Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"New" Plainfield M-1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New" Plainfield M-1 Carbine
    Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 1:57pm
Scored this at a pawn shop today, $600 bucks and sales tax.

If it has 500 rounds on it I'd be surprised, it was clean as a whistle when I inspected it at the shop and when I got home it was even dusty on the barrel when I cleaned it before I test fired it.

I think it has a USGI trigger group and slide

BE-B code on the group and the slide has "C" stamped on the underside. Serial number is in the 13000 range, if I read things right that's between 1965-68 when they were still using surplus parts. Can't quite make out the marking on the hammer (old eyes and need a better magnifying glass) but it has one on it.

Range Time, 10 yards test fire

I ran 150 rounds PPU through it, starting 1 round at a time then working my way up to 10 rounds in the mag. I did have 1 failure to extract at 10 rounds and 1 stovepipe at 20. I want to say the gas piston was stiffish, it didn't move freely when I cleaned it the 1st time. It's "free" now so I figure it had some old oil or the like that needed working out.

Gun ran the next 125 rounds like a Swiss watch. Next weekend I'll take it to a outdoor range and do a proper zero check, today was strictly a function check and so far so good.  

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 2:17pm
That is indeed a IBM T4 trigger housing. Get into it and see whats inside.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

That is indeed a IBM T4 trigger housing. Get into it and see whats inside.

I will later. I figured it was a IBM because my Fulton Armory Carbine has the same markings on it Tongue 

It's also damn near new IMO, I've got to use a small rubber hammer to get the damn thing off the rifle and the retaining pin is tight as hell.

The 1 "weird" thing is there is a Phillips screw holding the recoil plate in the stock. I've got a spare USGI one I could use but I figure if it ain't broke don't worry about it Smile    
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 2:34pm
About 1966 Plainfield replaced the GI style recoil plate screw with a Phillips head screw. Threading of
this screw and the escutcheon nut the screw was mated too were not compatible with their GI counterparts.

is the butt plate plastic with Philips head screws?
About 1966 Plainfield replaced the GI style recoil plate screw with a Phillips head screw. Threading of
this screw and the escutcheon nut the screw was mated too were not compatible with their GI counterparts.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

is the butt plate plastic with Philips head screws?

That's what I got.

The butt plate is plastic but it has 2 flathead screws. Still can't make out the marking on the hammer, it "looks" like what's shown for IBM groups here.

If the recoil plate screw holds it ain't a concern. I bought this as a plinker that I might try running cheap steel case Wolf ammo through (I was leery of using that on my "good" Carbines")

This will be the 3rd Plainfield I've owned over the years. The 1st was as reliable as the Rockola I got from a relative decades ago (my ex sold it in the messy divorce I went through 2001 along with the Rock Cry ).

The 2nd was a POS I bought 7-8 years ago, luckily for me the LGS had a 90 day used gun warranty. They told me they never could get it working.

This one ran great today, I figure if it keeps it up I've got another toy in the safe I can run hard and only be out $600 down the road  
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 7:02pm
If you ever had any desire to change it, Iver Johnson used the same commercial thread pitch, but slotted head screws like USGI. Of course, you could always change the escutcheon and screw to USGI. But, I also agree....if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I have a little different take on shooters. Not bashing commercials, because I have a couple. The early Plainfield’s have a good reputation, but as production progressed, they all got sloppy to some degree. I rather like to keep a good USGI shooter and relegate the commercials to have in case I need one. Most of the time, the old 77 year old GI carbine will be in better condition tolerance-wise than about any commercial. Of course, there are exceptions to about everything. 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 7:31pm

If you ever had any desire to change it, Iver Johnson used the same commercial thread pitch, but slotted head screws like USGI. Of course, you could always change the escutcheon and screw to USGI. But, I also agree....if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I have a little different take on shooters. Not bashing commercials, because I have a couple. The early Plainfield’s have a good reputation, but as production progressed, they all got sloppy to some degree. I rather like to keep a good USGI shooter and relegate the commercials to have in case I need one. Most of the time, the old 77 year old GI carbine will be in better condition tolerance-wise than about any commercial. Of course, there are exceptions to about everything. 

