The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel Replacement
    Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 7:45am
I am a pretty good do-it-yourselfer, but rarely (if ever) have the need to replace a carbine barrel. I am confident I can do it, if I had the tools.

Is there any member out there that could swap a barrel for me for a fair price? I can send the action, bolt and replacement barrel. The replacement is a little-used barrel, so head space may not be an issue. 

Just asking?

Feel free to PM me.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 9:01am
I think your best bet would be if a member were close enough to do it in person. If you ship the action it has to go to an FFL01, from what I know.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 9:13am
Maybe so, but I don’t see why it would be any different than sending a gun in to the manufacturer for repair. I have sent guns to S&W and SA for warranty work and recalls. There is no transfer of ownership. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 9:22am
I may have something worked out with a generous forum member, which will not place either of us at risk.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 10:12am
Roger, if all else fails Fulton has the action wrench on sale right now.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/actionwrenchandbarrelblocktoolset.aspx
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 10:44am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Roger, if all else fails Fulton has the action wrench on sale right now.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/actionwrenchandbarrelblocktoolset.aspx

Thanks for the heads-up! The 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 11:00am
First off...a LARGE thank you to the members that offered the use of their tools!

At $73 including shipping, it’s no reason not to have the right tools and by the time we ship back-n-forth and bother each other....it’s a no-brainer.

I just ordered from Fulton.

Thanks again to all!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 12:03pm
Floyd, There is nothing you can do (relatively easy) with the barrel to headspace unless its a new barrel or  a used one that is too tight for your bolt (unlikely). Here you would ream chamber to headspace it.

Basically if your bolt has excessive headspace you would have to have access to other bolts to find one that headspaces.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 2:56pm
I understand all that and have several bolts in my parts stash. Been fooling with Carbines for a while, just never had an occasion to have to/want to change a barrel. My replacement barrel has been on a carbine, but little fired I think. It’s been head-spaced on a GI receiver and I expect to get lucky. 
HCSO249 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2020 at 10:16am
Hey Floyd
I bought a set of barrel tools from fella on ebay couple years ago. Having never changed a barrel before, I steamed ahead full and went all in.  I researched, read and removed my barrel and replaced. Was straight forward and I replaced 2 barrels with sucess.  No headspace issues and both are great shooters.  If you haven't done it yet, dont stress too much.

Neil
Fortune Favors the Foolish
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2020 at 10:38am
Too bad I'm so far away. (Ohio) I've swapped out barrels for myself and several others. (no charge) I've got the proper tools including the barrel vice. Quick and easy operation. Only trick is to make sure the barrel alignment is correct and two straight edges balanced on the barrel flat and receiver take care of that. I've only seen once change-over that needed a different bolt. All of the others headspaced properly.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply