Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Harrington & Richardson Stocks SR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harrington & Richardson Stocks SR
    Posted: Dec 16 2019 at 9:50pm
Saw these Harrington & Richardson M2 stocks on ebay the other day from a well known seller. What I thought was really neat was the box and label on the stock butt showing the part number and contract. I wasn't aware H&R had a stock contract in the 60s.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2019 at 10:31pm
Thx,
Interesting find.
Curious as to learning more about them.......

Thumbs Up
Living Free because of those that serve.....
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2019 at 10:34am
Auction link please.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2019 at 11:21am
Good Reporting
It's an interesting find, I do not think this was ever reported to the club.

Few observations, The stock tag is later than the box date.
why is there no finish?
2 stocks on the right appear to be different wood than those on the left, though may be how the wood was cut.
The buttplate appears to be a typical Inland/SG dot missing at 5 O'clock 

In 1960 I do not think the US had their eyes on any impending conflicts or wars. (please correct me if I missed something)

The US was not involved with Vietnam till 1964 until Johnson sought a reason to get involved.

Maybe these were foreign contract or support items for the MAP program?
Seller states they came into Norway in the 50's and 60's for mutual defense. 

Shady, If you get one please let us know

EDIT to add
CCNL 310 and 348 discuss the Overton made replacement stocks.
Seems they made stocks fro Inland as late as 1947 and then replacement stocks for RIA as late as 1971.
the latter newsletter shows the stocks and the box with a 10/70 date. They included the hand guard.
the DA number is different. The box did not say "carbine"  nor the B028 suffix to the part number which seems odd, but may be due to different nomenclature requirements of the time.

Edited by New2brass - Dec 17 2019 at 12:23pm
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2019 at 1:45pm
Dan,
These were/are offered by The Norway Guy.....

Another below that I believe is the same as those in Denmark. This seller says it came out of Norway and were part of the 1948 Marshall Aide Plan:

Wondering if Recoil plates are Cast ?

Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2019 at 2:14pm
Norway was part of the MAP. We see they got carbines under that program from 1951-1963 which this boxs fits into.

Since the 80s parts have been reported coming back from Norway. There was an article we did on Rockola barrels new in the crate.

Evidently there are vast quantities of parts throughout Europe and beyond.

The recoil plate I would expect to see the thin tang. For the price of the stocks and shipping I cannot justify finding out. So if anyone does have to have one I would hope they share that information.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2019 at 7:39pm
@CP thx for adding the link

I didn't purchase any of them. I agree the two on the right with labels look different. Might be possible there were several boxes that were mixed once opened? The condition of the cardboard box is excellent, wherever it was stored. I think it has to be legit though. I also would have thought they should have a finish, even if dried out a bit.

I captured all the auction pictures, just posted a few, I can upload the rest if seen as worthwhile.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2019 at 2:58pm
Some countries used finishes other than RLO or Tung Oil. Best guess is that they were shipped unfinished for this very reason. 
 Post Reply Post Reply