Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethiopian carbines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmoline45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

David, Good pictures, thank you!

I posted some add’l pics over in the “collectors” section. Here’s one of the carbines I received from RTI this week.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 7:53pm
Well done.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2020 at 5:11pm
I just ordered a Rockola carbine from RTI.

While discussing the grades and costs, I found the following add ons for various mfgs- if you want them to pick a particular mfg.:
I called back and got "the rest of the story today 4-13-20:Big smile
Inland- $100
Winchester- 150
Quality HMC- 300
Rockola-300
National PM- 500
Std. Pro. ;Underwood,IBM,Saginaw - all $200

This looks be a reflection of the relative numbers of each mfg. received at RTI;
or maybe just what they thought the market would bear.

I ordered the VG-excellent grade.
Will report in when it arrives.

Edited by 03manV - Apr 13 2020 at 4:45pm
Don
cosmoline45 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmoline45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2020 at 5:51pm
i ordered one of the excellent/unissued versions....very pleased to receive a ‘43 Inland, ME is .5+ and no almost wear on internals. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2020 at 9:17pm
For those interested, RTI has also listed some original U.S. M4 bayonets that they received from Ethiopia.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Connor38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Connor38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

I just ordered a Rockola carbine from RTI.

While discussing the grades and costs, I found the following add ons for various mfgs- if you want them to pick a particular mfg.:
Inland- $100
Winchester- 150
Rockola-300
National PM or maybe it was IBM- 500
Std. Pro. was pretty high too.

I wish I'd asked about UN-Quality

they went through the others too fast for me to write them all down.

This may be a rough indication of the relative numbers of each mfg. received at RTI;
or maybe just what they thought the market would bear.

I ordered the VG-excellent grade.
Will report in when it arrives.

I asked them about UN-Quality and all they would tell me is that they have Quality Hardware.  They apparently won't look for a UN-Quality for you.  I also asked about IPs.  They apparently don't have any of those.
thunder1200 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunder1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 10:43pm
New guy here. I've been casually looking for the right time to buy an M1. I couldn't take it anymore & pulled the trigger on a RTI "Excellent to Unissued" with the "roll of the dice" option on the 9th.

Off to a great start as I see that today (10th) through the 12th they're including a German Repro WWII M.42 Steel Helmet at no charge if you drop over $700.
Guppy35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guppy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2020 at 5:25pm
Another new guy here.

For what it's worth, I ordered one of the low priced Carbines from RTI. Those were the ones they said were all Inlands.  Well they missed one as the 'project' I got turned out to be an Un-Quality.  It was clearly updated at some point. Stock has the SA-SHM stamp, M-U in the sling cut-out.  Underwood  43 marked barrel.   Type III rear site, later type safety and bayonet lug.  serial number 4459XXX.  I imagine they just didn't spot the Un-Quality under the rear sight, but the serial was clearly visible as was the 'comma' that I understand is unique to this particular batch

That being said, it appears I got one worth more than I spent :)
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2020 at 4:46pm
My earlier post with RTI hand pick price "add on" for the various mfgs is revised with
all mfgs. listed.

I think there are no IP in the batch, so no number for IP.
Don
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2020 at 3:07pm
My RTI Rockola came in today, I must say I'm disappointed with the condition.
Paid for "VG to EXC" plus the add on for Rockola; I'm not sure who grades these but the one I received is only "good" and that would be a stretch.

Typical Postwar rebuild of mixed parts; only saving grace is that it is from the last Rockola serial block, and only some 1500 rifles earlier than the last production.  Import marking on barrel is not too bad.

Serial is 6,218,108; arrived in a cut to low wood I stock, no markings but had a SG recoil lug- so maybe originally an early SG stock.

I'll post pictures when I have them in a new thread.
Don
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2020 at 11:27pm
I think what some of you are experiencing with this company is two fold.

First, the difference between those who handle operations and those who handle marketing. Unfortunately sometimes the marketing people handle both.

Second, marketing and operations personnel who don't know much about the .30 cal. carbines. Other than what they can read or refer to quickly. If there are multiple people involved some may know a bit more than others or spend a little more time learning.

If you get something other than what they claim, call them on it. Don't cut this company any slack.

Jim
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2020 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

First, the difference between those who handle operations and those who handle marketing. Unfortunately sometimes the marketing people handle both.

Second, marketing and operations personnel who don't know much about the .30 cal. carbines. Other than what they can read or refer to quickly. If there are multiple people involved some may know a bit more than others or spend a little more time learning.

