Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speaking of RTI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guppy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaking of RTI
    Posted: Apr 29 2020 at 4:26pm
Since I was lucky and got an Un-Quality from RTI when I ordered the lowest priced M1 Carbine I talked myself into taking another shot. 

With that in mind, I called them and asked if they had any 'project' Carbines, as in not listed for sale and still available cheaper as they may need some repair or replacement stock etc.  Turns out they do and I was able to get myself a 'project' for $300 less than what is listed as the lowest price on the website.

I know most folks want them in great shape, but I was looking for one to bring back to life.  Figured there may be others with that same mindset here.  If so it  would be worth giving them a call as the one I'm getting is not one of the 16 remaining on the website listing.

Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky again :)
cosmoline45 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmoline45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2020 at 11:07pm
what a great idea!
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2020 at 1:23pm
Did they happen to say what issues you can expect the carbine to have?
Guppy35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guppy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2020 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by carbinekid carbinekid wrote:

Did they happen to say what issues you can expect the carbine to have?

Sounds like it might be damaged stocks. 
Guppy35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guppy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:17pm
For what it's worth.  I got the early Inland carbine today that I got for $300 less than the lowest price carbines listed.  The issue was in fact a missing piece from the stock.   Again I got lucky I believe.  It's an early Inland, serial number 332XXX.  The barrel is dated 5-43.  It does have a bayonet lug as well as the flip safety and Type II rear sight.  Everything else seems to be original.  The stock although missing a piece, seems to be the one it came with originally. The cartouche is visible on the right side of the stock and it appears to be a high stock as well. A Type I handguard I believe too.  No Springfield Armory stamp like I had on the Un-Quality I got from RTI. 

When I picked it up today at the local gun shop/FFL there happened to be a gunsmith there who also owns carbines.  I asked him what he thought.  He looked it over and told me the barrel looked great and everything was functioning well.  He then told me to clean it a bit and go shoot it :)

So I got lucky a second time.  I know some folks have been unhappy with their carbine from RTI, but both exceeded my expectations.  And they are pieces of history and that's what matters in the end to me.

Guppy35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guppy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:19pm
The damage. Not sure what to do about it, but because it appears to be the original stock I don't want to replace it if possible
Guppy35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guppy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:20pm
Some other views to follow.

Guppy35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guppy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:20pm
and more

Guppy35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guppy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:22pm
cosmoline45 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmoline45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:36pm
i’d be happy with that one too!
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 8:49am
I haven't seen much lately that interests me from RTI. The early featured ones were interesting but not much else. The $600 specials were down where they might have tempted me in a different time but they ultimately didn't before they sold out. If we ever have shows again there will be much better pricing and condition to be found just like there was before they turned the global economy off.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 10:04am
tenOCEE,

I agree. Although I'm happy for those that have purchased from RTI and received exactly what they paid for, good for them. The "ONLY" reason I'm happy for the recent RTI carbines is that it has driven up the value my CMP carbines. For the money RTI is asking on some of these, there are much better condition deals out there with a little invested time to look. 
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 11:52am
To me RTI spells out Really Tepid Interest on my part.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 1:41pm
Perhaps it was the self-discipline spilling over from all this COVID-19 fiasco but I did manage to subdue a moderate to severe case of carbineitus. Glad to see I'm not the only one to not pull the trigger on one of these.  (Pun intended.)
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 6:13pm
I'm really "meh" on these too... I'm happy to live vicariously through other buyers of early featured RTI carbines. My only interest was examining in person to collect data and possibly hand selecting one, but obviously that was/is a pipe dream. I would rather seek out other specific examples missing from my collection, and just shoot the ones I already have.

@OP, you got a decent rifle for the money there.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 7:47pm
Kinda meh as well. Not meant as a negative, but who knew UNQ’s were in the mix.

Even if not completely correct, if mine would keep them the way they are. If only RTI knew what they had.

To the OP, nice pickup.
Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:09am
I was very satisfied with my "excellent/unissued" NPM and ordered a second, this time an early production. 

Received the shipping notice today -- looks like a 5622xxx Winchester. Will post pics when it arrives.

For those of us just getting into M1 carbines or who weren't around to enjoy CMP buys (early 20s here), these RTI's are definitely a good investment. I'm keeping the early production intact and will use the NPM for shooting. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:11pm
5.62 is not an early production. Lots of brand new posters are always promoting the purchase of items like these every time something similar pops up. It's been long enough for people with decades of experience to evaluate what we're seeing. I've seen this exact thing happen several times on different arm platforms.

After they're gone you won't see many of these brand new posters involved on the specific forums. Investment? Probably not.
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:31pm
The OP did well and I'm happy for him....me?...nope.

I'm glad to see RTI at least return these MAP M1 Carbines back us. I wish we could return others as well in many other countries.....I know South Korea has an excess of 1M....the Philippines also have a pile of carbines waiting to return, that would be a CMP dream once again.

My last CMP carbine purchase was in the early 2000's and purchased my entire quota for service grade. Boy was I in heaven when the Fed Ex truck backed into my driveway with all those carbines! 

Edited by Ricci1165 - May 15 2020 at 2:22pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:57pm
For the record I never bought during CMP's general releases of Carbines so I'm not looking at this from that perspective. I bought an IP and M1A1 at auction for high prices. Prices that they're still selling for occasionally. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>