Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type 2 barrel band marking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.O.N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type 2 barrel band marking
    Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 10:32pm
First Post here by a new member, so if I mess up please let me know but forgive me.

I recently purchased a third block (April 44) Rock-Ola.  Correct for that carbine is a type 2 barrel band, unmarked.  The one on the carbine is a type 2 that seems to have a small triangle with two squared corners, but no letters in the triangle or anywhere else.  It’s so faint I can’t even take a picture of it.  Can only see it magnified under pretty bright light.  I’ve read that Inland had some marked with a triangle with PI in it, but this definitely isn’t that.  Anybody seen this before and know what it is?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 11:11pm
there is no PI in a triangle t2 band.  It is really the letters A over S. The A frame looks like the top of triangle  and the wide squat S is the lower part
 I suspect the little squares are the curves of the S that you are seeing.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 11:17pm
Welcome !

Here is a picture of the type used on some Inlands. The inner letters are worn away. It would of had the letters AS intertwined for American Swiss. The only triangular shaped type II, I can think of right now. But I'm tired and my flight was cancelled.

Is your's // ?  Is marking on the left or right?
Someone will step up and help if I miss you.

Cheers
Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
desert-storm View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desert-storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 11:25pm
American Swiss for Inland. A over S.   Many have mistakenly ID this as a PI in a pendant which is not correct.  American Swiss type 2 bands are usally a lightly struck stamp.

Edited by desert-storm - Aug 23 2019 at 4:19am
D.O.N. View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.O.N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2019 at 11:17pm
Thanks to everybody for the replies.  It is a very light stamp, but I’d say that it’s definitely the American Swiss.  (It was the “M1family.com” website parts stamping listings where I saw the reference to a PI in a pennant.)  Larry Ruth in “Warbaby” identifies American Swiss as a barrel band subcontractor for Inland, but not for Rock-Ola.  Nor does Ruth show ANY barrel bands integrated to Rock-Ola from any other prime contractor.  So here’s my problem:  The carbine barrel is Rock-ola, undated, and shows no sign of the (Rock-ola correctly marked) front sight ever being removed (the pin is stacked on both sides).  Also, the carbine has never been through Ordnance rework; it still has an unmodified type one sear, a type one trigger, the short mag catch plunger and spring, and the type two barrel band, all of which had Ordnance rebuild modification or replacement requirements.  So it couldn’t have stayed in the US system after WWII.  It has no import marks, so I figure it pretty much had to be a GI bring back.  So how did it get the American Swiss barrel band, seemingly as an original part?  It’s a very late block three serial number, which Ruth says should be unmarked or marked with a “\”.  Any ideas?  Has anybody else run across this?  Thanks in advance.

D.O.N.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2019 at 7:52am
We really need more pictures of your RMC, especially the front sight from different angles and any other ones you feel will help tell your story. BTW, arsenal rebuilds could either complete or anything in-between and that doesn't even touch field level changes or what happens when parts are swapped by collectors. One last thing, do NOT imagine this is a bring back just because there's no import marks. There is all kind of scenarios for a weapon like the carbine to make the trip back to the states other than a GI stuffing it into his duffle bag or other ways.
 Post Reply Post Reply