Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WWII era Inland carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 12:44am
Hi,
I just discover your post and wonderful carbine.
May I ask you whether you have some background history?

I wish you all the best thru those harsh circumstances.

Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by PLN-TAP-7 PLN-TAP-7 wrote:

Hi,
I just discover your post and wonderful carbine.
May I ask you whether you have some background history?

I wish you all the best thru those harsh circumstances.

Thank you, PLN-TAP-7. Unfortunately there isn’t a whole lot of history attached to this carbine that I know of. I bought it from one of the members of the Phoenix Gun club at one of their monthly luncheon meetings that a group of us  members of the Historical Arms Society of Tucson (HAST) used to attend on occasion. That was several years ago - I cannot remember how many, for my memory is not very good these days. He was an avid collector that liked to upgrade carbines he purchased so that the parts were as historically correct as possible when the carbine left the factory. I was searching for early Inland production carbines that were as historically correct as possible and that reflected field/combat use with associated (typical) exterior (especially stock) blemishes and might contain some parts and assemblies replaced by field maintenance. The owner said this carbine met those criteria and he would sell it  for $700. When we field stripped it together I was struck by how nice the interior parts were. At that time I was not very knowledgeable about parts authenticity for I had only used and maintained carbines in the field and on the firing range during my United States Air Force career in accordance with the appropriate Military directives (we really didn’t care much about manufacturing history or procedures) - a situation I am still attempting to remedy personally via the CC website, participating on this forum and reading/re-reading Ruth’s books - I think I am improving my knowledge in this regard, although I am certainly not as proficient as the majority of CC members).

The seller said he had re-parkerized the metal parts in general, and re-blued the barrel assembly & bolt. The condition and appearance of the stock bothered me, for to my eyes the surfaces looked too good for a carbine that might have seen combat or field use.

Anyway, I took a flyer and bought it. I missed the next couple of meetings, our group stopped driving up to Phoenix, and I have not seen the seller since. He was a nice gentleman and the carbine has met my expectations - I am well satisfied with my purchase.

Since I made this purchase I have acquired two additional stocks so that I can configure the carbine as a training aid to illustrate different configurations during presentations I sometimes make to such groups as HAST (Historical Arms Society of Tucson).

Top to bottom:

Type 1. I cut, High wood, early stock with IO and flaming bomb markings in opposite side sling well - reasonably clear Ordnance wheel cartouche - well worn surfaces that are to be expected on carbines with field or combat use: plenty of dings and blemishes.

I call this my “WWII era field use stock configuration carbine”

Type 1. I cut, High wood, stock with IO marking in opposite side sling well - clear Ordnance wheel cartouche - very nice wood surface without dings or blemishes. I call this my “WWII era possible stock replacement carbine”

Type 2. Oval cut, High wood stock with thin wood strip covering operating slide removed and with IO marking in opposite side sling well - very faint Ordnance wheel cartouche - very dark finish to wood. “I call this my field maintenance or Depot repaired WW II stock carbine”.

Edited by Jamesicus - Nov 21 2020 at 4:09pm
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 3:17pm
Thank you for sharing this: the history of the acquisition of a gun is also interesting really.
Nice collection of stocks.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 3:39pm
Jamesicus,

I could be happy just collecting stocks.

I'd like to Thank You for your service Thumbs Up

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 4:05pm
Me too, Charlie - thank you Very much.

James
Butsky View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 5:38pm
Sweet carbine! You can be very proud to own this baby!
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 7:33pm
Thank you, Butsky - I am.

James
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 7:46pm
I have gifted all of my carbines to my grandchildren plus one very special friend (who I know will be good custodians) except for my favorite WWII Inland with the Type 1. I cut, High wood, early stock wiith faint Ordnance wheel cartouche, IO and flaming bomb markings in the sling well, and with well worn and dinged surfaces - my “WWII era field use stock”.

I thought it would appropriate to post these photos of that carbine here for further information:

Edited by Jamesicus - Nov 21 2020 at 8:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12