Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Info. on early Inland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info. on early Inland
    Posted: Oct 31 2019 at 7:16pm
I have a chance to get a very early Inland Carbine. Ser# 16046X  bbl date 2-42. It has been through the rebuild at some point but looks pretty good in the pictures. I have not seen the gun in person so can't send any picts' I have not seen one that early and was wondering if that early would be good to get and value might be more than a 43-44-or 45 rebuild.
 Thanks for any info,
  Smoky
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2019 at 8:06pm
Most everything has to do with condition. If it was not rebuilt it may have had harder to find parts such as type 1 band, flip sight, and dogleg hammer. It most likely will have these parts replaced.It could be more desirable for someone just looking for plug in carbine or early barrel, but not necessarily. A carbine in great shape will be looked on more favorably than a beat up one slightly older in most cases. Good luck and hope it’s to your liking and we get to see it!
jim77cg View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim77cg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2019 at 9:53pm
Are you sure of that barrel date, sounds a wee bit early!
Jim
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2019 at 10:14pm
Just looked again and it is a Inland bbl 2-42. Also trigger group is inland, Bolt is SG. and op rod is Underwood. Stock is M2.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2019 at 11:31pm
the first dated inland barrel is I believe dated 5-42
More than likely a 12-42, but please post pictures, ya never know!
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2019 at 2:33pm
12-42 would be more consistent with the serial number. My early Inland is a 26,6xx serial number and has a 7-42 barrel date.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2019 at 3:12pm
You are probably right. I don't have the Carbine in my hand to look, only a picture. I have not come across one that early in the past.
   Thanks for all your help.
  Smoky
 Post Reply Post Reply