Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My first two carbines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first two carbines
    Posted: May 21 2020 at 9:29am
Here are my first two carbines, both bought from the RTI batch from Ethiopia. I'm about 50% finished with the data sheets and will post here once I'm finished. 

Left: "Early configuration" Winchester with Winchester barrel, RMC I-cut stock, mixed other components. 
Right: "Excellent/unissued" NPM with Marlin barrel, Winchester oval stock, mixed other components. 

The Winchester looks like it was fired a few times and then shelved. It doesn't look like the NPM was fired at all after rebuild. Bright and shiny bores/barrels on both. I'll measure once the gauge arrives this week. 

Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 9:46am
More of the NPM below (my favorite of the two). If you guys want to see pictures of anything specific just let me know!

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 11:38am
what’s the serial number on the Winchester? I can make it out. Mid 5 mil? Don’t see many of the Winchester type 2 bands.

Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 12:03pm
5622XXX on the Winchester, 4222XXX on the NPM

The Winchester arrived filthy and it took a few hours to clean. I scrubbed with hot water and soap, hot air to dry, then soaked everything metal in mineral spirits (some light cosmoline in some areas). I then rinsed/soaked in Hoppe's 9 to get an even coating on all the surfaces. Wiped down, then oiled as needed. 

For the stock, light rubbing with hot water and Murphy's (small amount) did the trick. 

Here were the guts before cleaning:

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 12:25pm
Very cool. Cleaning grungy guns can be really gratifying. I just got a Winchester myself that was filthy. Cleaned up very nicely.

Slap a correct stock set on it and it will really be sweet. 
 Post Reply Post Reply