I've been looking for a decent commercial for a few months now, for a different reason. I'm wanting a "plinker" that I can try steel cased ammo on like Wolf. I spent decent money getting my USGI's redone by Fulton Armory and hate to ruin them.

This, if it keeps shooting like today I can risk running steel through and only be out $600 bucks if I break something.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 10:55pm
What part do you think is more likely to break with steel case ammo than brass?
Don
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

What part do you think is more likely to break with steel case ammo than brass?

Long term, I would say extractor or wearing the gas piston out faster with dirty ammo
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2020 at 6:36am
Ideally, you have one with a GI hammer and bolt that has shootable head space. That being the case, shoot it and enjoy it. If one tries to improve a commercial and bring one that is not In spec. up to USGI standards, they can purchase a good USGI shooter for about the same investment and maybe less. 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2020 at 8:50am

Ideally, you have one with a GI hammer and bolt that has shootable head space. That being the case, shoot it and enjoy it. If one tries to improve a commercial and bring one that is not In spec. up to USGI standards, they can purchase a good USGI shooter for about the same investment and maybe less. 

That's the plan, I sort of wanted a "cheap'' commercial Carbine I could use as a beater and keep my current USGI's and FA low mileage.

I'm actually tempted to swap the trigger group from this and use it on my "Howa" mixmaster that has a Winchester receiver on it for some reason (that was a oddball I think some of you will remember from last year).

I doubt if I do, it also going to be a "beater". Current plan is adding a Ultimak rail and fitting it to a Choate folding stock I have and running a red dot on it, turning that into this.

I'll also ream the wood stock the Howa has on it so I can swap them around. I'm waiting for a friend to let me borrow a Dremel set and Numrich to ship me a walnut stock I ordered for one of my USGI's.

I've got a spare stock here now but figure better to have a 2nd in case I screw up. It'll make Carbine "purists" cry but I think that rig pictured is a ideal "truck gun" set up. Handy to use, 18" barrel if I need to hit out to 200-300 yards and folded as compact as most AR pistols.

David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2020 at 9:34pm
An M1 Carbine TAC rifle! 😀
I have one myself, in my opinion the M1 Carbine was way ahead in concept for 1940's design. Truly the M2 was the first close quarter assult rifle. 

I have an Inland in M1A1 shooter that is great, my Quality Hardware tactical handles rapid fire drills on the range a bit better due to the increased weight. However the M1A1 was ahead of it's time because when it comes to clear the room drills it maneuvers it's stil very good.
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2020 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

An M1 Carbine TAC rifle! 😀
I have one myself, in my opinion the M1 Carbine was way ahead in concept for 1940's design. Truly the M2 was the first close quarter assult rifle. 

I have an Inland in M1A1 shooter that is great, my Quality Hardware tactical handles rapid fire drills on the range a bit better due to the increased weight. However the M1A1 was ahead of it's time because when it comes to clear the room drills it maneuvers it's stil very good.

I can't decide which Carbine to mount the tac rail on. Common sense says the Fulton Armory one I own since it's the newest made one and the wood stock is already set up for the mount (all my "birch" stocks will need reaming out).

The Howa on the other hand has been rebuilt by FA and has new barrel, trigger group parts as needed and a new bolt so it's basically sound. I did reuse the front sight when they replaced the worn rear sight so it could use some filing down to get a proper zero.

I have to aim about a inch low at 50 yards to hit the 10 ring. I figure putting a red dot (I've got a Vortex Sparc MkI that was just sitting on a AR I seldom shoot) on it would cure that issue and having 2 stocks set up for the tac rail I can swap as I feel the need, use the normal stock for range days and keep the Choate stock for the truck gun option.

