Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

US Marking on Stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Memphis35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Marking on Stock
    Posted: Feb 15 2020 at 10:28pm
Hi All, I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for sharing your experience with someone who is learning!

I have a nice birch M1/M2 carbine stock that is stamped SB-B in the sling well and the original correct cartouche on the right side of the stock.  There is also a rebuild stamp for Rock Island Arsenal on the left side of the stock.  What I don’t understand is the left side of the stock is also stamped with the letters “U S” on the side. Does anyone know what this could be from?
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2020 at 10:44pm
Welcome to CCC! I would think that might be the initials of whomever inspected the rifle. I thought the only ones were FK and EB for Frank Krack and Elmer Bjerke. Pictures would help confirm what it is. Is the US directly under the RIA or elsewhere on the left side of the stock?
Memphis35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Memphis35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2020 at 11:49pm
Thanks!  I was not clear enough.  The RIA rebuild stamp and initials below it  which are (EB) are clearly from the rebuild era.  But separate from this are two stamps in the middle of the stock say “U S”.  I can post pictures when I get back home tomorrow if this helps.  I was just not sure if there was a logical explanation to this since I have not seen such stamps before. 
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2020 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Memphis35 Memphis35 wrote:

Thanks!  I was not clear enough.  The RIA rebuild stamp and initials below it  which are (EB) are clearly from the rebuild era.  But separate from this are two stamps in the middle of the stock say “U S”.  I can post pictures when I get back home tomorrow if this helps.  I was just not sure if there was a logical explanation to this since I have not seen such stamps before. 

Welcome aboard Memphis35 you came to the right place.
Maybe take a closer look at the markings in sling well; perhaps it's not SB-B but SC-B? From your description, it might be a Sprague & Carleton Co. birch stock for IBM. Pictures of the markings will help to identify it and we all like pictures. Is this just a loose stock you acquired or a complete carbine?
Memphis35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Memphis35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2020 at 8:26pm
Memphis35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Memphis35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2020 at 8:28pm
Just postedthe pictures.  The stamp I am not familiar with is the US stamp.  Does anyone seen one of these before and if yes, does it stand for United States?   Thanks for the help!
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2020 at 9:11pm
I would say it’s just someone’s initials or Bubba thought he was adding something to the stock by adding US to it.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2020 at 10:20pm
is that a potbelly stock?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 6:55pm
ok, let's try this.  Sprague Carlton did not make 4 rivit handguards. However some rebuilt handguards were rebuilt.

As to bubba, he added more than just the US.

Of all the markings shown one of them may be legitimate. 

This might be a place to start

Memphis35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Memphis35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 7:45pm
Thanks Guys....very helpful.  I will be returning this to Bubba!  
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 7:51pm
was I correct that it is a pot belly stock?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Of all the markings shown one of them may be legitimate. 

Which marking is that Dan, I was thinking they all look pretty questionable. Maybe someone was testing out a repro stamp set from eBay's bardall?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 8:18pm
Was thinking same. The handguard stamp appeared like an attempt at Milton Bradley not SC. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 8:31pm
I did not commit to memory the RIA figuring none would stamp a rebuild marking. But looking again it seems off. But I did not compare to say for sure.

My mistake on the HG  and markings saying Sprague . But the context is still the same.

I would still love to see a side profile of the stock
Memphis35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Memphis35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 8:59pm
based on the research I tried to do, it seemed the cartouche, Circle P, SC-B in the sling as well as the BR-B on the hand guard would have been original to the stock.  They are consistent a birch Sprague Carlton. The RIA/EB would have been from Rock Island during the rebuild as well as the P stamped on the pistol section.  I have seen these on other rebuild stocks, but the US I have never seen and could find no information on.  Of course, this all assumes these stamps are real and not just fake ones... I believe this is a M2 type 4 stock.  It has the M2 cutout, but I don’t think its the potbelly.  I will post a picture to show everyone.
Memphis35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Memphis35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 9:11pm
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 9:26pm
Is What most call a Potbelly.
Probably has the 4" front barrel channel.
3 holes under the buttplate?

Very Likely made over seas.

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Memphis35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Memphis35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 10:23pm
Yes, has a 4 inch front barrel channel and there are 3 holes under the butt plate which includes the butt plate screw hole.  These were made over seas?  

Everyone has been so helpful....my first post and I am learning...I hope this helps someone else as well some day!
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2020 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Memphis35 Memphis35 wrote:

Thanks Guys....very helpful.  I will be returning this to Bubba!  

Apparently returning this to bubba means putting it on Ebay for 175.00 bucks as it is up for sale now.   Hopefully it was returned and the original bubba put it back up. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2020 at 9:36am
kevree.fysleud is in West Virginia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>