Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saving Rock Ola 1711015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saving Rock Ola 1711015
    Posted: Jun 23 2020 at 10:50pm

I'd like to share with the membership a fairly early Rock Ola that I recently obtained.  I saw this rifle in a pawn shop and I envisioned the former owner as the next door neighbor kid in the animated movie “Toy Story” named Sid.  You know the one, the kid who is always mistreating his toys.

I knew within two minutes of looking at this Carbine that it was an original war horse, that had that “been there and done that” look all over it.  It had obviously been neglected in the past as the original front band had been broken at the 2nd spot weld on the right side with the remainder of the band missing along with the swivel.  The hand guard was also missing.  I paid $900 for it, talking the owner down from $1000 as he could obviously see it had some condition issues.  The few photos below are the way I received it.

I spent the next couple of days thinking how I was going to repair the band…as taking the original staked front sight off was completely out of the question.  Luckily, within two days, the seller Mortardoctor on eBay listed a torch cut original band with the complete lower band and the swivel being undamaged, which I was able to purchase.  A couple of photos are included of this band.

I thought about how to proceed with the repair for at least a week.  After determining that there was enough of the torched band to use the upper left side with the screw hole to make the small 90 degree bend over the stock and attach to the existing original band, I started the process.  After using a small grinder to remove the inner part of the band, I cut the pieces longer than needed to allow for adjustment.  The band measured .054 thick so I filed the two mating pieces down to .027 each and spliced the two together using JB weld.  The visible splice was right at the 90 degree bend which helps to keep the splice to be not as noticeable.  To assemble the final piece to my existing band, the biggest problem I had to overcome was joining two pieces of flat sheet metal together, that was strong enough to support the band spring pressure that it would encounter.  For me, I knew welding of any kind was out of the question, so I used a tempered punch to indent a half dozen pricks on the underside of the upper part of the band and since the band that goes around the barrel is tempered I could only scratch the surface with a sharp awl.  This was enough to allow the JB weld to have something to “stick to” as it turned out great!  The next problem was my original band had a nice parkerized patina to it and the replacement band was more rusted so it was a stark contrast in the two bands.  I remedied this with Naval Jelly on the replacement band which gave it a phosphate finish look.  I couldn’t be more happy how this turned out.  It was a very tedious repair that took me several weeks of thinking about it and making the final decisions on how to proceed.  Hopefully you can see a few photos of this band replacement below.

I added a hand guard that matched the condition of the rifle along with an unmarked old used khaki sling.  My intension in this repair is not to try and fool anyone now or in the future, as the repair is obvious to anyone looking at the rifle.  I wouldn’t want to carry the rifle over my shoulder with this repaired front band, but it sure looks nice hanging on my wall!  Below are a few photos of the completed rifle.  Thank you for reading my long winded write up and viewing the photos.  I hope they come out in the right order. 

Well, I tried to add the photos in the middle of text but I'm not tech savvy enough to do it.  Photos are in order of receiving the Carbine, working on the band and the finished project.  

03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2020 at 11:51pm
Nice, "tedious", work Jim; a good save.

I do believe you could soft solder The joints while on the barrel without damage; if the JB pops loose-
maybe you will want to try.
Don
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2020 at 11:58pm
well you certainly saved the best of two doomed bands
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 12:10am
Impressive work on recovering the band, very creative. Glad you could save that Rock, no question original parts.
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 8:52am
Looks good, nice carbine rescue.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 9:17am
It looks great.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 10:35am
You have provide a much needed service to the carbine universe. 

I'm working on my son and grandson so they can develop a feel for the 30 carbine, hoping to keep it active well into the future.
David Milisock
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 10:57am
Nice find.  That is an awesome repair. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 12:04pm
I also think it looks great, I am curious to know if the JB weld will hold up if you shoot it.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2020 at 10:16pm
Thank you for the positive comments on this Carbine.

Don,
I first thought about trying to solder but the thought of trying to hold these tiny pieces together when soldering made me blink on that idea.

Wayne,
I'm going to let someone else be the first to test the band by firing.  My intention in this fix was only as a wall hanger.

I forgot to add the data sheet the other evening, so here it is.  If anyone should want to see a photo of a particular part just ask as I took photos of most everything after cleaning it up.

Thanks again!

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 8:44am
Jangle, on the datasheet I see your front sight has a single R in the front. I'd be interested in a picture of it, and also the barrel proof P. Thanks for sharing!
Crusader_6 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 10:14am
I really liked what you did with that carbine. I would’ve done the same. I’m currently doing the same for an Universal I have. I enjoyed your post and pictures. 
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 2:09pm
The patina of the metal is very appealing to me.

There is just something about that look of age, that will always
grab my attention over something shiny and spotless.

Congratulations on the find and well done on the restoration work!
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Jangle, on the datasheet I see your front sight has a single R in the front. I'd be interested in a picture of it, and also the barrel proof P. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I'd like to see the marking too.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 9:11pm
I had a few other request for photos, so I am posting pics of Rock Ola marking in bottom of slide, KR hammer in a diamond?, straight hammer marks only on trigger housing, rear sight punch stake marks on left side and chisel staking on right side and R on front sight along with P barrel proof which is 5 3/4" behind front sight and is 3/32" high.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 9:50pm
Pretty uncommon markings to note are the R on the front of the sight and the ROCK-OLA stamped inside the slide bucket. The font is different on the front sight than another image I saved.
Good call on the photo request, GotSnlB28.

How many flaming bombs on the left side of the barrel where the slide track is located?
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Pretty uncommon markings to note are the R on the front of the sight and the ROCK-OLA stamped inside the slide bucket. The font is different on the front sight than another image I saved.
Good call on the photo request, GotSnlB28.

How many flaming bombs on the left side of the barrel where the slide track is located?

There was only one flaming bomb on barrel flat, just in front of piston.  Gas cylinder was Rock Ola only.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 11:26pm
The barrel flat being on the bottom? It's the left side of the barrel on the slide rail area I was wondering about. Nothing there? Usually there's at least one small flaming bomb.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

The barrel flat being on the bottom? It's the left side of the barrel on the slide rail area I was wondering about. Nothing there? Usually there's at least one small flaming bomb.

Yes, the barrel flat being on the bottom.
I have no other flaming bombs listed on my notes.  
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 9:43am
I'd keep it as a neat wall hanger and not test that barrel band, of course it might hold up fine, but better safe than sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>