Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct parts to complete a IP barreled receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct parts to complete a IP barreled receiver
    Posted: Sep 20 2019 at 10:19pm
A friend and I recently purchased two Irwin Pedersen carbines - serial numbers 1775xxx and 1788xxx.  Neither is a correct or original rifle and one of them, 1775xxx is little more than a barreled receiver - it is missing the complete trigger group, bolt, slide, etc.  Parts from which manufacturer would be correct to complete this rifle - IP or S'G'?  What about Inland?  This is based on the reference in "War Baby" that indicates that Inland provided stocks, trigger housings, triggers, operating slides, and firing pins in February, 1943?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim  
Jim B.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2019 at 10:25am
Any parts would be correct for a carbine that has been arsenalized or import marked*.

However if you are looking to correct it comes down to the barrel dates. More IP parts on a 4-43 and 6-43 and after there would be more S'G' parts showing up.

As to the parts such as Inland you would have to again used the barrel date and compare to the known transfer dates. Items such as a correct Inland stock would have the correct IP/S'G' CC
Parts that were transferred should have been marked accordingly. However, offhand I cannot think of any parts reported as such from IP/S'G'.

This can quickly become a quite expensive venture. Is it going to cost more that what it would be to buy a corrected one?

I would first consider the finish condition of the barreled receivers. Have they been refinished, is the barrel original to the receiver, is there a correct P proof on barrel, etc.

I am guessing that I do not have to get into the high number of reproduction parts to watch out for.

Hope that helps Smile
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2019 at 1:56pm
Amen.

After hanging around here for a couple of years, I still only consider myself a step above a novice...maybe an apprentice. IP would surely be the hardest carbine to “get correct”. The take-over by SG and the common practice of parts-swapping among the primes and the fact that so few were ever actually completed by IP seems to me to make it an almost impossible task and most certainly an expensive one. It’s always going to be a rebuild no matter how you build it.

When I come across a special barreled action for a good price, I find what parts I can at reasonable prices and build the rest of it out with good genuine USGI parts and cherish it.
JRBrid View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2019 at 5:01pm
Thanks to both of you for your input.  This is going to be a tough decision --- both rifles have Underwood barrels dated 1-43.  From the research I've done, these would appear to original/correct barrels.  Again, the limited research I've done shows that these rifles are in serial number range of the guns SG submitted for acceptance testing in April and May of 1943.  This would imply that most of the parts need to be IP marked, and that is going to very expensive, if we can find them at all.  

Thanks again for your input.

Jim 
Jim B.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2019 at 9:31am
Almost all IPs in original appearing form are corrections (usually obvious ones), so it's not unexpected to see them corrected. I've corrected  them. Also, I've been collecting serials of IPs and would like to add yours to my records if you would share them with me?

That goes for anyone who has an IP serial number to share with me. And I might have some info about one already that I could share with the interested party.
JRBrid View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2019 at 11:44am
Serial numbers sent via PM.  Let me know if you need additional information.

Jim 
Jim B.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2019 at 12:50pm
Got em. Thank you. When I find one posted its the barrel date and maker, import marks, whether it's a mixer, orig appearing or corrected, any parts markings, fake appearing parts, overall condition, asking or sold price and I try to note a date and location found/sold, etc..
JRBrid View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2019 at 1:33pm
Correction to the barrel dates:  barrel on 1788xxx is 6-43, not 1-43 and is Blue Sky import marked.  barrel on 1775xxx is 1-43, as previously mentioned, and not import marked.

Again, thanks to all for there input.

Jim 
Jim B.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 11:09am
While going through my stuff for evaluation I got reminded of 2 issues from parted out S'G' Carbines that look like near crime scenes to me today. I like anything Grand Rapids and I bought a bare receiver about 4 yrs ago to build. It's one of the nicest condition receivers you could find and you can only assume where all the parts went. Not long after I ended up with a perfect condition sight that someone won off ebay (discussed in depth on one of our sites) which I installed on that receiver but the project has since stalled the sight was installed. Finding high quality condition parts is expensive.

Later on I bought a decent condition S'G' Carbine action that the rear sight had been taken off of. For a while I forgot where it came from, but do sorta recall now. I'm not totally positive about it's originality but it looks like this may have been a Carbine the original sight was dragged off of. Back then I was glad to save it and own. Today it just reminds me of what once was.

Save the Primes from a similar fate.
englishcar View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2020 at 11:44pm
Hi, just saw your post. I just bought an IP. Serial number 1785471. If you have any info to help this newbie, would be greatly appreciated. Tom. tom@tomalleninsurance.com
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2020 at 10:02am
Hello and welcome to the club. Could be a separate thread, but is the stock marked? If so, what markings do you see?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2020 at 10:10am
Originally posted by englishcar englishcar wrote:

Hi, just saw your post. I just bought an IP. Serial number 1785471. If you have any info to help this newbie, would be greatly appreciated. Tom. tom@tomalleninsurance.com

It's an IR war time replacement stock. I'll add your info to the thread I started about IP serials ranges.

Edited by tenOCEE - Jan 20 2020 at 10:43am
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
TwoGunChuck View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TwoGunChuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2020 at 8:00am
tenOCEE, I just sent you a PM with IP and S'G' serial numbers and details for two carbines I have.
 Post Reply Post Reply