Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood Single notch receivers ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwood Single notch receivers ?
    Posted: Jul 05 2020 at 4:25pm
Early (1st Ser Block) Underwood can be found with just the one forward notch on the receiver rail.
Do we know about what serial range they went with the 2 notches?

Also I believe (IIRC) they always used the rear square cut on that rail.
I think I've seen this rear mill cut in narrow and wide.

Did the width of this mill cut go from wide to narrow..... or narrow to wide ?
When the 2 slide rail notches became the norm, did it coincide with the timing of changing the mill cut width  ?

I don't want to wander in to the Sub supplied receivers just yet, trying not to complicate this any further. Unless the changes occurred 'Because' of the Sub supplied receivers.

I hope this makes sense.

Appreciate any input,

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2020 at 10:30am

Sounds like your receiver is an Inland

I misread and thought Charlie suggested it was a round notch. My error.

Inland supplied the first 100 receivers used by Underwood and they had one notch and round detail.

According to CCNL 127 Underwood had one notch to about 1,428,000 with the first reported double notch at 1,444,xxx

there is 2 other newsletter on receiver construction features that shows Underwood having 1/4 to 5/16 inch distance early in the first block. At about 1.441 up it went to 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch

So I would say the double notch and end width came about in the same time period.

Edited by New2brass - Jul 06 2020 at 12:21pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Dan, What does this serial represent?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2020 at 12:04pm
Wayne, that was the highest number on the 100 receivers Underwood received and renumbered from Inland.
ccnl 259-3

I somehow thought Charlie was saying round vs sq. cut making me think Inland.

I need caffeine Pinch 

Too add: Underwood produced the first block then worked on the the 4 million block. Before finishing the 4 million block they moved onto the 2 million block (Underwood and subcontract) then working in the 6 million and finishing the 4 million block.

Does this makes things easy?

the additional notch was a tooling hole to get the cutting bit in and out. It made manufacturing easier. I guess NPM never got the memo.

The wider width saved time and tooling wear. 

Edited by New2brass - Jul 06 2020 at 12:45pm
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 10:41am
Hi all.
I don't know if it is discussed in any of the news letters, but I noticed an interesting thing regarding Underwood subcontracted receivers made by Universal Winding ('W").  They are double dismount notched, but have the "earlier" narrow 1/4 to 5/16 inch distance milling space to the rear.  I have not found a single Universal Winding that is not the narrower space.  I have looked at 7 different "W" receivers with s/n from 2459781 to 2484328 and they are all narrow and double notched.  I have found that all of the other subcontracted receivers from Intertype, United Shoe, and Singer all have the wider rear milled section.
Does anyone know if this has ever been noticed or discussed?  I guess maybe Universal Winding was provided with the earlier milling template to make their receivers, possibly?  It is kind of a cool variant because the Winding serial numbers in Block 2 fall after the Intertypes and before the United Shoe and Singer.
Chad
USN Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 11:38am
Chad, Back in 1981 in CCNL 59 there was a chart of receiver construction laying out the notches, rear leg length, the slide cut (round or taper), and the distance to the rear.
the distance is listed as 1/4 to 5/16 for the winding receivers and as you point out the other subcontracted receivers for Underwood are in the 5/8 to 3/4 range.

welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 5:46pm
there were round milled B underwoods and square milled underwood B's-forgoet whether early or late but are two different
 Post Reply Post Reply