Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

75th year Market Garden celebration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75th year Market Garden celebration
    Posted: Sep 19 2019 at 5:47am
Last Tuesday 17th september I took the old lady to the range to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Market Garden operation in the south of Holland. Many things are happening in my area to celebrate it. The 6th Welch Fusiliers were up against the German Fallschirmjaeger 6th division. The street fighting was extermely intense and some people call it "little Stalingrad". Yesterday I received a few pages of the book "Lions of Cartentan - Fallschirmjaeger Regiment 6" describing how the fighting was like by a German Fallschirmjaeger. While reading it, it felt as if you were really there with him, because I know the locations and places he described.......and then the real horror was of course much intense than what is just what you read, because you don't have the smell, the noise......the wounded lying around everywhere. He also describes a moment that he spots a British truck loading wounded while holding his Panzerfaust.......normally with a tank he wouldn't have a problem with it, but now, he just couldn't fire because he felt that was a wrong thing to do because he saw the faces of those men and got blocked.........and then a fellow senior Fallschirmjaeger taps him on the shoulder and tells him: "Yeah Albert, war is sh*t".
If somebody is interesed in reading those few excellent pages of this book, send me an email address and I'll send it to you.
Here's also an excellent site of a befriended collector/researcher that made a nice site on it.

Shot 195 out of a possible score of 200. That's a normal average score for me, and still about 5 points above the scores of the competition, so things look good again for winning the club-.30M1 cup this year again.

Love my 1943 I.B.M. carbine. It shoots excellent with 13.3grs N110 behind PRVI 110grs FMJ bullets. 

Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2019 at 7:28am
Nice carbine and nice shooting score. Thanks for your fascinating Operation Market Garden story and information. That event must be very special for folks in your region. We are all reminded that War has a tendency to bring out the best and unfortunately the worst in people.
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2019 at 7:53am
Yeah it is. Many elder people in our neighborhood, that currently still live to tell about it, all tell very horrible stories and we try to interview as many elder people as possible, in 25 years time, they will all be passed away and then it is too late.

I read a lot of first hand war-time experiences in books, but reading this that happened in a town near you, gives you the shivers because then things get very close and personal.

Last weekend a column of hundreds of WW2 vehicles rode from Leopoldsburg Belgium to Nijmegen. They camp there now and coming weekend they will go together to Arnhem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdhVBpuy40M (sometime you see an re-enactor with a .30M1 coming by.
Here the official site of the people participating with vehicles in the tour https://omg2019.nl/en/vehicles/

I'm also a Dutch radio-amateur and many radio amateur stations make contacts in honour of this event. Here is one situated near Grave (Nijmegen) https://www.qrzcq.com/call/PH75MG

Here a news report on the German bombing of Eindhoven, the night after the liberation, where 200 people died and 800 got injured. Many trucks full of ammunition were bombed by the Germans.

Yes, lots of special events here in the area where I live, the men that fought bravely for our freedom, will not be forgotten, as well as the equipment that they used. We will take good care of it and pass it on to the next generation. 
As an owner of a .30M1 carbine, you must consider yourself as a curator of a museum, that has to conserve it, research it and pass it on to the next generation.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2019 at 7:58am
And here more beautiful equipment to see, when it was still in the Belgian camp near Leopoldsburg, the place from where operation Market Garden started (the garden part) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YodfzKfQTo
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2019 at 8:49am
Major Edwin "Ted" hunt flies with a Spitfire on 18th september (incl. looping at the end)

Para drop near Groesbeek on 18th september (Nijmegen) where the 82nd Airborne landed with general Gavin
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2019 at 7:38am
Here a nice movie shot by a guy while riding on his historic motorbike through basecamp near Schijndel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afQ1dbJuNrE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2FAIaQ6nSV2hK6BXDmD4R_9nCO26JhpDrzfy61gvrmXCuFgitoUBHSI50
 Post Reply Post Reply