If you get something other than what they claim, call them on it. Don't cut this company any slack.

Jim

I agree, tried to call today- line busy when I called.
Will keep at it and at least "call them on it"; for what it is worth- sometimes multiple complaints have a cumulative effect! Confused
Don
Berkowwm View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Berkowwm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2020 at 1:11pm
Hi,

I haven't been a frequent poster, but I wanted to share my recent experience ordering an early manufacture carbine from RTI last week. I was having trouble getting through over the phone to request a specific manufacturer, so I decided to roll the dice and see what I got. Communications with them were minimal, but fulfillment and shipping were lightning fast.

Data sheet and photos are pending once I have the time to clean it up part-by-part, but on cursory initial examination I think I did well:

-Receiver: Early Winchester (1,041,XXX), Type A, variation 1 with the two rail notches and detachable spring housing
-Flip sight: Winchester square S marked
-Barrel: Undated, with W mark and PW oval proof
-Barrel band: Early unmarked
-Bolt: Flat, blued, W on lug
-Recoil plate: W marked
-Safety: Push-button, looks Winchester
-Buttplate: Looks Winchester
-Handguard: old 2 rivet, no marks that I can see, loose fitting
-Stock: Low wall, oval oiler aperture, Ordinance cannon cartouche, and I think I saw Winchester markings but must check again. Seems like this stock would be a later type than the other parts on this carbine?

That's all I have for now.

How did I do??

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2020 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Berkowwm Berkowwm wrote:

How did I do??

Without seeing pictures, I'd say that you did pretty good.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
thunder1200 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunder1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2020 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Berkowwm Berkowwm wrote:

...  I was having trouble getting through over the phone to request a specific manufacturer, so I decided to roll the dice and see what I got. Communications with them were minimal, but fulfillment and shipping were lightning fast.
Just to echo similar experience, I've sent RTI 3 email and never had a reply to any of them.  I'm chalking it up to a likely reduction in resources.

Edited by thunder1200 - Apr 17 2020 at 9:00pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 4:58pm
So I took the plunge and ordered one of these carbines from RTI. I chose the early option and added a note stating "if possible prefer any manufacturer other that Inland", I knew that they picked a NPM to fill my order as they posted the serial# once it shipped. Today I received the absolutely filthy all original National Postal Meter, unfortunately it is in a S-HB low wood stock. Barrel finish is well worn but the muzzle wear is just under 2, headspace is perfect, sling swivel is bent up a bit but at least it is there. No complaints, but I will be cleaning it for days. 

Edited by W5USMC - Apr 22 2020 at 10:35am
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Berkowwm View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berkowwm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

No complaints, but I will be cleaning it for days. 

I totally know what you mean... When I took mine out of the stock, it looked like the dirty underside of an old car in the winter. After about 3 days of cleaning, I can confirm that there was, indeed, an M1 Carbine under all that grime!
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 9:39pm
Ditto on the cleaning.
I don't believe mine had been cleaned since it arrived in Ethopia!

But then, if one looks at the videos on the RTI website, it is quite understandable.Shocked
Don
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2020 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

Jim

I agree, tried to call today- line busy when I called.
Will keep at it and at least "call them on it"; for what it is worth- sometimes multiple complaints have a cumulative effect! Confused

UPDATE- 4-24-20
Finally someone answered the phone.
I explained my quality/grading complaint- just send it back and we'll replace it - was the suggestion.

A little more discussion and request for pictures of any replacement carbine ; which finally confirmed the fact that I could send it back,
but there are no more "Rockola" carbines in stock!

So I'll keep what I have.

I did ask for a $100 price reduction, the difference in their $899 "Good-VG" grade and the $999 I paid for "VG to Exc" grade.  

Not much rhyme or reason in what you get from RTI from reading several posts here and elsewhere-
kind of like Forrest Gump's" box of chocolates" ! Confused

We'll see how far the refund request goes, so more later!
Don
CoastieEd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoastieEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 9:07pm
Im glad to see they actually would work with you.  I have a National Postal Meter and paid and extra $400 for the "Unissued" hand select. I'm not too happy.  It's been sandblasted parkerized so heavy that the barrel band barely slides to the front sight.  Unissued and not used since it's last three rebuilds are not the same thing!
I cannot remove the barrel band retainer (I think the wood is swelled).  The barrel bore is rusted and when cleaned a lot of the rifling on the rusty side is rough and missing.  Must have been laying on it's side in a puddle.
To make this rifle safe it will have to go to a gun smith for inspection and possibly barrel replacement.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>