Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

barrel markingd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enforcer233 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: barrel markingd
    Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 8:47pm
I have been talking with a guy who has an Underwood carbine in the 2,000,000 serial number range. He advised it is a Century Arms imported rifle. When I asked about the barrel he advised that it was only marked with the Century Arms stamping and that he can not find anything else on the barrel but a P stamp. 

My first question is about the value because of the import marks and the second is about the barrel. Could the barrel be a Herlo? He said the barrel looks like it is chrome lined.  Also the pics he sent the stock does not appear to be original and has no car-touche marks

Thanks
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 9:18pm
A Herlo barrel should be marked as such on the barrel flat. Page down on the link below. Also don't believe that a Herlo barrel would be found with a "P". Sometimes barrel markings are very lightly stamped or hard to see if it has been re-parked.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/barrels.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
enforcer233 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enforcer233 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 9:41pm
Thanks Wayne. I had read the page about barrel markings and asked him to look there. He said he did not see anything. The finish appears to have been re-done and is black. I told him that I was not sure about the value of a re-worked import, especially for what he was asking. I think that I am going to pass and wait for another gun.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 11:31pm
The Herlo I have is very easy to spot in a pile of barrels by looking at the muzzle. It's flat and shiny. Very obviously not a USGI piece.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2019 at 6:51pm
Herlo barrels are marked on the flat
5557154HC is the non-chromed barrel
8448416HC is the chromed barrel
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 10:03am
I have seen barrels that spent time in the jungle. Due to moisture they have been cleaned so much that the finish and marking have been essentially polished off over time.

I believe Herlo barrels we sold to foreign countries and found on imported carbines. 

Pictures would help solve the mystery.

Is the gas chamber integral or swagged on? If swagged compare to the green mountain barrels on the barrels page
Is the barrel polished, smooth or rough turned?

Remove the slide and check the flat and sides for any markings.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 10:25am
Just look up the Saginaw S'G' that ncin1911 posted a couple months ago which shows how Century in Florida polished all the markings off of his Saginaw barrel for an example of what could've also happened.

Here is a Herlo I received on an Inland import.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply