FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

US Navy Carbines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Navy Carbines
    Posted: Dec 01 2020 at 5:35pm
"Under special circumstances we had sent the OP the article when he first inquired."

The least we could do. The man deserves it !!
Better said: Earned it !

Thx
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2020 at 4:56pm
Charlie, That was a thick issue, you are missing out!

The article was another good one by Don Hillhouse.
CCNL 377 also had carbines aboard naval aircraft.
Under special circumstances we had sent the OP the article when he first inquired.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2020 at 4:47pm
Didn't CCNL 384 have a article on Navy usage of the carbine ?

"Carbines ashore and afloat in Navy in WWII (in-depth statistical analysis), "

I have it, but never opened it and don't plan to.
I'll always have the last printed NL in the wrap!

Charlie-P777
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2020 at 9:14pm
M1 Carbines used by UDT's: Underwater Demo Teams 

On 6 June 1944, in the face of great adversity, the NCDUs at Omaha Beach managed to blow eight complete gaps and two partial gaps in the German defenses. The NCDUs suffered 31 killed and 60 wounded, a casualty rate of 52%. Meanwhile, the NCDUs at Utah Beach met less intense enemy fire. They cleared 700 yards of beach in two hours, another 900 yards by the afternoon. Casualties at Utah Beach were significantly lighter with 6 killed and 11 wounded. NCDUs became the Underwater Demolition Teams. UDTs saw action in the Pacific theater (WWII), Korea, and Vietnam. In 1962 UDTs formed the first SEAL Teams.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/NavyCarbine.jpg

They had many missions in the ETO, PTO, China etc. Post WWII in the early 60's known as Seals.

Seabee welcome sign for the Marine Corps on Guam, July 1944

The first sword rgat was surrendered to an American, was ordered to give up the sword because
Gen MacArthur had first Dibs
Link to more of the story and the picture can be magnified below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_Demolition_Team#/media/File:U.S._Navy_Underwater_Demolition_Team_21_lands_in_Tokyo_Bay_on_28_August_1945_(NH_71599).jpg

Charlie-P777   

Edited by New2brass - Nov 30 2020 at 12:09pm
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2020 at 7:44pm
Side note about US arms in the Philippines:

The case of “freed” American weapons

When Japan overran the Philippines, a significant number of American weapons were captured intact. The Japanese captured 27,412 rifles (mostly M1903 Springfields but also some M1917s and a few M1 Garands) along with 68 BARs, 218 machine guns, and 1,161 handguns.
Some of these captured weapons were dispersed to Japanese forces in the East Indies and South Pacific, but by 1943 sea transport had become dangerous and most were retained in reserve in the occupied Philippines. When the empire declared the ‘Second Philippine Republic’, a short-lived puppet regime, it’s mediocre attempt at a collaborator army was armed with ex-American weapons.

When American forces returned in 1944 and 1945, surprising quantities of these guns from 1941 were recaptured. It was decided to treat them as Japanese weapons and they were destroyed.
Less anything of intelligence value, American military policy in the Pacific theatre was to destroy captured Japanese equipment. This policy was adhered to during the 1944 – 1945 liberation and through the immediate postwar period in late 1945.

There was initially grumbling in the Philippines over this, as with only months to go before independence, it was viewed as depriving the new military of a source for free equipment. In retrospect, it probably wouldn’t have mattered as none of the Japanese gear shared ammunition or spare parts commonality with American weapons which would form the core of the Philippines military for decades.

A US Navy officer supervises the destruction of a pile of Arisakas in the Philippines near the end of WWII.

A pile of “freed” American weapons in the Philippines, mostly M1917 rifles, burned by the US Army at the end of WWII.

In 1946, the Philippines army was simply a snapshot of the guns American GIs had carried during WWII: The M2 Browning, M1918 BAR, M1919, M1 Garand, M1903 Springfield, M3 Grease Gun, M1 carbine, and M1911.

While WWII was still in progress, the M1 carbine was one of the weapons the Allies supplied Filipino guerillas with. As American forced returned in 1944 and 1945, guerilla units made contact with advancing American troops and were re-equipped and reorganized as regular fighting units.

