep 30 2020 at 2:57pm
An old close friend gave me his Universal carbine more than 20 years ago so it has a lot of sentimental value to me and more now that he has passed away. 
I have had the chance to fire it only a few times and have to learn more about it.  I have learned much more about reading messages in this discussion group and in uscarbinecal.com.  I have kept it clean and rust free and bought a new padded case for it.  I'll go to the Maintenance discussion with some questions about the gas piston and lubrication.  
I am a retired EE and have been target shooting on and off since the early 60's.  Although a Tin Can Sailor, my father became interested in target shooting in the early '50's when he moved into an area loaded with other WW2 vets, most of them Army.  As a machinist he made his own rifle scope and a spotting scope.   I think he obtained the optics from Edmund's Scientific.  At least one of his rifles was obtained from the DCM.  He became very involved with a junior rifle club located under the gym of an elementary school.....totally out of the question in today's climate.
I don't think that I'll be able to add much knowledge to the discussions on M1 Carbines but I hope to learn much for myself.            
USAF 341st MIMS '71-'75
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2020 at 4:36pm
Welcome!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Mikey P View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikey P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 7:48am
Hello to all... I am new to all of this and would appreciate some advise on navigating. Just picked up my first carbine.. Thanks

Mikey P.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 7:53am
Welcome Mikey, and pschurch.

Mikey,
first advice- start your own thread, with a more specific question and tell us more about
your carbine.
Don
rtexpress View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2020 at 8:55pm
My name is John 68 years old I live in a small farming community in Nebraska.  I have owned my M1 Carbine for about 30 years it is a Saginaw 3397XXX which dates to 5/43 and appears to have the original barrel but the rest is a mix of parts.  Way back when I bought this rifle I gave the huge amount of $130.00.  At the time the store had 6 of them knowing what I know now I wish I would have bought them all. 

I also have 2 M1 Garands and a SA M1A really enjoy them. I purchased one of the M1 Garands (12/42) about the same time as the Carbine and gave $130 for that one also.   Wish I could get out more and shoot them but am working on that!  I have been doing research on the site for a period before joining and found it to be an excellent source of data!

Looking forward to being part of this group and will post some pictures of the rifle shortly.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2020 at 9:34pm
Welcome to all.
There are no silly questions.
And we love pictures !

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 8:45am
Welcome here, too.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
killerv View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2020 at 7:20am
welcome
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2020 at 8:04am
Welcome as it sound like you are already well addicted!
 Post Reply Post Reply