I'm really wanting to test Hornady .30 HP but can't find any in stock. That would be my "truck gun" loadout. I've 2 .30 round USGI mags that I still need to check through all my Carbines but I figure if those don't work I'm up to 12 15 rounders I trust (been testing different ones every range trip)      
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2020 at 8:48am
If you search around on the internet, (I recently switched to Bing and dumped Google) you'll find some examples of what others have done. Word to the wise, be careful crossing State lines the 30 Carbine has been placed on several bad gun lists. The folding stocks, 30 round and some States even the 15 round mags, bayonet lugs, all BS but still what they've done.
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2020 at 9:41am

If you search around on the internet, (I recently switched to Bing and dumped Google) you'll find some examples of what others have done. Word to the wise, be careful crossing State lines the 30 Carbine has been placed on several bad gun lists. The folding stocks, 30 round and some States even the 15 round mags, bayonet lugs, all BS but still what they've done.

I'm glad I don't live in New Jersey, that's for sure.

I'm in Cincinnati so I should be ok. The only problem I "could" have is if I carried it loaded in my car. Your only allowed 1 loaded weapon on you "possession" at a time under Ohio CCW laws and it has to be a pistol.

Your allowed to have loaded mags for a rifle though and I figure a folded M-1 Carbine fits in a gym bag I have nicely. If I happen to run into anything "sporty" I'll use a pistol 1st and then try for the rifle.

I own several AR carbine length rifles but have never been a fan of "pistol" AR's. A reliable M-1 Carbine with a folding stock should do nicely if I needed it and take as much time to deploy as a AR carbine, plus be easier to conceal IMO   
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2020 at 6:01pm
An M1 Carbine ( government issue WWII ) is an older rifle 75 or 80 years old, so just like you and me needs some care. 

Make sure the parts are in spec, replace the springs, get and test good mags and feed it good near maximum pressure ammunition. 

It only operates at 40,000 PSI, likes to be held firmly and best of all when treated well, GETS THE JOB DONE!
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2020 at 7:31pm

An M1 Carbine ( government issue WWII ) is an older rifle 75 or 80 years old, so just like you and me needs some care. 

Make sure the parts are in spec, replace the springs, get and test good mags and feed it good near maximum pressure ammunition. 

It only operates at 40,000 PSI, likes to be held firmly and best of all when treated well, GETS THE JOB DONE!

I had my 2 USGI Inlands and a Made in Japan "Howa" (based on a WWII Winchester receiver) worked over by Fulton Armory over the past year.

Left to right (that picture is loaded funny on my hosting site), Fulton Armory new production, 2 USGI Inlands and the Howa. The later 3 have new barrels, gas pistons and new springs and other parts as recommended by FA.

Right now all 4 love Armscor and S&B, no issue with PPU but the Howa has had problems with Aguila. I'm almost out of that so I'll burn that through the Plainfield to get rid of it.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2020 at 8:48pm
Aguila seems spotty as far as I've read. I reloads and have a chronograph so I clock all my handload and any factory ammo I buy. I get rid of any Carbine ammo that does not average 1950 FPS over 10 rounds. Most I've bought lately average 1975. My loads average over 2000 FPS.
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2020 at 9:15pm

Aguila seems spotty as far as I've read. I reloads and have a chronograph so I clock all my handload and any factory ammo I buy. I get rid of any Carbine ammo that does not average 1950 FPS over 10 rounds. Most I've bought lately average 1975. My loads average over 2000 FPS.

I'd read the same thing but during the 1st week of the current panic bought a case of 500 because it was in stock at "normal" prices. I was scrounging the internet looking for any .30 Carbine brass cased in stock. I got very lucky, I found a place with Armscor at $11.99 a box and snapped that up.

I swear no 2 rounds of the Aquila have the same feel on recoil, and it's "weaker" than my Armscor, S&B and PPU types 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 1:53pm
Here are my 2 shooters M1A1 is Inland the TAC is a Quality Hardware, both are well maintained and as reliabe as any M4.

David Milisock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>