Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please help with a carbine purchase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 8:25am
IBM rear sight? Like, an IN B flip sight?
What serial range it is would determine if it's a flip era receiver and Inland did use flips from other makers for a time. Also keep in mind that IN B is the most faked flip sold on ebay. If the pin is flat on the ends it sounds like that version. If they're rounded, perhaps not.
Marlin barrel has a punch mark on top or not? Is there a P also?
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
mdr1953 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdr1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 1:45pm
no sir, not a flip sight. i was going by the marking per uscabinecal30. the serial # is 674372 and here is a link to pictures https://photos.app.goo.gl/VMYbTsTWex1iEPC57
i could not figure out how to remove the oiler so not sure if there are any markings. 

mdr
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 2:36pm
Inland stock
Inland bolt
IBM slide
Winchester trigger housing
Barrel looks like originally was on an National Postal Meter
Barrel Band looks cut down from type 3 to type 2
Hemphill type 2 rear sight
RIA? Front sight
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by mdr1953 mdr1953 wrote:

i was going by the marking per uscabinecal30.  

Welcome to the forums, I believe you you are referring to a different site. We are on www.uscarbincal30.com
If you click the top picture of the carbine you will be brought to our main pages. On the menu there is a link to parts. 
The receiver page is under construction and that is where we would show the variations of parts. However on the main pages we stay away from what part goes where due to all the variations and time frames.
We do have what is what published in our newsletters. You will see references to CCNL on this site which means Carbine Club Newsletters.

The other site has "M1" in their name. We do not because we are into all carbine variants such as the M1a1, M2, M3, T3, M1a3, M1e1, M1E7, T4 etc.

The problem with that site is it appears to be a direct copy of an earlier edition of US M1 Carbines Wartime Production by Riesch along with items that may have been thought to be correct at the time of printing or just errors.

Your rear sight is marked with an H in a shield. This was made by Hemphill Co. in Pawtucket R.I. This was made for Winchester as well as replacements.  They also made the adjustable rear sight for Inland and marked them H.I.

The adjustable rear sight was approved circa April 1944. This is also when all carbine contracts were cancelled except for Inland and Winchester.
we do however see some adjustable rear sights on some very late I.B.M. carbines. What I do not see is a contract between Hemphill and I.B.M.

Those rear sights were most likely "Transfers" from other manufacturers in the mad rush to get as many carbines completed and accepted before the contract cancellation.

Most carbines went through a rebuild several times. During the rebuild the latest and greatest parts were supposed to be swapped out, The adjustable rear sight being one of them.

Rear sights were also swapped out in the field. It seems the earliest we have determined so far that this took place was possibly Dec 1944 to February 1945. For those interested please see the followint link as well as links and newsletter references.

Looks like a very nice shooter carbine. I am sure some will be asking about your barrel band.
Some info can be found here

Please note there is also information about modified "Type 3" barrel bands on that page as well.

As always these forums are a great resource for what I am sure is many questions you will have.

Best, Dan

Edit to add:
@JT the front sight is marked with an N (Niedner) 
@ MDR, your serial appears to be a 6 digit in the 1943 range, not 1945. It would have had an Inland barrel from early fall of 1943
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 4:04pm
Thanks Dan, I couldn’t tell. It was milled so I questioned RIA but could not read it.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 6:49pm
Yes, looks like a good condition shooter for certain. Are there marks on the magazine catch. It's the little things like that which makes some us interested in Carbines. Does the band have an markings on it at all? Even very light ones. My monitor doesn't show any.
mdr1953 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdr1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 7:01pm
i will check the band again but not sure. i never actually removed the magazine catch. i'll have to watch some more youtube's before i attempt to take all of that apart. thank you
mdr
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 8:29pm
The mag catch would have letters on the face so you can leave it in place. Sometimes the push safeties have letters internally though.
mdr1953 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdr1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 9:48pm
magazine release, you were correct it did have letters. i missed it in the earlier photographs

mdr
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 9:52pm
Nice! That’s a Rock-Ola mag catch.
mdr1953 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdr1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 9:55pm
good lord, this thing has more manufacturers than my hips & knees. just a hard $1k lesson...
mdr
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 10:00pm
If you wanted Inland parts for your carbine you could easily trade many of the ones on your carbine for them. Many people like doing that but I generally keep mine as found unless something actually needs replaced. I don’t think I have any Rock-Ola parts on any of my carbines. Would be happy to have that on one of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12