Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1943 Inland M1 Carbine SN:731XXX - Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonzoMad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1943 Inland M1 Carbine SN:731XXX - Questions
    Posted: Mar 08 2020 at 11:00pm
I inherited a 1943 Inland M1 Carbine. It was my grandfathers in WW2. After the completion of his service, he mailed his M1 and 1911 home to his wife. The 1911 .45 was shot by the family many times. The M1 sat in his gun cabinet until his death and no one in the family ever saw him shoot it or even really take it out.

First of all, it is a six digit SN where all of the parts except the recoil plate and the stock are clearly marked Inland. Both the stock and the recoil plate are marked Rock-Ola. Knowing exactly the history of the weapon and what little research I’ve done, I truly don’t believe this weapon was ever altered after the war and it’s trip back to the states. I’ve come to the collectors for answers. I think I’ve done just enough research to know most of what is needed in photos. Please check out the album below:

Please take a look and let me know what you think. I was thinking about keeping the weapon because of its history in my family but the research I have done has lead me to believe it would be better served in the hands of someone that would truly honor its overall history. I got one appraisal at a local gun shop at $500 and another at $1300. One seemed to think it was relative garbage when it came to the collectibility and the other seemed to think it was a pretty rare and a great example.

Thanks for your time!

Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2020 at 11:20pm
It is definitely not worth 500 dollars. It has a dogleg hammer. flip sight, and type 1 barrel band that could be worth that by themselves. Overall, it looks decent but the wood looks beat up. Do you know what the B carved into the stock is for? Sling is also not a carbine sling.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 5:54am
Welcome to the forum.  Great carbine!  Definitely not the $500 estimate.  Stay away from that guy.  First, keep in mind buyers are buying the gun, not the story.  If you have some other provenance that would help.  The hammer spring has 22 coils which suggests it and the other trigger assembly parts are original issue.  As for the stock it may be the original was damaged and it was just a easy swap out.  What is the handguard marked? Also it looks to be a highwood stock but can't tell for sure if its Type I or II.  Maybe post a full length pic of each side? The sling appears to be a Garand web sling.  Maybe a preference, who knows? If you want to really know the details of what you have I suggest completing a Data Sheet.  Once you have that info then you can see how your "apple" compares with similar "apples" and there are plenty of guys on this forum to help you do that.  Looking forward to seeing more.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 6:19am
Looks nice. Yeah, do yourself a favor and don't go back to the dealer who gave the 500 dollar estimate as he was trying to take extreme advantage of you. The other estimate was at least in the general area, most likely plus some. I saw some wear pattern similarities between the stock and handguard, which make me think they could be a matching set. Also, in that particular serial number range, does the receiver have an SG over on the left hand side? Finally, if you don't want to take your carbine any further apart then you already have then don't as it can get a bit trickier in the areas of trigger housing disassembly and reassembly.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 7:47am
Now you know which dealer is a know-nothing or a crook. It's unfortunate to learn that but that is the reality.
Commercial Carbines sell for that much or frequently $100 more than that. So, I'd assume that he knew it was worth hundreds more.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 9:27am
Originally posted by GonzoMad GonzoMad wrote:

I inherited a 1943 Inland M1 Carbine. It was my grandfathers in WW2. I was thinking about keeping the weapon because of its history in my family but the research I have done has lead me to believe it would be better served in the hands of someone that would truly honor its overall history.

That's a great carbine, highly suggest that you think real hard before you get rid of it, once sold it's gone and once it's gone that may be something that you or another family member highly regrets later on down the road. I know that I have a long list of firearms that I traded or sold that I wish I had back!

Edited by W5USMC - Mar 09 2020 at 10:48am
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 10:15am
The shop quoting you $500 bucks would turn around and sell that same Carbine for the $1300 dollar amount.

Unless you really need the money I would keep the Carbine as a memento to your Grandfather. Maybe replace the stock but keep the one with it and maybe have a good smith look it over for a safety check
GonzoMad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonzoMad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 12:43pm
@Why Carbines? Yes, it does have SG in that side. Does that just mean Saginaw made the part?

I can’t prove provenance for the rifle, just what was said it my family. My grandfather had quite an arsenal. When he died, my mother was the executor of the estate. All of the guns were laid out in the living room and then each member of the family got their choice based on age. When it was all done, the 1911, the M1, and a Walther P38 all sent home were the “leftovers” that my mom and myself were happy to take. The 1911 clearly says “Property of the US government” but nothing to prove family lore. I now understand the story of arms being mailed home is common but I only know what I was told.

As for the rifle, I still heavily consider selling it because someone else could cherish it more than I would be able. I’m not even sure how to properly clean it or handle it.

Thanks for all of your time!
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 1:01pm
Yes, some Inland receivers were subcontracted to Saginaw earlier in production. Cleaning a carbine and taking it apart are not terribly difficult. YouTube has some videos and you could purchase one of the manuals and some tools to make it even easier. Do as you wish with it but I would love to have a carbine from my grandpa. Grandma threw out his 1911 a long time ago. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 1:40pm
Personally, if it were mine, I would not disassemble it and just run a oil soaked swab down the barrel and maybe wipe the outside down after you're through with it. Some carbines, with a story like this, just need to be left intact just as they are now. Do as you wish though as stated above.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 4:24pm
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the acquisition though I wish the circumstances by which it were acquired were different.

Dealers usually quote less than half and work up from there if needed. When I go to a show and sell a carbine, I purposely price it higher than what I know it is worth. The reason? I want it to go to a collector, not flipped for a profit. If I get a nibble, it is usually pretty easy to tell the buyers intentions and determine if I want to sell it to them.

You are doing what I would do if I knew nothing or little about a carbine I was thinking about selling.

1) Educating myself
2) Looking for the honest
3) Taking my time (not just selling, but in taking it apart if desired).

There's a saying by the person who used to run the old Carbine Club that has stuck with me since I first heard it. Paraphrasing:

If an M1 Carbine is original, it should end up with someone who will cherish and appreciate it, i.e. an M1 Carbine collector. I'll add to that, research and document it. Even if not original, it should be with a collector who will use it.

I'm in your neck of the woods. If you want an honest evaluation of it without an offer, please let me know as I would be happy to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply