Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Photo of the Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 604flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 10:34pm
Cool photo! The trooper is carrying my favorite collectible in front of the helicopter that I started my aviation career in 43 years ago. Thanks for posting.
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2022 at 2:04pm
Four of my father’s older brothers served in WWII; here is Cpl Frank Rau, 9th Air Force
T R
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2022 at 3:27pm

Looks like some code talkers to me.
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2022 at 5:07pm
I just picked up a grouping of wartime pictures from a Seabee vet. The seller said she was the vet’s daughter and that he served in the 128th and 146th Battalions. Both were active on Okinawa. The two pictures below are supposed to have been taken there and do look just like other photos I’ve seen that were definitely taken on Okinawa. No dates on the back, but I’d say these are definitely after the island was secured. The daughter said they were definitely taken in 1945 based on her Father’s service dates.

While these don’t show type 3 barrel band equipped carbines in the thick of combat, it does show them in theater during wartime.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2022 at 6:41pm
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2022 at 10:47am
CarbineKid, we are on the same facebook group. I took a screen shot of that picture, and was going to post it today as the photo of the day but you beat me to it! Very cool. I have a picture of my grandfather on land on Okinawa, but he was a gunners assistant (or something like that) on a PT boat, but I have no idea why he was on land. His photo, isnt carrying a rifle, but posing in front of a large rock formation, with a cave entrance right next to him. That is about all I know about it, except that it was taken before the end of 45. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2022 at 11:21am
Recently posted on USMilitaria.
Identified as US Army Special Forces Sgt preparing for jump early 1960s

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2022 at 9:39am
I wonder how many stock broke this way?
Abel4287 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abel4287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2022 at 6:20pm
An out numbered Garand
USMC 2111
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2022 at 8:00pm
Source? Location? 
Looks like its been cropped.
Abel4287 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Abel4287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2022 at 8:55pm
here is what I have on it:: December 9, 1944
"These soldiers of the 357. or Regiment, 90. to Infantry Division, were fighting the enemy last night across the Sarre River near Dillingen. "They just received word that they are part of the 64 U.S. soldiers to be granted a thirty-day leave at home plus 2 months of travel time." They have all received the Purple Heart and several other decorations for outstanding acts of courage. L a R , ( sitting ).. Regards to Sgt. Thomas L. Chamberlain, Kansas City, MO; S/Sgt. Merle A. Welfare, Ledyard, Ia.; Sgt. Joseph Dorner, New England, North Dakota; and from left to right (standing)... S/Sgt. Ed Melton, Haskell, Texas; Private James Jirles, Aphens, Tennessee; S/Sgt.. Albert J. Apple, Fondo, Texas; S/Sgt. Victor E. Wold, Friday Harbor, Wn.; and T/Sgt. Albert E. Lambright , Yellow , Texas . ( A ) .
USMC 2111
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2022 at 3:54pm

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2022 at 11:20am
Posted by a member of my family, this is my great Uncle John Byrd Foster. I have reached out to her and asked for details on the picture of her Dad, but haven’t heard back. I just saw it and asked her last night. She Lives in Virginia now so I never see or talk with her, but I will update when I find out more, but based on features of the carbine I would say it’s taken in WW2
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

A muzzle cover in action

Another. 

"The 10th Mountain Division advancing in Italy in April 1945"
 Original photographer and source not given.
Posted here https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/06/01/us-army-in-italy-1944-45-ii/
as much larger jpg

Abel4287 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Abel4287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 4:52pm
Man’s best friends: “Kip” and his U.S. Marine handler on Iwo Jima in March, 1945. The Marine is armed with a M1 Carbine that has been fitted with a M8 grenade launcher. Image: U.S.M.C. History Division
USMC 2111
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2022 at 4:38pm

Looks like Tech Sgt with map case?
On his belt - those look like a pockets on a rifle belt.  Or ?
Twisted wire in foreground.  communication line?  fence?

Captioned
"WWII M1 Carbine 10th Mountain Division Sergeant Italy 1944"
Larger scan available there that can be downloaded.

Also posted in 2020 on the following forum page amongst other photos from campaign in the Italian mountains.

Print copies being sold on e-bay.  Same title as Italian website used

WW2 Photo WWII M1 Carbine 10th Mountain Division Sergeant Italy 1944 / 1403

My guess is this was a press photo or US Army photo

Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2022 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Abel4287 Abel4287 wrote:

<span style="caret-color: rgb34, 34, 34; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: "Gotham SSm A", "Gotham SSm B", sans-serif; font-size: 12px; text-align: center; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba0, 0, 0, 0; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; : rgb239, 239, 239;">Man’s best friends: “Kip” and his U.S. Marine handler on Iwo Jima in March, 1945. The Marine is armed with a M1 Carbine that has been fitted with a M8 grenade launcher. Image: U.S.M.C. History Division4695-432D-8C08-5C855F5729F8.jpeg" height="866" width="768" /></span>

Judging by the color of the Marines M8 launcher on the end, he had plenty of action that's for sure. Scorched from hard use
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2022 at 1:04pm

Men of 'L' Squadron SBS (Special Boat Squadron) investigate the ruins of the Acropolis in Athens, 13-14 October 1944.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2022 at 4:49pm
A related photo that has been posted this forum or CMP? previously.  I can't recall or find where but it generated some discussion.  I'm not sure if the original source was known. so here it is.

Corporal Aubrey of the SBS (Special Boat Service) sharpens his fighting knife as he prepares for combat.

original full description.

Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2022 at 8:48pm

Four of my father’s brothers served in WWII. Here is a photo taken by one of them, T5 Gerhart Rau, of his buddy Reinert (last name unknown to me) somewhere in Germany 1945. Both in the 184th Ordnance Depot Co of the 3rd Army.
T R
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>