The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New members from Alabama

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherSonCarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New members from Alabama
    Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 11:19am
Hello all. I purchased an M1 Carbine for my son 7 years ago when he was age 12 for Christmas.  He had no idea we were going to get it for him. I admit I knew nothing about them at all. I had a lot of assistance from my father-in-law for this purchase when he suggested this. When he found this under the tree, he knew exactly what it was, the era it was produced and campaign it was potentially used in. My wife and I were shocked when he knew this. When asked how he knew all of the information, he said he had read about them and learned a lot from the military channel.  This is the type of kid he is. 

He is now 19 and has become more of a gun enthusiast which now has made me much more of one as well.  I grew up in the country shooting but never took to hunting or collecting as an adult. Now we have a common bond of shooting that we like to do together. 

I wanted to share his M1 photos.  He has moved off to college but we shoot it fairly often we we go out to shoot target practice. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 11:43am
Welcome to the forum, nice NPM, love the patch work on the stock's right side.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 12:13pm
I will go ahead and be the smarty-pants that suggest your sling is improperly installed.😁

Yes, very interesting patch around the sling-well. Welcome aboard!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I will go ahead and be the smarty-pants that suggest your sling is improperly installed.😁

Funny floydthecat, I did not even notice that when I looked at his pictures.
I understand they can be really hard to remove once installed incorrectly like his is.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 2:35pm
WelcomeEmbarrassed Nice carbine!Clap People are funny, there is at least two ways to do things. One is always harder than the other. What do some people do, pick the difficult way to do things.Disapprove
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 2:37pm
We all know the carbine will be just fine with the sling installed that way and we have also seen it b4. It looks like maybe a brass-tipped sling from the Vietnam era. Worthy of saving if it is. If it were a cheap repop, I would not hesitate to cut the snap off and remove it, if that’s what it took. I don’t think we can tell that much about how deep the patch is or how secure it might be. I would not monkey with it unless I had too. To me, that well-placed patch in-itself is unique. Bubba certainly did not do that and it’s worthy of saving.....a work of art.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 3:00pm
It could be an original patch. I noticed that a knot in the wood was also drilled out and a dowel installed in the hole. That appears to be original to the stock. Who knows?
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 3:11pm
I noticed that also. What do ya’ll think about the FAT stamp?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 3:58pm
Looks like there are two dowels installed, one below the recoil plate area and one near the FAT stamp.
@floydthecat, the FAT stamp looks like the many other FAT stamps I have seen.

Is this a marking on the receiver bevel?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 4:24pm
I was wondering about the bevel myself, W5USMC.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 5:20pm
Welcome to the forum and nice Fabbrica Armi Terni (FAT) NPM carbine.

The bevel mystery marking deepens.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 5:27pm
Hi and welcome to the Club from New Mexico!

I think the mark on the receiver heel may be part of an upside down "FAT" stamp. What do you think? Usually found on the top of the barrel near the receiver.

JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 6:11pm
Was thinking the same thing JackP. Most of the FAT stamps I have seen on the barrels are missing the star, partially stamped, very light ect..
Also looks like that stock was with a different carbine at one time, you can see the remnants of another serial # under the oiler slot, I have a couple from the CMP with serial #'s in this location.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
FatherSonCarbine View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherSonCarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2020 at 7:58pm
Thank you all. That is one of the reasons of joining is to learn. Here are some other pictures. I do believe it is "FAT" beneath the serial number.  I am also showing another picture of the stock serial number. 
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2020 at 5:58am
Welcome to the forum.  Nice carbine.  I like the FAT on the receiver. Does it also have a corresponding FAT stamp on top of barrel, just forward of the receiver?  If you're interested here's a previous discussion on FAT carbines. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2020 at 7:30am
Good talk on the FAT stamp. Welcome. I haven't owned one marked there before.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2020 at 10:34pm
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy your carbine. You will learn much hanging around this forum. I know that I have. Give us a range report.
 Post Reply Post Reply