The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB/T: Original Inland Flip Sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB/T: Original Inland Flip Sight
    Posted: Aug 28 2019 at 11:05pm
Drilled out peep hole?
That was why I was so surprised it sold for so much.

Maybe easier to see thru with low light conditions.
Similar to those who V cut the leaf.
My Father said he seen many cut to a V while in the Philippines.

I paid $50.00 for my last round S base with unmarked leaf, received June 6.
4 horrible pictures, no real description and grimy as the underside of a Ford pick up during a Michigan winter. Cleaned up real nice. Just beware of the Tutorial type descriptions.

Also recently swapped a Sq S from a friends Carbine for a round S, unmarked leaf for a later Inland.... even up. 
It's not about the money to many of us that love the hobby and history.

Cheers,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2019 at 9:14pm
@newscot - Not sure of the going rate. For some reason, the ones I see sell on eBay for big bucks (north of $150) are mostly fake. The ones that are original or at least what I think are original on eBay usually go for less. The one I sold to col.mosby went for under $100.

@col.mosby - newscot is in my opinion one of the most knowledgable carbine collectors. He's written many Carbine Club Newsletters including manufacturer updates. At the next show, I'll show you some of them. I had a few with me at RIR, but forgot to show all of our visitors. What I wouldn't give for him and a few other collectors to join us at a show. That would be a real treat learning from them.

@painter - So strange seeing a giant hole in the leaf. Why drill a hole in it? A better sight picture?
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2019 at 8:44pm
Dan, If need be feel free to crop these pictures.... Thank You.

Recent Example:
I seen a Flip sell June 2nd on auction for $204.50 that the seller said was marked W-I on the Leaf.
But also said the base wasn't marked.
Pictures seem to show part of a S on the Left Base..... Might have had the S~ but can't say for sure.
The right base looks rough, making it hard to tell if it was marked at one time.
The short leaf had been modified with the peep hole being drilled out larger, but there was no mention of that in the description.

Base looks to be Original, But:
Bottom of the base reminds me of the ones we used to find with the tiny hole in it. I can't remember if those were for Ivers, sold by Numrich. Can't tell need better pictures. (See it in link pictures).

Completed Auction Link: 

FWIW,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2019 at 11:13am
What is the going rate for an original Inland flip sight (S with squiggle line and WI marked aperture)? I might have one for sale.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2019 at 7:49am
@jackp - nice looking SP. Dave has one with him at the show.

@ten - thanks for the review. I’m glad it turned out o.k.

@col.mosby - Should you run into an Inland rear sight for sale, please reach out to other members for a review. I’ll keep an eye out for one and I hope others will do the same. There is one for sale right now on eBay and even I can tell it isn’t real (like the one we saw on gunbroker). No hard feelings as there is always room for carbine collectors to learn, me included. My hope is that others members can benefit from this thread regardless if it turned out well for me or not. I’m gong to ask Dan if there’s a way to preserve in some other way than a WTB/WTT. Anyway, hope to see you at the next show and stay in touch. One more thing, perhaps you can ask a your question about how to tighten up the rear sight pin on your carbine so you it isn’t loose? There are lots of folks here with gunsmith experience. Those skill sets are above my pay grade. I just take them apart, document, preserve and put back together. Now there is an idea. At the next show, do a hands on thing where new collectors are taught how to take their carbines apart. I would still recommend a function check at Gus’s booth though.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 6:03pm
Yeah, that looks real too.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 3:39pm
Thank you Ten! I've been following this thread with dread. My STD PRO has a rear sight that looks exactly like the one shown above. Only it was so loose I had to stick a relatively thick shim underneath it to keep it from moving around in the dovetail. That and the rough angle of the top of each flip aperture made me suspect it might be a repro. I'll attach a picture so you can see what I mean. If you look closely, you can see the shim.

Thanks again.

JackP
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 2:37pm
It looks real.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 12:20pm
Agreed. If things don’t turn out well, it will be a good lesson not just in what to look for, but also in the club’s honesty policy and standing behind what one sells. I think these are all of the pictures, 6 total I think. If I missed one let me know. Also tried to post them as big as possible for all to see. I have also forwarded the email Larry sent me with the pics to Doug. Larry, If Doug needs more pictures, please send them to both of us.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 10:39am
Definitely post some pics and we'll comment on how it looks.

I'll say this as it's an opportune time: new people, all the info to ID parts has been posted over the many years on the several sites and newsletters so it's not a tightly held secret for people genuinely interested in engaging in Carbines. It takes an investment of time and some money (on purpose--so you value it). But all you have to do is search and read. Just telling someone how to do it is like calling a potential employer for someone else asking for a job for them.  People helped me along the way along with the copious amounts of time and money I invested. And in return I've helped people shortcut the process so they didn't have to make as large of an investment without pretty well knowing in advance the part was good before they spent the money.

So I'm trying to say:
-we aren't keeping it a secret.
-the info is all out there.
-it's not in bullet format on purpose.
-we want you to engage, learn, preserve, share.

A bunch of us could put it in bullet terms or even with 6-7 images with text attached. We decided we don't want that done. Develop a relationship here.

Before the internet the process was different and there were people (still are people) who want to farm the less informed for their money. It was like a feudal system. The purpose is NOT so someone who knows this stuff can charge you for it or to own you by being the one to sell you parts. And for buyers on other sites a person or two has really whined that someone wasn't given them what they wanted for free when they want it, all the while offering nothing in return.

Edited by tenOCEE - Aug 27 2019 at 11:27am
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 9:14am
All,

The flip sight I sold to col.mosby is under review. The results will be posted here. Stay tuned as it may be a learning experience for club members including myself.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 9:53pm
@Ten, Larry's a good guy, I met him at a show today we met other club members and displayed our carbines. Col.mosby and I had a great time talking carbines and laughing at a rear sight on GB. I'm clearing out most of my parts and he bought my last flipper, a square S to replace his which has a broken/loose pin. It's not the correct sight for his carbine, but he's hoping to trade it for a correct one.

@col.mosby, Ten is our resident flip sight expert. Feel free to share pictures of the flip I sold you. I think it is original, but if not, I'll issue a full refund and when I sell it again, I'll list it as appropriate.

Not trying to rip anybody off. Without our integrity, we have nothing.

Cheers!

Edited by m1a1fan - Aug 26 2019 at 5:30am
col. mosby View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote col. mosby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 7:05pm
OK.  What do you propose?  Email or phone?
Thanks 
Larry

Larry C.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 6:52pm
Ted. We need to talk. Broken Heart
col. mosby View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote col. mosby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 5:53pm
I met one of the moderators today at the Richmond, Va. gun show.  I think his name was Ted (bad w/names).  Heck of a nice guy and knowledgeable .  We discussed flip sights and some things to look for when trying to determine if one is original vs. all of the fakes out there.  I purchased an original Winchester/Saginaw/Standard products flip sight from him.  I am looking to trade that sight for a early original Inland type 1 flip sight that is proper for Inland serial # 464xxx.  Please PM me if you have one and we can proceed from there.
Thanks.
Larry
Larry C.
 Post Reply Post Reply