The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M2 in action at 240 FPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M2 in action at 240 FPS
    Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 6:04pm
Dave Tennent shares another video, An M2 carbine in action then in slow motion. You really get to see the action!
Take note of the magazine moving around.

Thanks Dave!
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 6:15pm
Thanks for the link. Looks like one of the last rounds jumped out of mag before chambering.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 7:00pm
Nothing like a slow-mo happy switch viideo. Thanks Dave T! Take a few drawer handles out of petty cash. ;-)

Mag is wiggling around all over the place. 
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 8:07pm
I’ve been debating on selling a few Carbine to come up with the extra cash to get my paperwork started on buying an M2
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 9:40pm
The only use I ever saw for a fully automatic shoulder weapon would have been for clearing a room; kick in door and spray for one side to the other......... otherwise I prefer one pull - one round. JMHO
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 9:46am
Road Rat I agree suppressive fire in my opinion is the proper use for full auto and even then only some times. Being surrounded and a long way from extraction is a unique experience, I'm not a fan of wasting supplies.
David Milisock
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 12:23pm
Of interest is that the original specifications for developing the M1 carbine called for select fire capability. It took quite a while to get it right. Spray and pray was never encouraged. Mag dumps are dumb.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by 1st M1 88 1st M1 88 wrote:

Thanks for the link. Looks like one of the last rounds jumped out of mag before chambering.

Good eye 1st M188,
Right @ 1:57 you'll see that last round fly out

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
BetsyMePoocho View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

Of interest is that the original specifications for developing the M1 carbine called for select fire capability. It took quite a while to get it right. Spray and pray was never encouraged. Mag dumps are dumb.

Correct you are.... AND unless the trigger holder is not sponsored by the US Gov very expensive........ 
Everyday I Strive To Be The Person My Dog Thinks I am......
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 5:45pm
Mag dumps are totally understandable. Full auto is not a necessity in our world. It's an enjoyable pursuit.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 8:42am
Of interest to me was the lack of support for the 30 round magazine in the video. I always thought 30 round mag support in the carbine to be marginal.
David Milisock
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 2:26pm
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 3:38pm
My thoughts on the magazine lockup is that in combat you carry new prepackaged mags for each insert. So the beating the mags take means little.

In the world today we reuse magazines over and over for years and that repeated shaking from side to side weakens the lockup. 

I'll have to double check but the shallow magazine well of the carbine may be the issue.
David Milisock
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

My thoughts on the magazine lockup is that in combat you carry new prepackaged mags for each insert. So the beating the mags take means little.

If the mag's were only used once maybe that is why battles are so expensive???  Good thought David, but I have to wonder........
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 5:06pm
Interesting videos, Dan.

Spray and pray was never encouraged. Mag dumps are dumb.

Maybe so, but full auto mag dumps are very effective when providing cover fire, and at the range they are down right fun.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 5:50pm
Huuummmm. Off topic I guess, but I didn’t start it. 357 Carbine. Makes me consider if I may want to pursue converting my 9mm to 357. Nah...I shoot 9mm reloads for about 5-cents each.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Interesting videos, Dan.

Maybe so, but full auto mag dumps are very effective when providing cover fire, and at the range they are down right fun.

Maybe so? Like laying patches on pavement, while "cool", it's dumb. Just wait a second or two until they're over. Expensive and accomplishes nothing.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 6:08pm

[/QUOTE]

Maybe so? Like laying patches on pavement, while "cool", it's dumb. Just wait a second or two until they're over. Expensive and accomplishes nothing.[/QUOTE]

Which way are our troops charging during this cover fire???
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by BetsyMePoocho BetsyMePoocho wrote:

Which way are our troops charging during this cover fire???

No one said anything about "Charging" but believe it or not there are instances when a squad or fire team member needs to move position whether it is left or right or even back and other members have to provide cover fire.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 7:33am
Reminiscing  back to 1968 and small unit actions...our first priority in a fire fight was to obtain fire superiority.  In other words, get the enemy down and taking cover.  The M-60 was invaluable in that regard and did it's job well in getting the enemy to take cover.  It was not uncommon for the grunts to empty one or two M14/M16 magazines during the initial engagement.  Most of the grunts carried at least 8 loaded mags and a stash of loose rounds.  I carried 6 loaded clips for my M1911A1.

W5USMC is right about changes in position during the fire fight.  We had instances where our Corpsman was caught in a vulnerable position and needed to move ASAP.  Many times our "skipper" was in a position that hindered his ability to control the action and needed to relocate.  I was the radioman/FO and many times needed to change position so I could better observe the enemy and direct artillery fire as needed.

Also, we reused our magazines many times.  I only got "new" ones when one was lost or damaged; "new" mags/clips were typically used but functional.

Sorry for the digression, now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>