Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Some Advice on a Recent Purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibby65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Some Advice on a Recent Purchase
    Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 11:40am
Greetings All,

I need some advice on a purchase that I made on Gunbroker recently. I purchased what was advertised as a non-import Quality Hardware carbine. It had an Underwood barrel and replacement M-2 walnut stock, adjustable rear sight and bayonet lug. Also came with a 30 rd. magazine. I won with a bid of $830.00 plus $30.00 shipping. I stuck it in my safe until I could get it checked out by a gunsmith. Had it checked out and found that it was mostly Saginaw internals with an Inland trigger group. ME was 2.5. Headspaced OK. Finally took it to the range last weekend and shot it. Fairly accurate and shot fine. As I was cleaning it, I felt a rough spot on the bottom of the barrel in front of the barrel band. Looked close and found the dreaded words "ARL ORD ARLINGTON VA".
I was upset by the discovery. I sent an e-mail to the seller detailing my finding. The seller, who had been great to deal with to this point, offered to send a return label and then upon receiving the gun, refund my money. This is where things go south. I replied to the email with a counter offer. I said that since I had already invested another $50 dollars to have the rifle inspected by a gunsmith, how about refunding just $115.00 of my purchase price. This left a sale price of $715.00 plus the $30.00 shipping that I paid. A fair price, I thought,  for a gun that I never would have bid on in the first place. Well, the seller was bent by that. The e-mail that I got back basically said return the gun for a refund or keep it for what you paid. I think they thought maybe I was trying to run a scam. The problem is, Arlington Ordnance supplied the guns for Rose's that sold for around $175.00, as I recall.
So, what should I do? Keep it or return it. The gun shoots OK, but is not a collector. It has the ARL ORD taint. I would still want another Q.H.M.C. if I was going to really build a collection.
I welcome any advice from the more experienced members.

Thanks
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 11:54am
Funny I brought home an IBM years ago that I even looked over very close before I bought it, only to find the very small and light ARL ORD stamp on the barrel when I got home, I was pissed, but it was a lesson learned. In your case you have a mixed part carbine so not a collector anyway, in my area $830 is not overly high for an Import. I would keep it. As far as the seller, you have to wonder if he even knew about the import mark, especially if he advertised it as non-import marked. Regardless, don't think I would be giving him an A on the feedback.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 12:03pm
If you are unhappy and the seller will take it back. Some only give a 3 day inspection.

What it sold for back in the day is not something to dwell on. It seems that the price you paid is not out of line for an import these days. Then there is the worth of the sum of the parts. some SG parts are sought after.

I know some frown on import marks. Many ask "If this carbine could talk", well an import mark does talk, in many cases it can be traced to where it was imported, so you have an idea the last place it served.

Just my .02 cents
gibby65 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibby65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 12:06pm
Seller did not know of import mark, of that I am sure. Seller is a dealer, however, and I would have thought that they would have checked. They bought it from a seller that they trusted who represented that it was a non-import. I found it by accident myself.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 12:29pm
Arlington Ord import marks rank among the least conspicuous and most look like a scratch. The price you paid isn't out of line even for an import, but if it bothers you return it there are plenty of carbines for sale. It does take away from the value at this point in time. I think you would find a non import for around the same price within a few months if you are vigilent.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 12:48pm
Steve, I've found that many dealers do not know much about import marks. When pointed out to them they seldom offer to discount the firearm. You're lucky if they even thank you for enlightening them. The price you paid sounds fair, even for an import marked carbine. I'm anxious to see pictures of your new purchase, being a QHMC owner as well.
JackP
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 1:04pm
Keep in mind that in import mark is not leprosy, it is part of the carbine's history. It was indeed overseas, not just used in guarding the latrine at Ft. DIX (no pun). and may have more stories then an non-import. What you paid is not out of line with it's worth. IMO $115 off is a tad out of line, you would expect to buy a BLUE SKY IMPORT for that $750ish amount. I bought a STD PRO once from a gun store not seeing the mark, also Arlington,for $795. I shot it and enjoyed it.
bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 3:24pm
Found an Inland, alleged non-import, on Gunbroker awhile back selling for a similar price as the ops'. Very nice looking carbine. Dealer also indicated it was for sale in his shop so I made a call. Very nice fellow, emailed a lot more pictures, even a picture using an M2 round in the muzzle at my request. Saw the very tiny Arlington mark under the barrel on one of the pictures. Called him back that it was import marked. He was truly surprised to find that out but kept it at the same price even after I tried to negotiate a lower price. I bought it anyway. Dealer did include a used, but decent, extra 15 round GI magazine that I found when I opened the shipping box. Very pleased with the carbine.

Most dealers offer a three day, non-shooting inspection period. After that the buyer owns the gun.
OPs' dealer offered a return shipping label and to refund the purchase price after being informed of the import mark. Sounds reasonable.

David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 4:13pm
In my area $800 to $1,000 for a good shooter. I also find that unless it's a consignment gun the price is the price. With consignment guns many times the owner sets the price thinking they have something. 

I've seen 4 rifles within a week, a Remington 03, M1 Carbine, M1D and an M14 Tactical. After looking at the I and the gun dealer are of the opinion that they are parts guns with refurbished wood with forged stamps. They were priced wrong and too clean.
David Milisock
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2019 at 10:05am
If the item was sold as is, where is, then kudos to the seller for stepping up and offering a return. Import marks can be very hard to find. For a shooter, I wouldn’t care if it was import marked though I might try to get it cheaper. As mentioned by others, dealer may not know or care if import marked.

For a shooter, as long as it checks out function wise and I’m happy with the price paid, all would be well.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2019 at 8:58pm
OP, few folks would expect a collector grade for $830. But, still not s bad deal to get a shooter for that amount. I'd keep it and shoot it like I hate it., and have fun. That mark is barely noticeable. I know because I have the same stamp on an Inland shooter. I just put 100 rounds thru it this week and enjoyed a wonderful time with my carbine. Enjoy yours. The price was reasonably. 
gibby65 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibby65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2019 at 11:48pm
Thanks for the replies. I think that I am going to keep it.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2019 at 3:13pm
Your initial offer to the seller was very reasonable for an import marked gun. I don't know your seller and this isn't a indictment on him because I don't know his intentions, but it's been my experience that some sellers know you won't return it because you'll lose the 30 to 60 dollars you've already spent to get it to you.
It's also not acceptable for a seller to treat it as though it's an inspection period if he's listed it as non import marked. It's a failure on the seller's part.
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2019 at 6:24pm
send it back.  Make it his problem.
Retired First Sergeant, U.S. Army
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply