The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tales of the Tacticool M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tales of the Tacticool M1 Carbine
    Posted: Aug 30 2020 at 4:33pm
Tongue

Ok, I got my "Howachester" M-1 Carbine in the tac setup to the range today to zero the red dot and check the rail

The initial plan was to run 150 rounds of Armscor today, instead I grabbed 200 rounds of PPU because I figured I was down to that much and it's always been the finickiest of the .30 Carbine I have...might as well run it out (big mistake).

1st 50 rounds. The 1st 5 go into the 8 ring at 5"O clock so I figure up and left a few clicks. I get it dialed up within 15 rounds and shoot the rest head shots. I can't tell where the damn rounds are going the groups are so tight I figure time to change the target. I have 1 FTF this set of 50, which I figure is almost "normal" for me and PPU.

2nd set of 50. I tweak it up a click and start putting rounds in the same holes, which is good. The bad news, 2 more FTF's this set of 50. Last 5 rounds I let the RSO shoot (the 5 head shots) while I watch, of course he has no problems.

Last 50 rounds of the day. I'm getting 1 FTF or FTE every few rounds now, I'm trying different mags like crazy and the mags I've been using I've used on this carbine before no problems.

I decide to call it a day and bring the last box of PPU and use it in a different Carbine. I can't remember ever using it in this one before (I've been using Armscor most of the time with some S&B and Aquila through it). 

Next weekend I'll try some of the Korean surplus through it. I did notice when I cleaned it just now some "rub marks" where the slide is right hand side, the Howa slide is a M-2 style so it looks thicker than a M-1 slide. I dremeled that out some also to see if that helps, it could have been binding up some   
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2020 at 11:52pm
When I got my first carbine a couple of months ago, I found it cost effective to buy PPU and keep the brass to reload. As such, I bought 250 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of SP. I chronographed it in my Standard Products and it averaged 1979 fps. I know I grouped it through the Standard, but can't find any photos of the target(s).

Next up was a POS Iver Johnson. I didn't bother chronographing it through this rifle because handloads through it and the Standard give virtually the same velocity. It really likes the PPU-

I've also fired a little through my Inland with pretty much the same results.

I've fired almost all my PPU and I don't recall an failures of any kind. In fact the only failures I've had are a very few failures to fire when I use foreign primers in my handloads.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 9:35am
IIRR I've used PPU people through my GI Inlands before I had them rebuilt by Fulton Armory and got the occasional FTF or FTE, which I put down as mag's or just the age of the guns.

Since then I'd been using S&B because I'd loaded up on that on a sale one time and love it. The Armscor I started using when I ran low on that because I was able to get that at either at the same price or cheaper than the PPU.

The only reason I had 500 rounds of PPU this summer was I got some back when this current ammo crisis hit, it was in stock someplace normal price at the time but they only had the 500 round case in stock.

The next day I found another place that had been running the Armscor on sale at $11.99 a box. I wasn't sure of the place so I ordered 2500 rounds to play it safe. When that order processed and shipped within 24 hours I went back and got the remaining stock, 1250 rounds Tongue 

I've been using the 1250 as shooting stock all summer and kept the 2500 as stash ammo and was mixing the PPU in with it as I went. I'm not 100% sure I ever used it through the Howachester before yesterday but do remember running 200 rounds through my Plainfield when I 1st got it a few weeks ago and getting 1 FTF/FTE every 100 rounds, which I put down as mags or the gun.

I tested the Korean through it over the weekend with no problems so I'm figuring the Howachester just doesn't like the PPU and the last box I'll run through a gun that I know will feed it. Since I plan on stocking up on the Korean as it stays in stock I'll avoid PPU, at least for the Howachester.

