The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pulling out what little hair I have left.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pulling out what little hair I have left.
    Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 8:55pm
Just received  two new 15 round mags from auto ordnance to accompany my 10 round mags from another mfg. I also have a 20  (?30) mag that came with my plainfield carbine. It has been gone through fully including new extractor ejector, springs etc. I get a real high number of failure to feed, failure to extract. and now the new mags previously unused. are almost impossible to place and lock in the action.. This occurs with remington , winchester, and Aquila factory loads and my reloads too. What could I have missed in all of this? All I want is a rifle that cycles reliably. Please, any and all suggestions welcome. 
THE oldfart69
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 11:08pm
One, how well do the lock up? There should not be much wiggle, if there is I have no real solution. Two, I had a similar issue and when looking at the faulty mag held directly side by side from the front view feed ramp edge of a mag that worked I noticed a slight difference in the curl of one of the feed lips. A pair of needle nose pliers and a few seconds fixed it.

BE GENTLE!
David Milisock
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 5:18am
Are all these commercial type magazines? Some commercials are known to be problematic. There can also be slight tolerance differences between commercial housings and GI housings. Make sure you have a good GI mag or one of the recent Korean mags., which are known to be reliable. 

As I recall, this was a recent acquisition? Maybe it never did feed properly? If the mags won’t even insert and lock in place properly, it never will feed properly. If the lips interfere with bolt travel, it’s never going to be reliable.

Edited by floydthecat - Aug 22 2019 at 5:53am
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 7:26am
And are the springs USGI or Wolf? Start with USGI mags.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 8:45am
By the way.... you are not an oldfart yet. When you reach my age, you may be an oldfart😁.

I know you would like simple answers, but sometimes you can’t find that in a problem gun. I have one carbine that will misfire and deliver light primer strikes when a stock GI hammer spring is installed. It runs like a champ with a weakened hammer spring. It took me a LONG time to figure that one out. Guns that have issues can be trial-and-error head-scratchers. I don’t have much hair anymore either.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 11:27am
Is this the same Plainfield carbine that has the "hump" in the middle of the feed ramp?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Is this the same Plainfield carbine that has the "hump" in the middle of the feed ramp?

I called myself going back to look for the thread concerning one that had a cracked TH and a warped bolt. I don’t think this is the same gun, but oldfart can straighten us out on that. I think this was a recent purchase?
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 1:06pm
I read some where about replacement mags that had issues with the nubbies on the back.
They were too low..... Or too high (?)
Or were too close..... or too far apart.
No Help.... But I did read it some where.

Double check that the little Extractor plunger is squared away resting on the Extractor.

A picture of the front of your assembled bolt and a picture of the feed ramp may help.
These guys will get you going.

Good Luck,
CH-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 2:13pm
it is, but I have compared it to others at my range and the hump is present in all of them,  thanks!
THE oldfart69
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 4:00pm
Now I remember. That ramp reminded me of an M4 AR feed ramp. I have an IJ and a gen-1 Universal on hand. Neither has a dual feed ramp. I hate to grind on good guns, but if all else fails... that may be something to look at. Some GI carbine ramps were highly polished as I recall.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by oldfart69 oldfart69 wrote:

it is, but I have compared it to others at my range and the hump is present in all of them,  thanks!

Maybe the same gun smith in your area is screwing up more than one carbine.

Here's the thing, of my 13 carbines (granted all usgi) none have a "hump" like that in the center of the feed ramp. Below is a picture of your feed ramp as well as another Plainfield feed ramp taken from the Plainfield section off of the main site for comparison. My thought is, in order to get a ridge "hump" in the center as predominate as there is on your feed ramp, then there has been considerable polishing (grinding) away of original metal. Possibly resulting in way too much of the original ramp removed, what is left of your feed ramp is no longer guiding the bullet into the chamber like it should.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 10:31pm
Wayne,
If you look just above your circle,
Do you see what looks like dings and dents on the bottom rim face of the chamber?
Looks like the bullet tips could or are often hitting there.

I'd still like to see the front bottom of his bolt to see the condition of the lead in ramp/bump.

CH-P777
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 11:19pm
Charlie, I do see what your talking about and it sure looks like dents in the picture, oldfart will have to confirm whether it actually is dinged up.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 12:55pm
So, is this repairable or should I just make it a wall hanger? 
THE oldfart69
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 2:55pm
Olefart69,
Can you manually cycled rounds in and out of it without interruption?

I've seen heavily used M2 receivers where the feed ramp has developed a groove on either side something like this-
.......... /\........ but don't ever recall a ridge like seen on yours.
I don't know if there is enough of a ramp left on yours to allow for more polishing to correct a feed problem. But before scrapping a receiver I'd have to attempt it.
Only after everything else has been checked out and ruled good to go.
Polished/grinding as a last resort kind of thing.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 3:15pm
These don't have extreme wear. But maybe you can see enough to see what I mean.

HTH,
CH-P777

oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Olefart69,
Can you manually cycled rounds in and out of it without interruption?

I've seen heavily used M2 receivers where the feed ramp has developed a groove on either side something like this-
.......... /\........ but don't ever recall a ridge like seen on yours.
I don't know if there is enough of a ramp left on yours to allow for more polishing to correct a feed problem. But before scrapping a receiver I'd have to attempt it.
Only after everything else has been checked out and ruled good to go.
Polished/grinding as a last resort kind of thing.

is the feed ramp part of the receiver or barrel? Just trying to learn here. if this goes on so it bothers the admins just let me know, thanks

THE oldfart69
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 8:26pm
yes, I can manually cycle live rounds just fine. i guess being as I am a little slow due to the ravages of oldness, it gives it enough time. 
THE oldfart69
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by oldfart69 oldfart69 wrote:

is the feed ramp part of the receiver or barrel? Just trying to learn here.

The feed ramp is part of the receiver. One thing, I know that you have mentioned trying a number of different magazines but I do not recall if any have been USGI mags, as mentioned by other members USGI magazines are the way to go. I personally think that your receiver's over ground feed ramp is the problem but USGI mags are not very expensive and may be worth a try.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 8:50pm
so here is the unedited picture of the area in question. I am not sure but this could just be the area I used a dental scaler on to try and make use there was no crud in the receiver. 
THE oldfart69
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>