Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unmarked Barrels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unmarked Barrels
    Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 8:39am
Poked around and have not found any recent data on unmarked barrels. I am not talking about commercial barrels with brazed or welded-on gas cylinders. I have an opportunity to pick-up a new barrel with a swaged cylinder, but there is not a mark on it. I’ve read where the possibility is that it could be Bavarian. Were/are there some recent/past unmarked commercial barrels made with swaged-on cylinders?
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 8:06pm
It's possible that an unmarked swaged cylinder barrel may have been made by Erma Werke of Dachau.  Those installed on German guns got marked; those installed later on Austrian guns acquired from Bavaria, were not marked on installation there in Austria.  

On the host site here, in the "oddities" section of the Bavarian section, there is a pic of an Erma Werke barrel.  They are different than others, due to an extra machining contour at the front of the gas cylinder. It sets them apart.  

I have a carbine with one of those barrels that came to CMP from Austria.  It is unmarked.  Its outside muzzle contour is sharper and flatter than a Winchester barrel (can't compare it to another.)
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 7:32am
Thanks for the info Quietus.

The gas cylinder attachment looks exactly like the usual GI cylinder. It does not resemble the Erma style attachment shown in the oddities section of the web pages.

This could be a more recent barrel...does anyone know where Fulton gets their barrels and how they may be marked, if at all?

There have been/are now some "mint" unmarked barrels for sale on epay. I discount this barrel as being commercial due to the cylinder attachment.
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 7:58am
I think that Fulton uses Criterion barrels.  A quick look at C's website didn't tell me anything about markings.  

But if you can check this new barrel, in hand, and assuming it's never been finish reamed:  Criterion says its barrels are made with chambers .010" undersized.  A "Go" gauge might tell you something.  

That check would of course not be definitive as to maker.  You might call Criterion and ask about markings.  After that, maybe search out current barrel makers for M1 carbines.  A couple of names just tossed out not knowing if they make carbine barrels:  Green Mountain (AK barrels for sure), and Wilson Arms (not Combat.) I know Wilson Arms still makes M1 Garand barrels, maybe they make carbine barrels as well.  
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 8:13am
I have a “choice” on a deal I am working on. This barrel is fitted to a receiver, supposedly properly installed and head-spaced. Like I mentioned previously, I have ran across unmarked barrels touted to be Korean/Vietnam era replacements, yet unmarked. Was hoping someone could shed some light on these claims of post-war unmarked barrels. I know SA manufactured barrels, but assume they were all marked.
 Post Reply Post Reply