Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRA flat bolt use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kar6666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WRA flat bolt use?
    Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 2:24pm
Today I found a WRA carbine at a gunshow ser. no. 5753--- it looked all original except it was in a IO marked stock. The finish looked original and every thing looked correct except it had a W marked flat bolt. I don't have my CC newsletters handy and I don't remember how late Winchester used flat bolts.
Can anybody tell me if it could be correct with the flat bolt?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 2:52pm
CCNL 237-6 says The flat bolt was in use to 5703075, the first round bolt was reported at 5705xxx. A mix of flat and round were reported between 5720xxx-5729xxx. The round bolt predominates from 5750xxx to end of block.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
kar6666 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kar6666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 3:11pm
Thank you very much. It looks like it should be round, but a flat may be correct. I won't be changing it I like flat bolts better anyway. Thanks again.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 9:34pm
EDIT: as far as originality....

...how do you feel about this one, guys (with round bolt)? 5.695 that looks pretty crisp. Has a round bolt and IRco rear sight. I got sight pics and there's no flip staking that I saw.
Type V housing.

Edited by tenOCEE - Sep 29 2019 at 1:48pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 12:08pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 1:04pm
The more I look the more T3’s I find on later production guns bearing no flip stake-marks. I recently acquired 6.08 ROCK wearing a T3 staked on the front right corner only and no staking tracks anywhere else and the finishes match.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 1:40pm
Not with Rockola. Count on it being added later. Win used adjustables, which everyone knows.

The above pics aren't for proof of adjustable usage, but that IRco marked one specifically. It's also to present the Carbine asking about the round bolt due to the matching condition of all the parts including the bolt even though it's 5.695 and not 5705xxx as stated above where it was observed first used. Check the GB link for other pics.

Someone much more knowledgeable than me on Rockola says he's never seen an original one with absolute proof other than a flip sight originally. Recently on another sight one was posted claiming it's not flip staked and it's quite obviously flip staked though very lightly in the way Rockola staked them, which is a unique manner that they staked. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 2:34pm

“Someone much more knowledgeable than me on Rockola says he's never seen an original one with absolute proof other than a flip sight originally. Recently on another sight one was posted claiming it's not flip staked and it's quite obviously flip staked though very lightly in the way Rockola staked them, which is a unique manner that they staked.”

Light flip-staking on a Rock-Ola may very well be the reason they cannot be easily detected. Under certain light, I can detect a very faint divot, which I guess we can assume to be a very light strike.
 Post Reply Post Reply