Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethiopian carbines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethiopian carbines
    Posted: Mar 25 2020 at 9:27am
Has anyone reached out to the company with the Ethiopian returns to see if any data can be collected off them? I’m about two hours away, I may be able to, but I have not reached out to them to see if they’d be open to it right now. 
-Neil
RedSpecial View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2020 at 9:28am
-Neil
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2020 at 9:53am
If I was that close I'd just go ahead and call them since you're more likely to make a trip. Multiple people calling may sour the communication line having them repeat the same stuff. Maybe inform them that there's an interest to document some of the details without stating you want to know everything about them, thus turning them off without a foot in the door.

Hey, there. The Club has an interest in some of the specifics. Is there a way someone can travel over to meet with you guys to review some of the specifics and maybe see them as well?
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2020 at 11:52am
I can do the reaching out, but I wasn’t sure if anyone else did and I did not want to duplicate efforts.  
-Neil
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2020 at 5:54pm
Anyone buys one of these or gets access, I'd like to get a good pic of their import markings for our Export/Import web page.

Jim
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2020 at 8:09pm
-Neil
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2020 at 5:10am
Originally posted by RedSpecial RedSpecial wrote:

https://youtu.be/YhnhfyPLRlg

Was SHM at SA (3:20) inspecting these rebuilt carbines provided to Ethiopia in 1945 (0:52)?
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2020 at 7:03am
Springfield started using SA/SHM in June 1945
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2020 at 8:37am
Not sure where RTI got the 1945 date. According to the MAP info on the club page the U.S. provided carbines to Ethiopia from 1951-1963 and later.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2020 at 12:36pm

@ Durango: when did they start rebuilding carbine? 
Also there is a SA/C in the video or pictures

But as Wayne pointed out that Ethiopia received them later.

If you watch the video Ulirch states imported by InterOrdnance, and he is also from InterOrdnance.

At about 3:07 in the video there is a pallet of carbines. On the right side It looks like the barrel has the import marking with two lines of information.

Did anyone read the descriptions? Sunday Funnies LOL

Maybe they got the Ethiopia part incorrect as well?
Some in the crate looked nice. Others................, but I cannot locate those pictures now.

@Red: If you are going to contact them I can put together some questions for you to ask. I think in a Newsletter or two we were able to get serial number lists and other info. One could only hope.
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2020 at 2:51pm
The SA/SHM was used from 6/21/45 - 8/20/47. I'm not sure of exact date they started rebuilding carbines but according  to CCNL 258 by mid 1944 SA had the machinery to produce Carbine parts, in fiscal 1945 SA produced 30 different replacement  parts. So I assume SA started the rebuilds in early /mid 45? I will try and find exact date.

Edited by Durango56 - Mar 27 2020 at 4:04pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2020 at 4:07pm
Springfield Armory was involved with the carbine program, but not producing, since its inception. 

Though they received machines to build carbines they had difficulty putting the machines together correctly leading to carbine manufacture being tabled. The parts they made were not necessarily on received production tooling.

War Baby pg. 535 mentions SA overhauling 13,005 carbines in 1946.
War Baby pg. 565 mentions SA being rewarded a rebuild contract in 1949

This was not an extensive search, so please let us know if you find something earlier.

Any idea who the large "C' was at SA and time frame?
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2020 at 8:25pm
the fact that they list a condition option for unissued is very surprising. I really can’t imagine that being true. You’d think they would have showed one in that condition in their little video...
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 11:26am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

@Red: If you are going to contact them I can put together some questions for you to ask. I think in a Newsletter or two we were able to get serial number lists and other info. One could only hope.

Well, as much as I would like to, I don’t know if I will be able to any time soon giving the work/pandemic interaction. Also, I don’t know if by the time I got there they would have any left. The other day they had 99 available and two days later they were down to 60-something. 
-Neil
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2020 at 11:32am
They are back up to 100 in stock today. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2020 at 2:43am
just saw a post on Facebook from someone that paid extra for one of the excellent/unissued carbines. The carbine he received indeed was in excellent condition and looked unused since rebuild. It is a typical 1950s rebuild with all late features in an SA M2 stock marked with an open box SA rebuild stamp. Import markings on the barrel forward of the bayonet lug, two lines in a dot matrix style. Wouldn’t think its worth $1300.
cosmoline45 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cosmoline45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 5:02pm
glad to help, i’ll try to take you a better pic

Edited by cosmoline45 - Apr 10 2020 at 12:04pm
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cosmoline45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 5:10pm
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cosmoline45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 5:14pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 6:02pm
David, Good pictures, thank you!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>