Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question of flip sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question of flip sight
    Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 5:01pm
My new Bavarian Winchester (5,813,---) has a square S flip sight. My SN is supposed to be too late for a flip sight (Re: CCNL 237-8), but the finish matches the receiver perfectly, almost black. Everything else on this carbine is spot on except the stock which is QHMC. I can't tell about the stake marks at the dovetail, but if it is a fake, why would someone remove a type ll (if it were correct) and replace it with a flip sight? I doubt the Bavarians would have done it. 
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks

PS: please let me know if photos don't show

Edited by New2brass - Jun 28 2020 at 3:55pm
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 5:06pm
sorry about that. Here are the rest of the photos.

Edited by New2brass - Jun 28 2020 at 3:54pm
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 6:53pm
I do see a adjustable sight crater on the right front corner so at some point it probably did had such a sight on it. Another thing to remember is that the Germans and Austrians were odd about their rear sight preferences, I mean think about all of the unusual combinations they used and have been documented in pictures. What you say about going from an adjustable to flip is still true, but I think you might have a case of that. Nice looking carbine!
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 8:06pm
thanks, John, Do you think the flip is authentic or repro?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by colreed colreed wrote:

thanks, John, Do you think the flip is authentic or repro?

It's definitely real. I think I remember that carbine from GunBroker a few weeks back, again very nice! Is it import marked?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 7:31am
No import marks. And yes, it was a GB piece. I like. And I have a nice T3 stock for it. A lot of history for that one. Muzzle = 1.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 9:50am
Does the front receiver ring have solder on it or any evidence that something was mounted there? Is the receiver drilled for a scope?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 11:15am
I don't think the photos came thru on my last reply. I'll try again,

Edited by New2brass - Jun 28 2020 at 3:52pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 4:01pm
there was a mix of all types of sights beginning at about 5,689,xxx to the end of the block.
The pictures really do not show the crater well. Maybe some better pictures?

It seems in many cases the oddball sights were removed. I do not know if they did it, the Army or the CMP.
However yours does not appear to have had that sight on the front ring.
Some of the Bavarian carbines have an import marking on the bottom of the barrel behind the front sight. 

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 4:49pm
Dan, so you are saying that my 5,813,... SN might have started with a flip. Interesting.....
When I get a chance, I will remove the flip sight and post some more pix of the dovetail.
There are no import stamps on it. 
Thanks for your help.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2020 at 11:01am
OK, I removed the flip and here is a pic of the dovetail stakes. It does appear that an adjustable sight was on it at one time. So,.......I suppose my best move is to find a T2 that matches the dark finish and install it. Any opinions?
Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/EuYlRZL
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2020 at 12:39pm
Definitely stake marks from an adjustable sight. Honestly, if it were my carbine I would be heavily tempted to put the flip sight back on since I've gotten to the point in this hobby where a bird in the hand means a lot more than a potentially endless search for another part to change.

Be happy with that carbine, no import marks, a nice ME and good overall appearance.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2020 at 5:14pm
I don't have it handy at the moment, but I have a late 5 million Winchester I won on CMP auction a number of years ago. Bavaria Forestry Police. It has a type 3 stamped adjustable IRCO sight, from memory with the part number, that sure looks original to me given the staking. I have seen at least one other one in similar serial range too, which appeared original.
Congrats on the rifle, the Bavarian rifles are some of my favorite.
 Post Reply Post Reply