FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Canvas pad for sling?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canvas pad for sling?
    Posted: Nov 08 2019 at 5:12pm
I'd believe any enterprising GI that had any type strap digging in to his shoulder would quickly grab one of these when stumbled on and 'Improvise'.
Just read they were also used for the harness straps from a parachute.
We'll just have to keep an eye out for a picture with one being used...... for a Garand or Carbine in our case.

I believe I seen similar/same strap pads used on a litter in a movie a few weeks back.

Eyes open Stern Smile

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2019 at 5:04pm
painter777, wow, more helpful links and info. Great reading, too. I was hoping it was for my Garand (I have a 1943 Winchester M1D rig) and makes more sense given the added weight of that rifle fully outfitted. Thank you, sir!

But, I have a lingering question. I have yet to see any reference to it in the Canfield's Garand book. Canfield lists all the accessories quite well. Yes, I know that is not a question for this forum.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2019 at 4:45pm
Numrich has them listed as NOS WWII for the M1 Garand:

Kroehler became the biggest furniture company in the world. 1942 all work went towards military production. Among countless items, their upholsters were now making all kinds of fabric items, to include gun cases, straps, gun shoulder pads, rucksacks.. etc you name it.
This link below gives a company history and lists items built during war time at their different plants.
Pretty interesting:

CH-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2019 at 4:37pm
Bingo!

I think you are correct. The vendor claimed they were USGI, and at $5.00, I thought I'd take a chance with one. That link you sent indicates that they are USGI and that they were used in a variety of applications including sling pads. But I haven't seen anything mentioned in the reference books regarding sling use, in my limited searched. They were most probably used for backpacks and such.

Thank you.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2019 at 3:24pm
Reminds me of a pad more used for a pack or rucksack.
Here is a link to a reproduction set.
https://www.armynavysales.com/wwii-suspender-backpack-shoulder-strap-pad-set-st1945-576.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2019 at 12:26pm
At a local gun show recently I acquired this canvas pad that appears to be meant for use on a rifle sling. That is, I guess. As a novice Garand and carbine owner I have never seen this item before and haven’t seen it in my Canfield rifle or Ruth carbine reference books. It appears unissued, smells and looks like 60+ y.o. stored USGI canvas.

What’s the story on this piece of canvas? Is it USGI or repop? For what rifle/carbine?

Post Reply Post Reply