Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Last Underwood Barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Last Underwood Barrel
    Posted: Jun 12 2020 at 9:24pm
2020-F   
The Last Underwood Barrel

In 1945 James Fifield, Administrative Assistant, Springfield Ordnance District, wrote a newspaper article on the many achievements of the Connecticut companies that produced for the war effort.

“While carbines were only one item manufactured by Underwood, the record made was outstanding”

“Original conversion plans of early 1942 were geared to requirements of 1100 barrels a day by Underwood, but the program was stepped rapidly to 4400 barrels daily, and eventually to a peak production of 7000 barrels a day”

“Before the war’s end, Underwood had produced 1,706,436 carbine barrels of which 600,177 went into the company’s own carbines”

A former member in Connecticut contacted me with an interesting display of an Underwood barrel. Note the number is one digit higher than as reported in the news article.

It was told that this was prominently displayed in an office at the Underwood facility in Hartford Connecticut and removed before the building was slated for destruction. Unfortunately, no information was obtained as to whose office this was displayed. 

The plaque, though simple, was finely relieved for a perfect fit of the barrel. The mounts and plaque are chrome plated.

The barrel is appropriately dated 11-44. Carbine production ceased in April of 1944 for most factories. Underwood continued to produce barrels under a spares contract.
The gas chamber is the late style as reported in March 2016 based on observations of Marcus Rust.

The muzzle has a rounded crown. The barrel threads and chamber are in the white. Note that the chamber skirt is long.  This has been reported on late Underwood carbines.

The Carbine Collectors Club Copyright© 2020 

www.USCarbineCal30.com

The pictures are the property of the barrel owner and used with permission for this article. The pictures or article are not to be used without prior written permission (Title 17, Chapter 5, Section 501(a) U.S. Code)

Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2020 at 11:45pm
This is why I come to this forum.  I cannot get enough of the history.  Thank you for sharing this with us.  
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 12:04am
Now that would be something cool to own. Very interesting, thanks for posting.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 10:01am
Awesome, thanks for sharing. Would love to see that one come up for auction.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 10:35am
Thank you for the detailed write up and excellent photos.  
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 10:45am
Great read! I'd suppose some more are out there but I haven't seen many 11-44 outside of this article, 1 I think. I have a NOS one a few months earlier and it's such a work of art I hate to use it!
Butsky View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2020 at 5:53pm
love to have this hanging up in my den!!
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2020 at 11:55pm
I wonder if we may see some out of the Philippines...

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2217/E3E2D9BB-7F54-40E8-9698-B78EFEFE584F.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Jan 06 2024 at 12:46pm
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2020 at 5:37am
not a chance if they were US made, it's against the law
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2020 at 7:38am
Wow, that's a lot of barrels. Off hand I'd have thought they should be wrapped with preservative? If that's an old picture, they may not be in good condition anymore. I see some evidence of rust.
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2020 at 1:41pm
is it against the law to import tomato stakes or rebar for concrete work? They look like good substitutes to me...or at least that’s what the customs paperwork will say lol
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2020 at 9:42pm
One of the first Underwood Barrels

Edited by New2brass - Jun 17 2020 at 11:29pm
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 7:26am
Having lived there for three years. moss growing on our shoes, more rice in the sugar bowl than sugar, lite bulbs on in all of the closets, they are bound to be in pretty bad shape.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply