Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland with sn of X G 9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland with sn of X G 9
    Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 2:52pm
OK....i have to ask....saw this and was "perplexed" as to the reason for X G 9 as the serial number....it is a nice clean rifle though....
al

"This is a incredible condition Inland Carbine! My understanding of this carbine is that this is a prototype of the production carbines that were to be produced for the invasion of the Japanese home islands hence the "XG9"- Experimental Government Style 9"

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 7:41pm

It is a Presentation gun. Some are worth more than others and some may have issues so know what you are looking at before buying. If you have interest in it PM me and I can fill you in better.

Thank you for sharing it, the club is looking records of any presentation carbines or any special carbines. 10 points added for reporting.

Edited by New2brass - Oct 11 2019 at 6:26pm
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 10:35pm
Presentation X Series Carbines

Approx: X series serial numbers:
X1 - X100
XA1 - XA100
XB1 - XB100* (possible plus 1)
XC1 - XC100
XD1 - XD100
XE1 - XE100
XF1 - XF100
XG1 - XG100

Ruth's WarBaby, page 359 states that the 400 Carbines in XC thru XG were not charged to the Gov as these were all presented to various Inland and other General Motors employees, subs, suppliers, military personnel and other Gov officials in appreciation of their contributions to Inland's War effort.

NOTE: 
(Might be a Typo here because I count 500 Carbines between XC-XG).

On another Forum there was a sighting report, but no follow up of:

3-8-15
"Spotted XG 15 at the Fletcher N. Carolina today. In unfired condition. It is an M2."

Also in that same post the OP was asking for information about Inland XC 43 which was presented to the OP's GrandFather.
It was verified it was presented to his GrandFather, who was a purchasing agent for Delco-Remy, a GM subsidiary:
J T  Delancey, Anderson, Ind. 9-29-44. 

Link If Interested:

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 10:45pm
That is surely a minty presentation Inland. Great find! I noticed there is a cross cannons acceptance stamp on the right side of the stock. I was of the understanding that presentation guns didn't have such stamps because they were never accepted by the government?
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 10:53pm
Wouldn’t a legit presentation carbine not have an ordinance cross cannons acceptance stamp?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

I noticed there is a cross cannons acceptance stamp on the right side of the stock. I was of the understanding that presentation guns didn't have such stamps because they were never accepted by the government?

I also was under that impression.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 11:33pm
Agree all,

Would the Gov accept/stamp the stock on a carbine it wasn't receiving?
One it wasn't being charged $ for ?
One with Chromed or High Polished Blue finish..... Not being to Mil Spec Finish.

SEE:
Standard Products EX. 29

CH-P777

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 11:40pm
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 9:29am
I suspect the ordnance stamp is just one of the problems with it. Does the front sight look like it's been off to anyone else? It could be a scratch from about anything though.

It's a fantastic background story, that being special M1 carbines made for the invasion of Japan. Somewhere somehow some pigs must be getting ready for takeoff!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

I suspect the ordnance stamp is just one of the problems with it. Does the front sight look like it's been off to anyone else? It could be a scratch from about anything though.

It's a fantastic background story, that being special M1 carbines made for the invasion of Japan. Somewhere somehow some pigs must be getting ready for takeoff!

Are you referring to picture 10? If so I think it's in the photo and not a scratch, as the line continues down the barrel when the picture is enlarged. It does appear the pin staking may be disturbed.

For sure, the story is bogus... How does it go, buy the rifle, not the story :)
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 1:29pm
The later Inland presentations they scrounged for parts. 
Some used rejected parts that had issues or reworked.

My concern is not the front pin staking, considering the mint condition

As for the story, Sellers sometimes have little knowledge and parrot what they are told. Sometimes this info comes from old internet posts or auctions. It is an endless cycle.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 1:35pm
Right, the thing at the top of my mind would be receiver ring, if I were purchasing it. It does not strike me as a put together rifle.
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 4:25pm
Even if the acceptance stamp was somehow original to the carbine, which seems unlikely, it certainly creates suspicion as to it's originality.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 4:28pm
Sure would be nice to get a look at the receiver ring. Stock has happy switch cutout.
wmmwraghd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmmwraghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 4:39pm
does not pass the smell test IMHO.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 9:21pm
I see it sold. Some people believe all of the stories, but there is some good points about it too. My guess is that it will never see the light of day again, but I could always be wrong there.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 11:34pm
Anyone recall the asking price of XG 9 ?

I messed up linking in the other X models.....
Sorry for any confusion.
Intent was for comparison, but that didn't seem to go so swell.
Just cluttered up the post.

CH-P777
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2019 at 11:59pm
@Charlie
Asking price was $6000
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2019 at 1:29am
A little birdy told me it did not sell, it is no longer for sale.
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2019 at 2:52am
Maybe an M2? Doesn’t show the full receiver ring. Stock has the cutout and ad says is filled with M2 style parts.

Edited by Jt22453 - Oct 11 2019 at 4:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>