It's been 100% reliable since I got it back from FA until yesterday, so it either has to be ammo or that slide sticking on the 1 side causing the problems with this stock. Worst case I switch this setup to my Fulton Armory Carbine or the Plainfield if it proves itself reliable 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2020 at 12:14pm
ok, quick update. I ran 150 rounds of the Korean surplus through it at the local 25 yard range

Gun ran like a scared jackrabbit Big smile , started out loading 5 rounds at a time in a mag and used the same 2 mags I used last week with the PPU. No issues, and every 5 rounds I doubled the load until I made 15 per mag Big smile

That's at 25 yards standing, I think it'll due for accuracy 

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2020 at 6:35pm

I reamed out the wood stock last week so I can swap stocks as I want. I do like the feel of the normal M-1 Carbine stock over the folding one 
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2020 at 8:43am
Nice setup, I'm just way too long to use the standard M1 Carbine stock. I had a slip on recil pad for my Garand to add length of pull.
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2020 at 9:18am
I like the feel of normal Carbine stocks over the Choate one, but did get used to it. Only issue is I'm getting 1 FTF/FTE every 100 rounds still. I think its mag's though, I've been testing different ones the past 2 range trips. Until I get 100 rounds through a mag I'm not trusting it as a truck gun rig.

It'll be a couple weeks before I can get another range day in anyway, work has me on 6 days a week this month so no spare time. On the bright side I can snag another 1080 rounds of the surplus Korean next time I hit the range, that'll help the gun fund some 
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2020 at 8:09am
Whose Picatinny rail are you using? Does it weigh more than the wooden handguard? Is it a simple drop in replacement?
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2020 at 8:59am
Originally posted by 101Abn 101Abn wrote:

Whose Picatinny rail are you using? Does it weigh more than the wooden handguard? Is it a simple drop in replacement?

This one

You have to modify the stock depending on what style stock you have. The Choate and the birch stocks I used needed reaming out. The rail itself clamps to the barrel. You might have to ream out where the clamps sit in the stock depending on

From the looks of it the Boyd's stocks I have on my Fulton Armory M-1 Carbine don't need work.

I think the rail is only a few ounces heavier than the normal guard.

This is the area in question

That channel there, it needs to be clear right up where the barrel band retaining spring goes through the stock.

It's not hard but something you need to think about if the stock on your Carbine has collectors value. I have a extra Boyd's stock here I'm working on for another Carbine I own (needs fitting and sanding for the barrel band still) so I figured I had a spare in case I screwed up.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2020 at 9:44am
The Carbine configuration can be difficult to get done if you're tall with ape arms, (as my wife says to me) I simply cannot use the standard stock at all but the M1A1 stock keeps my thumb out of my nose and the Choate with the M4 adjustable add 3" if needed. I used UTG rails and I kept the iron sights. The M1A1 is faster acting in tight quarters but not by much if the Choate stock is collapsed,  the M1A1 is slightly easier to maneuver easier  in vehicles however at 5 lbs it bounces around when firing and takes training to handle accurately.  However the Choate stock makes 200+ yard hits easier and with the added weight, about 7 1/2 lbs follow up shots are quicker and easier.
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2020 at 10:05am
I haven't taken the "Howachester" past 50 yards yet. Until I find mags that run right in it (I swear 1 mag must be female, sometimes it runs 100% other days it's FTF every 50 rounds) it's still in the "range toy" phase.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2020 at 3:09pm
On that wonly mag how's the fit? I had one with damaged tabs that made it loose on lockup.
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

On that wonly mag how's the fit? I had one with damaged tabs that made it loose on lockup.

It does seem a little loose compared to the other 1 I used Friday. Tabs look ok though
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2020 at 8:04am
If the mag is loose it may rock around under recoil.
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2020 at 9:30am

If the mag is loose it may rock around under recoil.

Which would cause the issues I'm having. I also only have this problem with it when I bench rest this rifle, so I could be rocking the mag myself when I shoot it. 

My 150 round indoor test I freehanded it and the mags in question ran like tops. I'll have to get back to the range next chance I get and try that.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2020 at 8:41am
Mag testing is critical@
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2020 at 10:27am

Mag testing is critical@

Yeap, and I have 23 of the damn things to check Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply