The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pulling out what little hair I have left.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2019 at 11:30pm
Wayne Thx for putting up the link.
If piston is stuck, which I don't believe is the case here.
I don't understand why more don't mention using a strong magnet on it After it has been soaked in the cleaning solvent of your choice. I use Ole Hoppes #9 it does a good job for me.
In the video I wish he would have shown cleaning the inside, to include twisting a drill bit with your fingers to clear the gas port hole.

Oldfart69,
You really just need the nut wrench. Unless you have rough inner threads.
You might have someone near by to borrow one from, plenty of Carbine guys in Wash State.
But use the Gas Nut Wrench..... DO NOT TRY PLIERS... ETC.

Link to listings on Ebay for a Wrench:

Keep us informed,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 7:28am
Rob doesn't post on Carbine sites anymore does he?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Rob doesn't post on Carbine sites anymore does he?

I was with Rob the other night. Does not get online much but still does shows and has carbine and garand stuff.
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Originally posted by oldfart69 oldfart69 wrote:

Where can I find some instructions on how to clear it? Youtube? somewhere else. thanks a million pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99HPXZMmrc

THANKS!
THE oldfart69
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Bubba-7 Bubba-7 wrote:

After all you have done, I would check the gas nut to see if it is the late style.  While it is out, I would size the gas port and be sure it is at least 0.070" dia.  Then clean it.

All of the magazines are new manufacture except the 30 round (?20 round) that came with it. 
THE oldfart69
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 10:16pm
new news today, by buddy notices that my m1carb does not "throw the empties" anywhere near as far as his does .
THE oldfart69
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2019 at 7:10pm
I am putting my friends bolt in my carbine and testing again on Thrusday, one more item to rule in or out.
THE oldfart69
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2019 at 8:58pm
Start with your barrelled action ONLY and put your friend's parts on. You'll never find your problem unless you start from the basics. Swapping a good part into a mix of bad parts won't tell you anything. Unless you get lucky. But that's why Gawd gave you smarts.
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2019 at 7:08pm
Report from yesterday: Good news! The bolt did the job. Ordered a new flat top from old stock today and it will be here Monday. I also tried tuning the mags while waiting for the bolt. Don't know if I did a good job on them as some youtubes say loop forward some say backwards. We will find out next week. have a good weekend you guys and thanks once again. 
THE oldfart69
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2019 at 7:37pm
The only time I have ever had a mag issue was self inflicted. I had one of my carbines out last week with my trusty RUGG. Darn thing started miss-feeding. Then I remembered I had dropped that mag on a ceramic tile floor last week. When I looked at it, the right front was slightly bent inward. I pulled it out, used it and it never faltered. 
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2019 at 6:24pm
hopefully (fingers crossed), finally got my replacement bolt and verified new old stock mags. I installed the bolt loaded up the mags and went to the range. 100 rounds through it with not one ftl, ftf, or fte. Seems we have rounded the bend by the way I went with a an inland round bolt (they didn't have any flats), also, they are great to deal with . two thumbs up. And thanks again to all of you for your patient help. I am going to have bunches of fun with this firearm. 

THE oldfart69
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2019 at 7:38pm
They replaced the flat with the round bolt for a reason. The rounds have a larger lip on the bottom face to better strip rounds from the mag and round bolts fit tighter in the receiver channel. I have a carbine that simply does not like a flat bolt, which works perfectly in another carbine. A round bolt affords better alignment. The flat bolts may be sexy, but the smart people that built the carbines invented the round bolt on purpose.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2019 at 2:02pm
This is a great post, lot's to learn here. I had a similar problem with a late Universal it kept jamming no matter what mags I used. After replacing most everything available, it turned out the magazine well in the trigger housing was badly worn out, when I put in a mag it would wiggle all around including up and down. This was an aluminum housing in a very late Universal. I found another trigger housing group on eBay, won the bid and got it, this one was also aluminum but the mags fit real tight like they should, they didn't exhibit any wear, I think it was a much earlier trigger group better quality, even looked better. When Universal moved from Florida the quality went way down. Also I think the owner before me must have shot the gun the gun to death. When I got I had to clean the crap out of it including taking a rusted and frozen gas piston out, a real pain. I had to learn just like was done here, some things aren't black and white, or even the normal bad suspects.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123