Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal carbine
    Posted: Jan 19 2020 at 4:48pm
I purchased a universal m-1 carbine serial number 402583. I’m trying to find out when it was manufactured by universal? Also is it considered in the time period that the rifle has had considerable problems? Thanks Wombat
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2020 at 5:32pm
Welcome to the forum, have you read the Universal pages in the Commercial Carbine section off of the main club page? see below link.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2020 at 6:02pm
What is published states that around SN 100,000 is the transitional point at which serious changes were made, but I am sure one could find those changes a bit earlier or later. The best Universals are the early ones and you can occasionally see a sub 10,000 carbine dressed in mostly GI parts, including the barrel. Once you go above the 8-10,000 mark, commercial parts start showing up and it gets worse as serial numbers increase. My experience has been that above the mid-teens, things escalate. Your SN indicates late production and will include the revisions that turned the carbine into a replica. 

Wombat View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2020 at 8:43pm
thank you for the responses ! Wombat
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2020 at 9:59pm
Hi and welcome to the Club's forum from New Mexico!

Be sure to read Abe Seiderman's letter in the Part II section of the link noted above. In correspondence I've had with the web pages author, I got the impression that Universal's carbines with SN's higher than 300,000 do not necessarily share the problems that plagued earlier Universal carbines.

JackP
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2020 at 10:31am
I searched "Universal" then searched "cracked" and can't find the thread but there's a heated thread about receivers I think in the 45x,xxx range wherein I posted about seeing 2 cracked identically receivers at one show. I bought one and still own the receiver. Pics were taken of the other and posted on that thread. One cracked rec is an occurrence. Two is a pattern when considering the close range of the serials.

It would be helpful if everyone would remember to check every Universal you see for cracking in this area and capture the serial if you do find one. It's probably also helpful to record nearby serials of ones that aren't cracked.

Here's where to look; right side rail of the receiver. Two cracked Universals.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

I searched "Universal" then searched "cracked" and can't find the thread but there's a heated thread about receivers I think in the 45x,xxx range wherein I posted about seeing 2 cracked identically receivers at one show.

I think I found it?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/cracked-bolts-slides-and-receivers_topic3672_post26896.html?KW=cracked+receivers#26896
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2020 at 11:25am
Excellent. Looks like 415,948 - 416,766 is the receiver range of the two pictured. There's still important data we can accumulate for such a vastly sold Carbine maker.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2020 at 12:10pm
Two Universals at the local show were clean of cracks. Serials were in the 433,000 and 458,000 ranges.
 Post Reply Post Reply