Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WWII era Inland carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WWII era Inland carbine
    Posted: Mar 28 2020 at 11:53pm
 I am personally living through a strange phase of my life. I am literally re-living my teenage years because of this blasted Coronavirus. This is just like the Great Depression and the Home front in Britain during WWII all over again for me - but much more scary. I am now ninety years old and inflicted with Diabetes and diminished kidney function - my wife has only partial heart muscle function and chronic Cardiac disease. So we are now self quarantined in our home under Doctor’s orders - trying not to become potential carriers of the virus to our family members and fellow citizens. We have been like this for three weeks and I am now suffering mightily from cabin-fever!

I cannot use my regular photography set-up and equipment right now, but here is a pic of my favorite carbine, a pretty early Inland SN 1691xx with an Inland barrel dated 1-43. I snapped this pic in my bedroom using my iPad so it is not very good and I apologize for that.  

“I” cut, high wood, type 1 stock

Note: I have transferred the rest of the photos to the bottom of this thread as they seem to make more sense there. (James).

Edited by Jamesicus - Nov 21 2020 at 8:35pm
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2020 at 11:58pm
Very nice thanks for sharing
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 12:45am
James, Great looking carbine thanks for sharing. We are all living in the "Twilight Zone" right now, hopefully it will come to an end sooner rather than later.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 9:05am
That's a really nice carbine you've got there. Thanks for sharing. Take care.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 10:40am
We like them the same way!
Do you recall what hammer it has?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 10:46am
Nice, would like to see more of it. Great job sizing the pictures too.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 11:20am
Nice looking Carbine.  Thanks for posting the photos!
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 11:52am
Thank you fellow carbine lovers.

Edited by Jamesicus - Apr 03 2020 at 10:04pm
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 12:05pm
You aren't alone in staying housebound. My wife and I are both in our 70s. Both of us have serious issues that put us in the high risk group. I love your carbine. Its exactly the kind that I love too. My early inland is in the 26,6xx range. One of these days, I'll get around to posting some pictures. Except for being a bit earlier, mine could nearly pass for a twin. You take care of yourself. 
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I don’t remember the detailed hammer description Dan. I will dis-assemble it and post some “innards” parts pics - hopefully shortly. At present I am struggling with using tools and taking pictures - operating seated in my wheeled walker and only able to stand on one foot holding my iPad in one hand is a problem.

Edited by Jamesicus - Apr 03 2020 at 10:06pm
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

You aren't alone in staying housebound. My wife and I are both in our 70s. Both of us have serious issues that put us in the high risk group. I love your carbine. Its exactly the kind that I love too. My early inland is in the 26,6xx range. One of these days, I'll get around to posting some pictures. Except for being a bit earlier, mine could nearly pass for a twin. You take care of yourself. 
Thank you Smokepole! I would love to see some pics of your carbine! Take care of each other!

James

Edited by Jamesicus - Apr 03 2020 at 1:31pm
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Nice, would like to see more of it. Great job sizing the pictures too.
Thank you fan. I will post some more pictures - hopefully pretty soon.

Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 12:17pm
Here is a pic I forgot:

Just showing some stock surface and “high wood” junction

Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 1:54pm
Just a quick addition. Here is an “in process” restoration of an Overton/Inland type 1, “I” cut, high wood stock that I recently came by. It is in really excellent condition - no dings or blemishes and with clear markings. It had been refinished with a glossy varnish on very smooth wood that I didn’t like, so I chemically stripped it to bare wood and lightly scuffed the wood surface using 150 grit sand paper (exercising the principle of least possible harm). I started my refinishng by soaking it in raw linseed oil and letting the surplus drain away ala Overton. I use Plaza cold pressed raw linseed oil that they guarantee does not contain any chemical additives.

Raw, cold pressed, with no chemical additives.

Edited by Jamesicus - Nov 18 2020 at 7:18pm
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Jamesicus Jamesicus wrote:

Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Thank you Smokepole! I would love to see some pics of your carbine! Take care of each other!

James
Any pics yet, Smokepole? I am anxious to see them.

Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2020 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

“I don’t remember the detailed hammer description Dan. I will dis-assemble it and post some “innards” parts pics - hopefully shortly. At present I am struggling with using tools and taking pictures, seated in my wheeled walker and only able to stand on one foot holding my iPad in one hand is a problem.”
……………………………………………………………………………………

Please excuse the long delay in answering @New2brass - right after I posted the above, I experienced some severe medical problems that resulted in a long series of tests and procedures that led to bed confinement - a couple of bad falls has hindered my recovery. But enough of that - so many people are suffering these days - some a lot worse than me - I now live in my bedroom and feel pretty good - and I was able to celebrate my 91st birthday this past August! And now to your question.

Note: I used Ruth’s book  “War Baby” and the appropriate “Carbine Club” web pages as my primary references to compose the captions for the following photos of the hammer. I didn’t disassemble the trigger housing because I do not have enough grip strength in my hands to unscrew tightly installed screws due to Neuropathy (I can’t even screw off jar lids these days!). The parts look somewhat grey (the white areas are actually shiny) but they are really black parkerized - I have to use my lightweight curtained bedroom window for back lighting now when taking photos.

I would appreciate comments and further information.

Hammer, type “A” - early “dog-leg” - right side

Left side (stampings?)

End view showing slotted hammer.

Edited by Jamesicus - Nov 18 2020 at 6:53pm
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2020 at 7:18pm
No pictures yet. I've been busy with deer season and medicare/drug plan season! I'm sure you understand the last reference. I just sent in the data sheets on 3 of my carbines. Those took some time too. I'll get to those photos soon, I hope.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2020 at 10:16am
James, Sorry for your health issues. That neuropathy is a bitch.
Happy 91st!Party

Window lighting with a light or sear curtain takes excellent photos!
we call that a type 1 hammer.
HI is Hemphill Co. for Inland

Best, Dan
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2020 at 11:42am
Thank you very much, Dan!

James
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2020 at 12:36pm
Hello again, fellow collectors. After I had field stripped the carbine I took some random photos of various parts and assemblies which I have posted here. Please let me know if there are any other snapshots you would like to see. About the dust - I forgot to wipe it off the parts before I took the pics - sorry, it will not happen again!

Barrel manufacturer’s stamping (Inland Mfg. Div. etc.) & Date (1 - 43) plus front
Sight stamping “N”.

Swedged gas cylinder marked “SI”

Barrel flat showing operating slide dismount notch and stampings.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>