The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greenie from WA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote former173rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greenie from WA
    Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 4:48pm
Hello from rainy WA....Got my 2nd carbine recently (first got away Cry) and want to find out what I have.   
Ret. Army
Long time shooter - not collector - althought I do have a couple of neat guns
Enjoy crafting with Leather...sheaths, axe covers, belts...etc
   "      woodworking
Don't get out much.

anyway, back to the Carbine...It's an Inland, supposedly in one of the M2 ranges.  I have ordered the 8th ed of the M1 Carbine Wartime Production to get started on its history....
Is there a logical, step by step, way to approach this?  Maybe somebody can prevent me from reinventing the wheel....

Nice to be here, and I wish all of you a safe year.
John
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by former173rd former173rd wrote:

Is there a logical, step by step, way to approach this?  Maybe somebody can prevent me from reinventing the wheel...

First off welcome to the forum, best approach is to post some pictures of your carbine.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 6:03pm
Hi John and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

After posting pictures start to fill out a Carbine Club Data Sheet on your new Inland. That's the best thing a new member can do to be involved in club information gathering. Here are links to some helpful instructions and videos.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-club-data-sheets_topic26.html

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/how-to-videos-and-links_topic1084.html
JackP
former173rd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote former173rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 6:34pm
OK....I'm on it..
thanks!

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote former173rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 6:42pm
Is it OK to use image posting service....Post image.org?

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 6:58pm
Linking to image hosting sites can be done but there is always a risk that the link could be broken or the image could be deleted from the site. Downloading images ensures that the image is archived permanently on the Club's server and will not disappear. Here's a link to help in editing and posting pictures.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/pictures-tips-sizing-and-posting-avatars_topic1083.html
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote former173rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 7:03pm
OK...gotta get my "learning curve" hat on...this may take a minute!

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote former173rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 7:22pm
Should I post overall, dissambled, close up of everything?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 7:27pm

Should I post overall, dissambled, close up of everything?

An overall and then pics of any and all parts markings.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote former173rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 9:08pm
Image host:  https://postimg.cc/gallery/yDzmDDd

I'll try the forum posting later...hopefull this will get through....  I'm working with a Mac, so the forum instructions/methods don't work (at least for me!)

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote former173rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 9:21pm
Sorry....SN  5480286
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 9:23pm
Your image host did not work for me, I got 
 404 Not found
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote former173rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 9:32pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 10:00pm
Yes that worked, but I am having trouble getting through all the pictures, NORTON keeps blocking everything saying "Malicious Site Blocked!" 
The one thing that I noticed in the pictures that I could open is that your Sling is definitely a reproduction.

Edited by W5USMC - Mar 23 2020 at 10:35pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 10:08pm
I see some recognizable markings typical of Inland such as "OI" stock, "HI" hand guard, American Swiss barrel band, Inland trigger guard, "I.R.C.O." rear sight, "N" front sight, Inland barrel hieroglyphics, "PI" operating slide. The "doubled" CC on the stock, although a little blurry, looks okay. The stock is very nice, almost too nice, but I think it's okay. I can't quite make out the barrel date other than it's 1944 which is probably original. The only thing I am sure is not original is the sling. It's a reproduction.
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote former173rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 10:31pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2020 at 9:00am
Uploading pics to this website is recommended. Often times I (and assume others) won't follow links, since it's a security issue. Some of the hosting sights cause bogs, they pirate your machine and generally are bandwidth hogs that don't perform well.
Loading to the sight is easy and they stay here (you can remove them or ask that they be removed later if you want), while hosting sights can sometimes make them disappear years down the road and you & others can't see what was being discussed, which makes it a pointless post in the future.

Jack, did I read on CMP a posting where you said NPM was sold to Commercial Controls in a reply to Roger? Note that Roger said the name was changed, not that they sold. Newbs will repeat that it was sold.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2020 at 10:27am
@tenOCEE, please re-read my posts on CMP. I was confirming the location of Trimble. No mention of Commercial Controls on my part.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2020 at 10:54am

anyway, back to the Carbine...It's an Inland, supposedly in one of the M2 ranges. 

There is a post on how to upload images from an ipad product in the top forum section.

As for Mac I would think similar.
Maybe one of the MAC guys could post a tutorial?

A good place to start is right here, Click on the carbine picture at top of forum. It brings you to the main pages  

there are parts pages as well as a ton of related information.

Reisch is a nice start but his serial ranges are not correct. There are also errors that have long been pointed out that were not changed in the 8th.

Could you take a close up of the crossed cannons on the stock?

Welcome to the insanity!

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2020 at 11:53am
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

@tenOCEE, please re-read my posts on CMP. I was confirming the location of Trimble. No mention of Commercial Controls on my part.

You're right, it was Hueyjazz. Sorry for the mix up.

6 Ring

Correct on sale to Commercial Controls, that happen in 1944

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>