Nieves Fernandez was a schoolteacher before WWII. During the occupation, she was credited with killing 200 Japanese troops and was shot once. Eventually she led a guerilla group and was considered an equivalent rank to captain by the US Army. Here she illustrates her wares to an American GI, a M1 carbine and a bolo knife. Fernandez passed away in 1996.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/NavyCarbines3.jpg

An American instructor, with M1 carbine, stands with Filipino guerillas after they were refitted upon making contact with the US Army in 1945. They were armed with M1 carbines and M1A1 tommyguns.

These guns were captured from defeated ISIS forces during the five-month battle of Marawi in 2017. Two WWII guns are present; a M1918 BAR in the center and a M1919A4 second from the right. These guns were destroyed after the battle.

Luis Taruc, the Huk leader, in gym shoes at the center of the photo. Judging by the newspaper headline this was at the start of the Korean War in 1950. The Huks were unique as a communist force armed entirely with WWII American weapons: here, the M1 carbine, M1 Garand rifles, and M1918 BARs.

If interested much more in this link:

FWIW,
Charlie-P777

Edited by New2brass - Nov 30 2020 at 12:26pm
UGOTGUMJOE View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UGOTGUMJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2020 at 1:50am
I own a carbine taken off a PT boat in the South Pacific in the Philippines in 1945 when the U.S. Navy gathered togather all the war weary boats in the combat zone.  Manila Bay ? They were stripped of usable equipment, tied togather in a large group and set afire !  Dozens of boats Burned to the waterline then sunk. 
   The man I purchased the gun from had been walking down a pier in Manila harbor, about to board his ship to sail back to the States, when a sailor in a landing craft tied up to the pier asked him if he wanted a souvenir....” I’ll sell you a Carbine for ten bucks...” he called out.  The LCI was loaded with guns and gear to be discarded in the ocean, so this enterprising swabbie was making a fast buck and preventing good weapons from being wasted.  My sailor paid the asking price and received a nice gun which he kept for the next 50+ years until he walked  into my Army Surplus store looking to sell it. 
   Attached to the stock is a property tag bearing marking indicating ownership to a “MTB Squadron __” along with a rack number !  Once I saw the tag, I asked the fellow a few specific questions about the manner in which he acquired this weapon, as I knew the story of the decommissioning of the PT boat fleet in 1945.   He was totally ignorant of the tag being on the stock and was not asking a huge price for his $10 prize, so I gladly paid his price and thanked him. 
   “ MTB “ is the official U.S. Navy designation MOTOR TORPEDO BOAT abbreviation from the pre-Pearl Harbor days. 

The carbine is locked away in my safe and I am wary of posting photographs of the tag lest the phony fakers decide to ‘get creative’....Sadly I cannot quote a maker or features from my memory as I write this. To lay my hands on it will require 2-3 hours of sorting and searching.  I will find it and amend this posting ASAP.  It IS a personal favorite firearm, and a real piece of History ! 

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2020 at 4:34pm
You can read more about the carbine presented to Charles' father here:

shooter3116 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter3116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2020 at 8:14pm
Thanks. All info helps.
USN WW II
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2020 at 5:37pm
They have been shown to being used on PT boats. There are many photos showing them in use covering japanese prisoners. I believe they were used by submarine landing parties as well.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2020 at 12:41pm
I have an I.R.Co stock that is named to a now deceased navy vet under the buttplate. I may have photos of it somewhere, I will have to see if I can dig them up if it helps any.
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2020 at 8:52am
My dad was in the Navy serving on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific and brought back an M1 carbine.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2020 at 12:23am
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
shooter3116 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter3116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2020 at 7:58pm
New member asking for help.  I served in the Navy in WWII, and encountered a variety of small arms, but never a M1 Carbine. Obviously there was some use in 1945, so does anyone have information about where they were deployed, for what purpose, and how many in WWII?   I know they were ubiquitous in the Korean conflict so I am not asking about that period. Any clues appreciated.
USN WW II
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image