Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RTI carbine unknown red writing on stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart1015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RTI carbine unknown red writing on stock
    Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 12:36am
Hello all, 

I ended up buying a few of the RTI carbines.  One was a "gunsmith special".  The "special" turned out to be an absolutely correct late Winchester with a bulged barrel about 4 inches down from the muzzle. What a bummer. 

The gun has very little finish left and the stock has unknown writing in red.  My guess, it indicates it as a damaged gun.  

I am hoping that someone here could translate the writing? 

Thanks for your help,

Brett 

Always looking for more carbines.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 8:32am
Do you know were it came, (what country)? That writing looks middle eastern.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 9:57am
It's from Ethiopia. That writing is an Afro-Asiatic language read right to left, specifically it's Amharic which is through the Semitic and a Cushitic blendings. It's a bio-hazard warning that informs the stock handler that an infected goat has urinated on this spot.

Seriously, they appear to just be characters, so if you knew the language family you could determine the English/Arabic alphabetic/numerical representative. I checked Ge'ez script but not looking too promising. On RTI's site or some video there's an indication of the region these Carbines came from so you might be able to pin down the language to one of the languages. I'd expect it to be one of the most common to a largest group.

,?,S?
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 10:16am
You sure this is not protester graffiti? Looks like some of the crap I’ve seen smeared on monuments, police cars and public buildings lately.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 10:17am
I think you got it. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 12:12pm
I thought I had someone that could translate the writing but she just gave me a stupid look when I showed her the picture. Then I remembered that she is a Nigerian not Ethiopian.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bart1015 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart1015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

I thought I had someone that could translate the writing but she just gave me a stupid look when I showed her the picture. Then I remembered that she is a Nigerian not Ethiopian.

That is funny..
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 4:11pm
Serious answer... as stated above it is Ethiopian - Amharic language. Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination... but a bit of Google foo and it would roughly translate as the acronym "EPRDF" in English. That stands for Ethiopian Peoples Revolutionary Democratic Front... they were the political party in charge of Ethiopia from 1991 to 2019, and prior to that a rebel group during the civil wars and military dictatorship.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 4:45pm
I think you got it choprboy! 

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bart1015 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart1015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by choprboy choprboy wrote:

Serious answer... as stated above it is Ethiopian - Amharic language. Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination... but a bit of Google foo and it would roughly translate as the acronym "EPRDF" in English. That stands for Ethiopian Peoples Revolutionary Democratic Front... they were the political party in charge of Ethiopia from 1991 to 2019, and prior to that a rebel group during the civil wars and military dictatorship.

Well there it is.  Thank you for your help.  My internet search turned up with nothing usable because I couldn't figure out any search terms that were viable. 

Thanks again, 

Brett 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 7:22pm
Nice weed-eater.

Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Nice weed-eater.

Yep, until you plant a vegetable garden! That is why she is behind bars right now!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2020 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Bart1015 Bart1015 wrote:

Well there it is.  Thank you for your help.  My internet search turned up with nothing usable because I couldn't figure out any search terms that were viable.

Ehh... Its more just knowing where to start looking and a few tools to convert forms. As tenOCEE stated, it appears to be an Afro-asiatic language. Given its an RTI rifle, Ethiopian/Amharic would make sense. Pop over to Wikipedia for the Amharic character set and it looks like a match: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amharic

Copy from the Amharic letter chart and you get: ኢህአዲፃ

Paste that into Google Translate and you get EPRDF. Seems like a non-word, but Google thinks it translated correctly. Pop that into Google search and all the top results are the Ethiopian political party which coincides with expected markings for a RTI rifle from Ethiopia. As W5USMC pointed out and I missed, the party emblem has the same characters.
 Post Reply Post Reply