Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Howa M300 Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuryTomic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howa M300 Question
    Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 9:56pm
Hi guys! 

I’m new to the forums, but I figured that my answer would probably be best answered by some people here. Apologizes in advance if this post is not in the right thread.

I’ve been researching about the Howa M1 Carbines, and read the article on the M1Carbinesinc website that mentioned about the Howa M300s, and learned at least 3 recorded instances exist in the US. 

I recently paid a visit to a Gun Shop in the area, and I found out that they had a Howa M300 Carbine in their shop for sale. The M300 is an earlier model that looks similar to the M300s made in the late 50s/early 60s. I immediately took the offer to buy it, and currently doing a layaway for now.

What I’m curious about is: is this Howa M300 possibly John Arnold’s Howa M300 that he brought back from Japan? Or is this a 4th recorded instance that no one knew about? I’m well aware that when John passed away in 1973, the M300 was sold off to a buyer somewhere in the United States, but I’m not sure what that M300’s SN is.

For reference, the SN from this M300 is 5449. 
I’m happy to provide a picture if anyone is curious.

Thank you!

FuryTomic
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 10:39pm
Hi FuryTomic, and welcome. You are on the forum so your post is in the right place. :]

I'm the researcher and author of the pages on Howa. I'd be very interested in pics and info on the one you are buying. I may be able to tell you a bit about it. May not. At the very least we can both learn.

I bought the Howa 300 that Ithaca had received. Later sold it to author Larry Ruth. He'd been chasing that one for many years but doesn't do internet. He was lucky I got it.

I interviewed Bob Penny and Wyant LaMont regarding the Howa National Ordnance had received. Jessie was his wife. Died of cancer before I met him. He provided the photos for the website.

It's possible the one you found was one Jessie was holding in the pics but more likely it's another. While Howa was trying to find a U.S. distributor for it they were selling them in Japan. A number of U.S. military personnel bought them in Japan for personal use and later brought them home.

I'll look back through all my notes. LaMont didn't know a serial number as I recall. Pics may help sort it out. I think I have a few more than what I posted on the web page. Not as good quality or didn't show the carbine as well.

Jim
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 10:40pm
Pictures are always good.

Here is a link for others who want to read about the Howa commercial carbines.
Don
FuryTomic View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuryTomic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

Hi FuryTomic, and welcome. You are on the forum so your post is in the right place. :]

I'm the researcher and author of the pages on Howa. I'd be very interested in pics and info on the one you are buying. I may be able to tell you a bit about it. May not. At the very least we can both learn.

I bought the Howa 300 that Ithaca had received. Later sold it to author Larry Ruth. He'd been chasing that one for many years but doesn't do internet. He was lucky I got it.

I interviewed Bob Penny and Wyant LaMont regarding the Howa National Ordnance had received. Jessie was his wife. Died of cancer before I met him. He provided the photos for the website.

It's possible the one you found was one Jessie was holding in the pics but more likely it's another. While Howa was trying to find a U.S. distributor for it they were selling them in Japan. A number of U.S. military personnel bought them in Japan for personal use and later brought them home.

I'll look back through all my notes. LaMont didn't know a serial number as I recall. Pics may help sort it out. I think I have a few more than what I posted on the web page. Not as good quality or didn't show the carbine as well.

Jim

Hi Jim! I appreciate you taking the time to help out! Unfortunately, I only took 1 photo of the rifle that I sent to a few people and thought I took more photos of the rifle. I also have a picture of the tag as proof that it is a Howa M300. 

Any other details that I can explain from the top of my head:
As mentioned, it’s one of the older models before the newer M300s came along. It has the Howa markings and logo on the front with 5449 stamped clean. There’s also a side scope mount installed as shown in the pic I took.

Hopefully when I stop by in 2 weeks to continue paying off the M300, I can request to see if I can take a few more pics.

Edited by FuryTomic - Jun 29 2020 at 10:23am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2020 at 9:43am
The side mount looks like the original that came with the rifle.

From the Howa Brochure ...

Hopefully they have the screws and scope rings that go with it. Also hope you got a better price than what's on the tag. Although there are so few of these and that one looks to be in excellent condition. The one I had only thing not so great was Ithaca stamping their name in the handguard multiple tries.

I don't think yours is the one from National Ordnance. Theirs didn't have the scope mount. The handful of the Model 300's I've seen yours is the first with the scope mount.

Looking forward to seeing more pics... when you can.

Jim

FuryTomic View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuryTomic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2020 at 10:21am
Bummer, I was kind of hoping it was, but it’s nice to know that there are a few more out there, and this looks to be a version with the side scope mounts that makes this a nice collection to add! It looks like the side mounts don’t have the screws included to mount a riflescope either. 

After some thinking, I knew I forgot to add something else, but this came up with talking to a Japanese Gun Enthusiast in Japan.

I was talking with him about the Howa Carbines, he was happy to share some pics of his, but did note as a disclaimer that these were modelguns, but are close to accurate with some of the other Howa M300s made according to him. 

And yeah sure thing! I’ll see if I can try to take more pics too.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2020 at 11:20am
I have info on a number of model gun carbines made in Japan. Along with photos. They'd be an interesting addition to the website but I'm overwhelmed with things as it is. I'm not a website author who likes carbines. I'm a researcher who knows and appreciates the value of sharing the research and info.

Larry Ruth collects everything carbine related. He has several of the model carbines made in Japan in the 70's, maybe also the late 60's.

Have that fella in Japan monitor EBay Japan for the scope mount parts you need. If he has a couple pics of the scope and scope mount from the left side looking straight on, one with and one without the stock I'd like to add them to the website. Will give him credit if he would like.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply