Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: numbers
    Posted: Jul 06 2020 at 5:45pm
when I bought my 30M1 I got a spare stock with it, when I looked at it closer I could see a crack and some poor repairs making this stock useless.

but I also found a number on it, dont think Bubba dit this one so does anyone have an idea about this number.

1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2020 at 11:04pm
The number is a serial number assigned to the last/highest number Inland block.

The stamping in that location usually denotes a Bavarian or Austrian used US carbine.
Many were imported and others returned to the US govt and sold by the CMP.

A German or Austrian ordnance worker would have stamped the number; though not all stocks were stamped in that location- stamping varied by location and organization during the post WWII era when these carbines were sold/loaned/ given to various allies or used in occupied territories.
Don
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2020 at 1:25am
Thanks, so it isnt a national postal meter stock and is not the one that belonged to my 30M1.
I thougt mabye it was cracked and they replaced it for that reason.
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2020 at 8:34am
It's a 30 Carbine. A 30M1 is more correctly a Garand.

It might or might not be the correct stock. Stocks got switched frequently and whatever serial was on the Carbine got stamped on the stock. It's more common to only see the last 4 digits of the serial when stamped in the sling cut out. There's a similar one on g broker right now with full serial stamped there.

Israel always stamped the full serial above and forward of that location, on the cheek pad area.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2020 at 8:46am
is it a potbelly stock.

It also looks like there is a self P on the back wall of the sling well
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2020 at 7:14am
Well my .30M1 is a bit mixed up, it is a national postal meter, but the triggerhousing is inland, but that is not uncommon since this is a dutch army one, so a new fitted barel in 1963 by A.I. and they just took everything apart and rebuild them.
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
 Post Reply Post Reply