The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello to all new member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnafique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello to all new member
    Posted: Feb 10 2020 at 10:52pm
I should day returning member.   I have two carbines.  The first is a NPM with npm parts and stock.
I also have a most likely reproduction M1a1 stock.  I am going to begin reloading alot of brass that I have accumulated in the past 10 years so its all once used.  Have any of you fired any of the 85 grain extreme devastator ammo?  The shape of the bullet doesn't appear like it would feed well?  Some of the utube stuff show this lighter bullet to have some good expansion characteristics.  My other carbine is a post war Universal that I bought for my wife.  She shoots it well.  Thanks for any info you can give me on  the lighter weight bullets.

Tom
Magnafique
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2020 at 11:50pm
Tom, not sure if this is the ammo that you are talking about but here is a link to an old thread about Underwood Extreme Cavitator ammo. Pretty impressive U-Tube video posted by New2brass in the thread.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/underwoods-extreme-cavitator-in-30-carbine_topic2592_page1.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2020 at 12:00am
I wouldn't go that route, myself.  There are both good factory ammo (Hornady Critical Defense), and several generations of reloading knowledge that might lead a rational person to say that perhaps 110g bullets are not such a bad thing.  

If you can look at the shape of an 85g bullet intended for use in the carbine, and express doubts as to its feeding well by the look, then you are likely right.  
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2020 at 5:31am
I am out of reloading now, but a friend gave me a box of 86-grain Hornady SPRN .308 Mauser projectiles some years ago. I did not retain my load data, but pretty sure the max H110 load was 16.5-grains. They hit the chrono at @2300 fps. Fed, fired and functioned very well. I still have some and maybe I can find more detailed data, which I will post if I do.

EDIT:
I found some. 86-grain soft point round nose, OAL 1.625, 16.5-grains H110.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2020 at 9:13am
Welcome (back) to the club!
Magnafique View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnafique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Welcome (back) to the club!
Magnafique
Magnafique View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnafique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2020 at 11:39am
Thanks, good to be back and shooting my carbines again.
Magnafique
 Post Reply Post Reply