Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal scope mount drillings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamscotticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 2:47pm
OK, thanks for that.  I was thinking if I got close, some cranking wouldn't be such a bad thing and not an issue with the Torx heads.
back to th mount supplied screws...
Do you know what they are?  I estimated them to be 8-40.
But the 8-32 seems to start better and a previous poster said he used them.
I have plenty of spares to destroy trying.
handy little rifle needs upgrades
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 3:10pm
The screws supplied with my mount were 8-40, but they didn't fit the receiver. That's why I tapped the receiver to 8-32 and switched to socket head cap screws. Looks like the same major diameter but different pitch. My receiver was neither 32 nor 40 tpi. With such a thin section I was unable to measure the actual pitch of the threads in the receiver. I think I might have guessed they were 8-48 but I have no way to confirm that now since my receiver has already been modified. It would make sense that a finer pitch would have been used considering the thin section of the receiver. More threads, better hold.
JackP
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 5:41pm
This is on a mount supplier web site, there are some links here to places that may help people to mount the site bracket, I did mine using the screws that came with it, just had to grind them a little shorter.

I'm not trying to cause an issue, just stating that with a side mount the screws have to be very tight and hold tight if you don't want the scope to come loose. with side mounts the recoil will loosen the screws and the scope will flop from side to side.
I was told by a very knowledgeable source that the base has been around for longer than the Universal, it was original made for a leaver action rifle and Universal adopted it

Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Iamscotticus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamscotticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 9:13am
Thanks for that and no issue at all.
I love learning about all this stuff and I hope others will benefit from the info as well.
I have ordered  a Cerosafe kit and want to cast the threads to get an answer go the original question although I may be friction threading eventually.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 1:05pm
Would the Ultra Dot be long enough to fit in to both rings?
Just asking......

Good luck
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 1:09pm
Kinda sounds like someone altered one of the mount holes.

Don't know if this will help but hope so.

Over time Weaver has changed locations and ownership several times. Also model numbers. The most current info on the side mount and the two scope mounts are included below.

I have one of the previous models of the long scope mount with 1" rings. Included in the box is an instruction sheet. I scanned it and it's available as a download below. On the bottom of the back of the page is the info below on the side mounts. The one for the Universal and GI carbines was the Model M back then.

For a perspective of the broad range these mounts I have will fit, some of what I have owned have included the following Universal carbines drilled and tapped at the factory for the Universal Firearms side mount: 482985, 443733, 308241, 107957, and 33939. All were drilled and tapped to accept the standard Weaver side mount screws that come with the side mount for the carbine.

Installing a new side mount requires the screws be secured with Loctite, preferably red (removable), then removal of the tips of the screws if they protrude into the path of the left bolt lug so they are flush with the inside of the receiver.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weaver Installation Instructions (pdf)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weaver Side-Mount Scope Base #M Gloss

Model 48409 M
Prior: Model M, Model 08415

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100921756?pid=376810

Weaver 1" Detachable Side-Mount Rings Gloss High

Model 49350

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/272671

Weaver 1" Detachable Side-Mount Rings Long-Style Gloss High

Weaver Model 49340
Prior: Model 09340

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340963

As a side note, for a number of years the side mount was made under the Tasco name. The side mount base was catalog no. 804.

Jim
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 2:17pm

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 12:30pm
A quick view of the name brand 'Ultra Dot' red dot scopes gives a length of 5.1"..... Say- 5-1/8"th.
But mentions some having a tube extension. Link below.....

On the long mount it looks like a close fit.

Thanks Sleepless,
Always appreciate your help.

Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamscotticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 10:22pm
Charlie,
Sorry for the late reply.
I didn't even see Sleepless's posts till I checked in tonight.
Tanks Sleepless.   Good stuff.

I had gotten a gen 1 Ultra Dot from Optics P and returned it because they didn't specify it was G1 and I wanted a G2.
I will be putting a Leupold FXII Ultralight on it anyway because I know this rifle will not be used much and an electro dot battery will just drain out.  Not SHTF reliable.

I do believe the Ultradot will fit but if you want to use the rubber eyecup, the unit will have to be spaced back so the front rim of the objective is about 1/8" short of the front edge of the front ring.  Nothing anyone would notice.Just don't over tighten the rings.

Do look into the FXII.  Leupold puts it in the rimfire scope category but it is very tough and has a great eye box.

I think the 8-40 threads are finer than the receiver threads so the screws will be sacrificial.  
I doubt I would be doing any damage to the receiver threads.  I can use the #6 screws as depth gauges to find the various lengths.

I found a handy tool for grinding the screws:

Update:
Wolf got caught up and sent me the action springs!  I was waiting for the springs to get going with this project.  I didn't want to tear this down without fresh springs to go in.

Thanks everybody!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamscotticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2020 at 10:36pm
OK guys, I have all the parts and Im ready to install the mount.
Before I do, I have two questions:
1) with the mount base installed, is there any interference removing the bolt?
2) What would you think about using Weld Mount Systems AT-8040 adhesive to permanently bond the base to the receiver?  If if bonds, I doubt there will be any movement

Thanks,
Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12