The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Korean Surplus .30 Carbine ammo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korean Surplus .30 Carbine ammo
    Posted: Jan 03 2020 at 12:41pm
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2020 at 1:23pm
Looks nice.  Anyone shot it?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2020 at 2:01pm
Bought 5 bandoliers, looks good and it is on the stripper clips with the spoons attached, will shoot some this weekend and let you know how it shoots.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-carbine-ammo/120-round-bandolier-30-cal-m1-carbine-110-grain-fmj-ammo-stripper-clips-kore

Edited by W5USMC - Jan 03 2020 at 7:16pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2020 at 2:10pm
We have 10.5% sales tax here in Arkansas.  With shipping and tax the price goes WAY up.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2020 at 6:07pm
Here in New Mexico, including shipping, insurance and tax it's $417.60. That's about $.39 per round plus you get the clips, bandoliers, loading tool and ammo box. Really not a bad deal.
JackP
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2020 at 8:15pm
Range Report

Fortunately, SE Wisconsin has had warm weather the last few weeks, I had a few days off work, and a can of the Korean surplus from SGAmmo to test drive!

Can received was Lot PS-81K161-468 (1981 vintage). Can in great shape with a bit of dust on it. The can did not have a tight seal, when originally packed several of the bandoleer strap edges were under the seal. However, the ammo inside is very nice. There were some minor corrosion spots here and there, but nothing concerning. Stripper clips have the integrated spoon.

I set up a target @~50 yards from a bench rest. Accuracy was very good and on par with Lake City 71 used for comparison. After the paper targets, I shot at steel range targets ~130 yards. No problem dinging the 6" and 8" targets most of the time. Rifle is a late Inland handstamp I just finished building up from parts, 6/45 barrel with a muzzle <1.

In total, I've shot 180 rounds in several range sessions with no issues. This ammo burns a little bit dirtier than LC, in my opinion, but not bad. I checked fired cases, everything looked good, no interior corrosion spotted. I'm giving it a thumbs up.

KM1 Target

LC71 Target

Example of minor case blemishes

Stripper clips, SM marked

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2020 at 9:47am
Thanks for all the responses. By the way I checked AimSurplus and looks like they have it also. https://aimsurplus.com/korean-surplus-30cal-carbine-110grn-fmj-120rd-bandolier/ Buy 9 bandos for the 1080 can price ($367.20). Shipping to my part of TN was $17.90 and for whatever reason TN isn't on their long list of states they charge sales tax for. That put it at a hair under 0.36/round.  Anyone interested may want to check it out.

UPDATE:  TN has been added to list for including state sales tax.   

Edited by sling00 - Apr 24 2020 at 5:44am
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

This ammo burns a little bit dirtier than LC, in my opinion, but not bad. I checked fired cases, everything looked good, no interior corrosion spotted. I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Agree with GotSnlB28, although I did not really think it was any dirtier than any of the other ammo I shoot. I only shot 50 rounds today, 67 yards at a B29 small silhouette with a 7" oval center, dropped a few out, my aging eyes get blurry trying to focus on the clear tip of the front sight post. I give the ammo a two thumbs up.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

I give the ammo a two thumbs up.
Sounds good.  Thanks for the report.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2020 at 3:45pm
The reason for the "burns a little dirtier than LC" observation was that I noticed more soot on the spent cases of the Korean ammo than on LC. Otherwise seemed the same.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2020 at 12:36pm
Thought it was interesting, as mentioned above I had bought 5 of the separate bandoliers of this Korean surplus ammo. The head stamp on this ammo is (K1 1 80), I also purchased one of the 1080 rd cases, the head stamp on the cased ammo is PSD 85. With the little bit of research I was able to do on the internet it appears that the K1 marked ammo may have been produced by the ROK Army Arsenal in Dongrae prior to the factory being purchased by PMC in 1982.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2020 at 2:43pm
After firing approximately 150 rounds in seven different carbines, I concluded that the Korean surplus ammo head stamped PSD 85 performs about the same as my other go-to lower cost plinking ammo, American Quality. The only problem I noticed is that about one round out of ten would suffer a pierced primer. The primers appear to be unplated brass whereas the American Quality primers look to be nickel plated. This condition results in a noticeable blast of smoke escaping the receiver that is somewhat annoying but not dangerous. There was no noticeable affect on accuracy or function when this occurred.

The picture below shows, from left to right, a Korean surplus case with the normal primer hit, a Korean surplus case with a punctured primer and a typical American Quality fired case.

JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2020 at 3:24pm
Interesting JackP, I will check mine when I shoot next time.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2020 at 6:38pm
Since my first posting I bought another can which is PSD 84. Experienced 6 pierced primers in 110 rounds. Also a handful where there was a very slight back out of the primer.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2020 at 9:30pm
@GotSnlB28, I rechecked all the spent carbine brass I have on hand (over a thousand rounds) and found no evidence of any primer damage other than the Korean surplus. Your pierced primer rate is about the same as mine. Although I said it caused no noticeable effect on accuracy or function, the hot gasses blowing past the firing pin into the bolt can erode the bolt face and cause serious damage to your carbine over time. Having the primer backing out suggests that you may have excessive head space or that the cartridge cases may be undersized. I have not seen this on any of my fired cases. You may want to check your head space.

Has anyone else noticed this?
JackP
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2020 at 9:55pm
@jackp - yes I dont like the situation with the pierced primers [or primer backout] and hadn't seen any in the 81 batch after shooting around 3 bandoleers worth. I have never seen it with Lake City or commercial. I do collect all my brass and as part of that I always check for abnormalities. On the headspace, I have a full set of gauges and check every rifle I buy or build. After I saw the primer backout on those few I checked it again and headspace is perfect on that rifle... It is a very slight back out, attached a picture.

PS84 https://imgur.com/a/EMVAQaL
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2020 at 10:14pm
@jackp, After I read your post I dug through my bucket of brass looking for some spent Korean stuff, seems that the only Korean ammo I have shot so far is head stamped K1 1 80 and it all looked good, no punctured or backed out primers. Will shoot some of the PSD 85 I have this week and see what happens. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2020 at 9:11am
Gorsnlb28 I think, do you have access to a chronograph? Can you weigh the fired brass please? 
It looks like extreme pressure and maybe brass variations.
David Milisock
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2020 at 12:18pm
Another thing to look for on a carbine with a pierced primer problem is a vertical line of carbon on the hammer face. I didn't notice this until after my last range session when I finally got around to stripping it down for cleaning.   I'll try to remember to take a picture next time.
JackP
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2020 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

Gorsnlb28 I think, do you have access to a chronograph? Can you weigh the fired brass please? 
It looks like extreme pressure and maybe brass variations.

Unfortunately I don't have a chronograph or scale. I do know the ammo was consistently accurate same as my can of 81.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>