Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Photo of the Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 7:22am
I do not know whether that picture was ever posted on here so I submit it as i think it is an amazingly interesting one.
It depicts a Airborne trooper shooting a bazooka. But of interest is the M1A1 (without bayonet lug as it should be), for sure but even more the M4 Carbine bayonet in lieu of the ubiquitous M3 trench knife.
This picture is late WWII maybe in Holland as would suggest the M43 uniforms (adapted according to para fashion commonly known as rigger modification).

Note: pict from another wabsite.
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 1:54pm
Oops, my gosh (Yes I know I do more speak Brit Than US English!)!
I just notice I must be blind and before someone else correct me (and certainly will vow me to go to hell and burn forever) I went fast speaking about a bazooka when a close look on the main weapon seems to show a 57mm recoilessgun!
My mistake plain and simple as well as a lesson to learn: do not take for granted the legend on whatever picture out from nowhere...
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 2:08pm
The error in identifying the weapon is just chunk change in my opinion. It does not detract from an otherwise great photo of a carbine in use.
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
firstflabn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstflabn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 2:19pm

Edited by firstflabn - May 23 2021 at 10:24pm
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by firstflabn firstflabn wrote:

That's a 57mm Recoilless Rifle, not a bazooka. Pic is from Operation Varsity, late Mar 45, 17 AB Div.

Not sure why it's a surprise to see M4 Bayonet in the field 8 months after production began.

It is just that it is, to say the list, seldom seen or so I think.
I know that the M4 was mean to replace the M3, bayonet lug or not but as far as I know picture of them do not seem to be around by the load.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 11:10am
My Father served in the 17th during Operation Varsity. He was a BAR man with Headquarters Co. Glider Infantry. Yes, they did use a few 57mm Recoilless Rifles, but not many. He didn't like the back blast. Much worst than a bazooka. Saw several guys hurt by them. He carried an M3 trench knife. And the glidermen also had a lot of M1A1s.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote firstflabn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 2:58pm

Edited by firstflabn - May 23 2021 at 10:23pm
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 5:46pm
firstflabn keeps his pencil sharp !
He never ceases to amaze me with his research abilities.
Not sure how much fun he'd be on a long road trip.... but I always enjoy reading his replies.

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:42pm

Roy Dunlop performing field maintenance on carbines with his “crew” - Luzon, Philippines, 1945.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote firstflabn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 3:08pm

Edited by firstflabn - May 23 2021 at 10:22pm
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by firstflabn firstflabn wrote:

Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Not sure how much fun he'd be on a long road trip....

Charlie-Painter777

No worries, Charlie; you probably wouldn't be invited anyway.Confused

Touche'
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 1:21pm

Winchester Ad in June 1943 issue of “Sports Afield” magazine
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 2:18pm
Source: Hidden: Battle: Hidden

Source: UEF News and CCNL, I think)

Source: Can't remember, perhaps an internet auction years ago

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2020 at 9:41am
From the June 2020 issues of Leatherneck Magazine, posted with their permission.

Edited by W5USMC - May 09 2022 at 10:47pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2020 at 1:57pm
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2020 at 8:15pm
Pardon the resurrection and/or the large photo but I figured you all would like this:

Reportedly, this is a Tennessee state trooper with a rebuilt M1. I'm not sure when the photo was taken but it was too cool not to share!
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2020 at 11:11pm
1989Lx,
Your picture reminded me of one I had tucked away. I don't think I've posted this here but did on 'another forum'.
The Michigan State Police had a monthly newsletter called The Post-er. This article and picture were published in 1957.  The MSP adopted the M1A1 after a bank robbery in Jackson, Mi and a long interstate pursuit of the felons. One MSP Trooper was killed and another wounded in a gun fight. The felons fled to Indiana where a IST was killed in another gun fight and a 2nd Trooper was wounded before the felons were caught. At the time, the MSP had nothing to penetrate a vehicle except for a bolt action 30.06 which wasn't practical in the confined space of a car. 

You'll have to magnify the article and picture for best view.

Page 1
post-118-1323968864.jpg

Page 2
post-118-1323969174.jpg
Note that the article states this is the first Semi-Automatic weapon ever used by the MSP.
The carbines staged pictures were at the old State Police Training Bureau / Post in East Lansing, Mi on the west edge of Michigan State University. That post being closed quite a few years ago now.
The article also states that the M1 has a maximum range of 600 yards. (?)
Must have been thinking of the Garand.......

Charlie-P777
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 7:07pm
Here is a submission by a member
A Vietcong woman with a rose and a carbine.
Note how the sling is ties to the stock as mentioned elsewhere on the forums.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/vietcong_woman1.jpg
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 10:52pm
Who ever submitted this picture of this VC woman, Thanks....
GUNS AND ROSES
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2022 at 10:13am
A muzzle cover in action

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/MuzzleCover.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>